PDA

View Full Version : Air intake question for 2002's

LA DMAX
10-17-2002, 12:44
The air intake tube for the 2002's has a secondary little hose or baffle just before it attaches to the intake manifold and an accordion thing in the middle. Would anything get screwed up if you change that plastic tube to a nice aluminum tube and got rid of that baffle and the accordion thing? Thanks for your input.

LA DMAX

Colorado Kid
10-17-2002, 13:11
My understanding is that it is just a resonator to "improve" the intake sound. The '01's didn't have it and I can't imagine any adverse consequences of eliminating it, except for a change in how it sounds. I also don't forsee any benefit except for looks.

2DAMAX
10-17-2002, 14:01
LADMAX: Put a K-N air charge kit on W outerwear's and you will have awesome sound R:E turbo whine .I really like my setup. By the way silicon levels at 17k with K-N for last 5-6k have been 9. :D :D

REC06
10-17-2002, 16:27
I agree with 2damax. Mine didn't get any louder or more noticable diesel clatter just that turbo whine. Looks and sounds great. Of corse I have straight pipes so it would be hard to notice only slight change.

chuntag95
10-18-2002, 15:16
Getting rid of the accordian thing should improve your air flow. The folds just add turbulance to the air, which you get no benifit from with a turbo. On a gasser, it might help a little, but not enought show on a dyno. Turbulance in the air to improve mixing of the fuel and air on non direct injection systems should help. Does us NO good. Just my .02

LA DMAX
10-18-2002, 20:20
Thanks for your responses fellas. The reason I asked is because I was planning to get a spun aluminum canister type air box and would probably need to run a different tube to the intake, as the stock plastic deal may not work real well. Thanks again.

LA DMAX