PDA

View Full Version : magnetic Fumoto valve?

biker Wayne
10-17-2002, 12:04
The drain plug is magnetic to hold any small metallic pieces that are in the oil. Is there anything magnetic about a Fumoto value to hold the metal pieces???
Thanks.

mackin
10-17-2002, 15:12
No it's Brass......A Non Ferrous alloy......

MAC

MEP
10-17-2002, 18:24
I just bought a magnetic drain plug from avlube.com. Very good, but you need a 7/8" wrench to remove.

MEP

ChevysRus
10-17-2002, 21:29
Yea I bought one too and then I can't remember where I put it. Every time I change the oil I spend an hour or so looking for that darn new magnetic drain plug.

I think it might be stuck to something! LOL ha ha ha

The daggone factory plug was in so tight I rounded the head getting it out and it has to be put back in real tight or it will weep and drip oil. I can't get it any tighter for fear of really rounding it and not being able to get it out again and never being able to change the oil. Now I have a drip in my driveway under the truck from the guldarn plug not being "super" tight.

I guess if I round that puppie completely I will just have to trade in the truck when the oil change is due or maybe I should just spend $9 bucks and get another magnetic drain plug from AVLube. Soon's I do that the first one will pop up for sure. Man the darndest things we old farts have to put up with. LOl ha ha ha

odoh
10-18-2002, 01:12
Don't understand the concern. There is an oil filter. The valve isn't removed for inspection anyhway. Trust the filter. ~ odoh

chuntag95
10-18-2002, 15:38
Biker Wayne,
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why is there no Fumoto style valve with a magnet. Shouldn't be that hard to make one, right? You would get the best of both worlds. Catch the metal and control the oil during a change. I would think you could have the valve be 2 stages. First stage has the valve and you drain the oil. Second, that spins, screws, pulls off and there is the magnet extended out on prongs that allows the oil to get to the valve. Hmmmmm, maybe I should turn in a patent application for that.
Odoh
Why a magnet? Control of contamination. If it is stuck to the magnet in the oil pan, it can't hurt nothing else. Plus, you know if you have metal being generated and can get it fixed before it blows up. Cheap insurance.

mackin
10-18-2002, 15:58
The biggest reason is you don't remove to drain....But open....
So I guess you would knock three times on the oil pan to let the magnet know RELEASE
the FUZZ!!!!!!! That valve is open !!!!!!!!

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

odoh
10-31-2002, 11:31
Just did my first oil change and changed the plug to the Fram valve. Darn, my OEM plug didn't have a magnet. Was it supposed to?
As for a magnetised drain valve. I suppose when the old oil refuses to drain, it would be telling us to go in and clean off the innards of the valve? Then it begs the question what is wrong to generate the ferrous particles? Why didn't the filter catch it? Whats its gonna cost to correct?
Point being, sometimes too much info may not be a good thing for us neurotics. ~ odoh

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 14:23
No, the OEM plug has no magnet ....... or points for that matter. After the 2 foot cheater bar got the thing loose with the 15mm loose socket, mine was closer to round. I got one of the magnetic drain plugs that uses a 7/8" wrench and it was a whole lot better. It was a tough call between security of the magnet and the cleanliness of the Fumoto. I'm telling you, if someone could come up with a unit that does both, they will make millions.
Has anyone seen the magnetic stands that have a lever to turn on a magnet and then turn it off? I have one for my lathe. If you could incorporate that type of device and make the lever turn the valve, then Mac wouldn't have to knock three times. :D

Mac,
I have had the song stuck in my head for days because of you. :mad: :rolleyes: tongue.gif

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

mackin
10-31-2002, 16:37
chuntag95 (Chris)

Sorry dude ,but,
It would be real easy to make a song parody.....

Knock three times on the oil pan if you want fuzz.....Twice on the valve if it aint gonna show.....It's pouring it's pouring.....Oh knock three times on the oil pan if you want fuzz twice on the valve if it aint gonna show....
It's pouring it's pouring..... tongue.gif

MAC :D
Call Tony I think we got a hit !!!!!!! Whats Dawn look like today??? Did she hit the wall full speed?????

MAC :eek:

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 16:39
Mac,

You're killing me! ROTFLMAO :D

IndigoDually
10-31-2002, 17:01
I just stick a couple of strong magnets to the outside of the filter to catch what it can. I stick them to all of my filters. (except air :D )

John

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 19:33
Put the magnet right under the drain plug and pull it off before you drain through the Fumoto to get it out. You don't get to see the "fuzz" but like odoh said, sometimes not knowing is a good thing. ;) Well now that IndigoDully has come up with a way to do both, I guess I have to order me one of them thar fumoto thangies. redface.gif tongue.gif And my skid plate will keep me from knocking off the magnet too. :D Did you just use extra Allison magnets?

mdrag
10-31-2002, 19:43
Check out FilterMag :

www.filtermag.com/contact.htm

HD365 = $$150$$ :eek: :eek:

It should sing for that price :D

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 20:01
I can by a lot of refridgerator magnets for $150 and several of the Allison ones too. :eek:
But aren't they pretty :rolleyes: I might be retentive about my maint., but I am not that crazy.