PDA

View Full Version : Good intake?

GMCTRUCK
01-26-2003, 11:28
I was thinking of installing an intake and wanted to hear from those who have done it. Is it worth it? Are any of them shown to make more power. I also would want one that you can really hear coming. I have heard some trucks with a mean intake growl and loud turbo spool sound when coming at you. Thanks in advance.

mackin
01-26-2003, 12:21
Ya after seeing that BIG HONKING AFE set-up on Toddsters truck yesterday,I have myself convinced I just may need one.....GMC did you get a look at it???

With all the AMSOIL talk going on lately one has to think is the air cleaner also hype or the real deal.....

Cheavyhdman is getting some VERY good oil analysis with KN,but he is retaining stock box tho,but drilled.....

I could just switch,I'm not married to the exsisting air cleaner I have, so I'll be watching this thread also.....

So far I've heard three guys running the AFE and digging it.....

MAC

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NWDmax
01-26-2003, 12:39
Hey Mackin and friends anybody done a seat of the pants comparo between the ventilated stocker and the afe.
I agree that afe looks huge and nicely made.The stealer in my town is selling for $239.
We just need some more user info on this!
Blake :eek:

Toddster
01-26-2003, 12:59
Do it Dude, $239 is not a bad price.....Sorry Jes, shoulda shown you mine yesterday....AFE stage II gets a thumbs from me, if you want spool noise it's there, if you want to lower EGT's you got it by a 100 or better, if you want quality workmanship it too is there ! And the best part is, it has Macdaddy's seal of approval !

GMCTRUCK
01-26-2003, 13:05
Crap, Toddster I would have asked about it had I known before we hit the bar. I'll just have to check your truck out again :D Does it seem like it would make the intake more suceptable to rain and snow?

D/A
01-26-2003, 13:17
Where do you get the AFE stage 2 I was thinking about adding to my truck would love to see lower EGT. 100 degrees would be nice. Thank You

sdaver
01-26-2003, 14:14
afe stage two for me.........works and fits great.......faster spoolup.........and some whine.....got mine at baker diesel ogden utah.....dont have the number...........but you can search........... :D dave

CanadaKev
01-26-2003, 16:22
I really like the AFE!
Put it on prior to egt sensor, so don't know how it affected temps, but my exhaust temps run pretty low. Also,I have no comparison to 'swiss' stock box. Went straight from K&N to intake snorkle. Noticably faster spool-up and has a nice turbo whine ;) It looks kewl too smile.gif Can't believe Mac Daddy doesn't have one already tongue.gif

Kev

Lone Eagle
01-26-2003, 16:52
Would someone explain how putting more air in the intake lowers EGTs? Mackin, It is already clear to all of us that you don't like Amsoil so why don't you put a cork in it? Later! Lone Eagle tongue.gif

GM Smitty
01-26-2003, 16:57
Weren't there some MAF sensor issues with these intakes? I'm also interested in one, but I remember them being shot down in earlier posts.
Smitty

NWDmax
01-26-2003, 17:02
Lone Eagle.The faster you move air through the engine the quicker the heat is removed.At least thats my theory.
CanadaKev tongue.gif eer pressure will work on the Mac I'm thinkin.I don't know you guys but it's already cost me thousands.I'm not complaining though cause I'm having too much fun!!
Blake :D

mackin
01-26-2003, 19:08
Hey I'm just looking at my options....

Seeing one in person didn't help,either....

I didn't start the "Amsoil" "talks"....I used amsoil products and still have not one but TWO air filters....But I still wonder as I said HYPE or not....

My switch from Marine 15w 40 was strictly due to HIGH oil pressure at start up in cold weather.....

Where I buy my business lubricants just happens to be a MOBIL distributor with a 30,000 square foot facility that carries every product they sell....

Therefore I can run it easily as a business exspence....What would anyone do, peer pressure or not??? tongue.gif
So I swapped MY entire drive train also to Mobil.....

Sure glad I didn't swap my tranny out to Amsoil as I contemplated to do.....

I only thru the comment out in reference to the current threads of info that have come to light on Amsoil,I too was misinformed....

But it's a buyers market put your cash where you may....

Me cork it,ain't happening !!!!!!!

I certainly WILL try the AFE soon as the DUST settles a bit .....

I'm thinking that I will retain MY Amsoil filter (s) and run in the MOST dusty time of the year, being now, considering I'm no dirt track weekend racer in my big azz dually other wise,at any time in the near future either.....

Seems a vender here has pretty much the best price I've seen, consider it ordered.....For a spring time install,or sooner......
;) Maybe I'll PRACTICE SAFE BREATHING AND WRAP MY AFE !!!!!!

=&gt;http://www.usdieselparts.com/ @ $259......

MAC

Just turning up the HEAT ...... :D :D :D

FRMLPLR
01-27-2003, 21:44
AFE Stage II, faster spool up and more WHINE!

Has anyone else installed the 2001 plastic cover in place of the "02 unit. Slight modification with a dremel required. Looks good for $14!!

Kennedy
01-27-2003, 23:00
The casting that feeds the turbo compressor is MUCH smaller than the factory plastic tube/bellows...

01-28-2003, 00:03
GMC Truck..I talked to a tech from Gale Banks engineering about upgrading the factory air intake. He said that the factory system would flow all of the air needed for the Duramax. I really missed the turbo whine of my Cummins diesels. I installed the aFe stage II air intake on my 03 GMC. I am very happy with the sound and quality of the new system!! I have driven several hundred thousand miles on K&N filters with no problems. In my opinion the aFe is every bit as good or better than K&N. I never had sensor problems because of air filter oil. Just don't over oil the filter. I have also run these type of filters on off road vehicles with no problems. I don't know if the aFe really helped my horsepower or not..but I can now hear the horses snorting...Some folks say that the 4 inch exhaust doesn't help either..I don't care..I like it. I did notice a few drops of water on the filter after driving in a downpour...not enough to worry me though...if this makes my truck die..I'll go out and buy another one...The aFe uses the same mounting holes as the factory air box. If you want it..go buy it. You won't rest until you have it! Life is way too short!! Enjoy it!

6.6L&94ImpalaSS
01-28-2003, 04:25
Stage II on my truck for the last 20,000 miles and love it. Picked it up on ebay for $268 delivered.

Mike

mackin
01-28-2003, 05:28
Words I live buy =&gt;"If you want it..go buy it. You won't rest until you have it! Life is way too short!! Enjoy it!" ;)

MAC :D :D :D

Toddster
01-28-2003, 08:12
Damn ! If "Mr. Ford" says the stock intake is all we need than I'm gonna head right back to those *******$ who sold me the AFE and DEMAND my $249 clams back ! I think that Banks engineer should inform ATS that the AFE is not necessary on thier 12 second Duramax.... ;)