PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Duramax

Milkman
10-16-2002, 20:07
Hello everyone!

I have not posted that many messages over the last few years but I have been in the shadows learning all about the truck I decided to buy..A 2003 Duramax/Alison(new blue).

All I can say is, I love this truck! I got out of a Toyota Tundra and WOW! Everything I expected and more. I have only 250 kilometers on it as we speak so I guess I should get off the net and go sit in it at least!

Thanks for all the info. It helped my purchase!

Now if I can only figure out if the ONSTAR calling works in Canada I will be all set!

Keith

[ 10-16-2002: Message edited by: Milkman ]</p>

BobNelson
10-17-2002, 11:46
Wecome to the world of smiles. If your 03 runs as well as my 01, you will have a constant smile on your face... Have fun with it.. :D :D

Milkman
10-18-2002, 15:28
Thanks Bob!

Just getting used to her! I am most impressed with the new Bose stereo and new computer. Without cruise set I would definately be on the wrong side of the law!!
On a side note, I seem to be developing the dreaded tick..On and off right now. Only 800kms on it or so though..

Keith

James S
10-18-2002, 15:39
Hey Keith,

I would be really interested to know what kind of milage you are getting in town and on the highway. Also, please indicate if it is in US gallons or imperial gallons. To convert to imperial, multiply your milage number by 1.2 to go from Us to imperial gallons. Or, if you have it indicated in litres per hundred kilometres, you can give me that and I will figure it out. I would like to know the milage on the highway for when you are travelling one-hundred kilometres per hour, if you don't mind as I will be doing extensive highway driving with my truck. Thanks for this. I am about to get a 2500HD crew cab with the long box and Alison transmission. Hope to hear from you soon.

James

Milkman
10-18-2002, 18:55
James,

I will get you all that info in the next few days. I just have not had the time to enter my fuel receipts into my Excel program. I have only put in 2 tanks of fuel so far. If this helps you for the time being, I got aproximately 600 kms out of my first fill-up.
Are you a fellow Canuck?

Keith

BobNelson
10-18-2002, 19:00
Keith.... send an email to (done)and I will attach my excel file on my mileage from day one... might give you a sample to go by..

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: BobNelson ]</p>

Milkman
10-18-2002, 21:02
Consider it done Bob!!

Thanks a bunch!! :cool: :cool:

Keith

Milkman
10-24-2002, 22:16
James,

According to my computer, I am getting 13.2 l/100kms as an average between my first 4 tanks. I am travelling approximately 80% hwy and 20% city/town. It seems way too easy to speed in this thing!! I am averaging 120km/h most of the time but I am using cruise more now to keep the speeds down low. As soon as I get a chance I will enter my receipts into the Excel Sheet that Bob sent me.

Hope this helps

Keith

Hey Keith,
I would be really interested to know what kind of milage you are getting in town and on the highway. Also, please indicate if it is in US gallons or imperial gallons. To convert to imperial, multiply your milage number by 1.2 to go from Us to imperial gallons. Or, if you have it indicated in litres per hundred kilometres, you can give me that and I will figure it out. I would like to know the milage on the highway for when you are travelling one-hundred kilometres per hour, if you don't mind as I will be doing extensive highway driving with my truck. Thanks for this. I am about to get a 2500HD crew cab with the long box and Alison transmission. Hope to hear from you soon.

James

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Milkman ]</p>

conradv
10-24-2002, 22:42
I've had the tick since I fired 'er up at mile 3.

but it's really not "dreaded", most have it, and Isuzu says it's normal.

Mostly it depends on the oil used and will last about 100 miles after an oil change and fade away.

search on this site about it.

Milkman
10-25-2002, 13:14
Yes,

I am aware of it. I have been following things around here for about 2 years and I guess I had hoped I would get "lucky" or that changes had been made to alleviate things. No problem though. As you say, it is not really that dreaded. The way it has been described, I imagined my truck ticking like an amplified metronome inside a hockey arena &lt;grin&gt;. What is your average MPG anyway? My average according to my computer is around 17MPG or so but that is travelling pretty fast. I think if I kept my foot out of it I could see 19 or 20.

Thanks

Keith

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Milkman ]</p>

James S
10-25-2002, 14:58
Hey Keith,

I calculated out your milage based on the 13.2 litres per hundred kilometers. It says on your computer that you are getting between seventeen and eighteen miles per gallon. That is exactly right, BUT IN US GALLONS. To convert to imperial gallons multiply that number by 1.2, to get imperial gallons. So you are getting about 21 to 23 miles per imperial gallon. Hell, if you are getting that kind of milage, when you are traveling 120 kilometers an hour, I would bet you would get 25 maybe even 26 miles per imperial gallon, when travelling 100 kilometers an hour. That's great, and keep enjoying the truck.

James
PS, What do you think a rough guess would be, for your acceleration time from zero to one-hundred kilometers an hour? I ask this of you because your truck is bone stock. I have heard times from others who have power mods on their trucks, but not from anyone with a bone stock, truck. If you could give me a rough guess, I would appreciate it.

conradv
10-25-2002, 15:01
Ah, so THAT'S what the timer is for on my 2003!

Milkman
10-27-2002, 22:40
James,

I will attempt a shot at timing it tomorrow. If I had to guess, I would say 9 secs or so. I set cruise at 100km/hr tonight for 100kms just for Sh(*&ts and giggles to see what would happen. My instant mileage(on computer) was around 11-12L/100kms which is better yet. My average setting(on computer) still has not budged from the 13's though. Man, that trip computer can become addictive!! I find myself leaving it on "instant mileage" and adjusting my throttle for best economy!!

One point of interest though. I have noticed that the truck runs slightly quieter and more fuel efficient with certain brand name fuels.

Keith

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: Milkman ]</p>