PDA

View Full Version : B1 Biodeisel in my D-max, do you use?

ThumbScott
10-17-2002, 15:06
My Cooperative now has B100 available for use. I am going to use B2 here real soon. My Petro VP wants me to test the B1 first and provide a mileage comparison then I am going to B2 after that. B2 is the minimum to run to get any benifits.

My question is any interested in my logged results as I go a long and if anyone else is running Bio now and what their results have been.

I know this topic has come up before but I have not seen anything in a long while about it.

This is what using BIO can do for our economy.

It is renewable!
By 2016 if Bio usage only increase 4% from this year could boost the US econmy by $300 BILLION, yes BILLION, and create 300,000 jobs.
The money stays home, and not going to terrorist groups and countries.

Give it a try!

stretch
10-17-2002, 17:08
If it ever makes it to NJ, I definetly would try/use it. I haven't heard anything bad about its use and I am all for creating jobs here and reducing our dependancy on foreign oil. It seems to be a win - win situation !!! :D

Biodiesel6.6
10-17-2002, 17:18
ThumbScott
B1, is 1% bio and 99% diesel. Is this the % your talking about? I notice no milage change when I run B90, B80, or any blend I mix. It runs quiter and smells like popcorn. I get 16.5 mpg around town and 19 to 20 mpg highway. The juice helped with the highway increase when I added at the 7K miles. Without the Juice I couldn't go above 16.8 mpg. I started using Biodiesel after I put 1500 miles on the truck. I have about 12K on it now. Biodiesel is a great fuel to use and easy to make. :D

Hillbilly Jim
10-17-2002, 17:22
I have been using Bio-diesel for 10 months,it is an 20 percent blend. dont always fill with it as it costs 10 cents over regular diesel, but fill up every third time with it,
I have no thought it increases milage-just it is good for the environment, renewable and hopefully will prevent maintaince down the road.
Need more users in all states and greater availability which would lower costs.
Dmaxed since Dec. 2000

mackin
10-17-2002, 18:12
JUICE and Smells like Popcorn !!!!!!!!! GHEESH !!!!!!

Sounds like a Day Care Center......Your just short of Nursery Rhymes all the time on a Satellite Radio channel !!!!!!!

MAC :D :eek: :D

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Mic
10-17-2002, 18:30
Sounds like a Day Care Center......Your just short of Nursery Rhymes all the time on a Satellite Radio channel !!!!!!!

Mackin......----^

ROTFLMFAO...don't forget about the whine (turbo not kids) that comes with the swiss cheese air box!

:D

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: Mic ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
10-18-2002, 01:03
I've run a couple of tanks of 20% Soy with no compaints. It smells um, "different", and the smoke isn't as black as 100% diesel- it's more gray. Mileage and power seem to be unaffected.

If it were easier to get, I'd run it every tank. The closest self serve pump is 20 miles from me, and I go that direction about once every two months. My local Co-Op sells it, but I'd need to have my own barrel in the backyard, and that ain't gonna happen....

TDIwyse
10-18-2002, 11:56
It's good to see other biodiesel users here!

The coop here also has B100 available. They charge $2.30/gal. I've been mixing it at about 10-20% for the Dmax and about 40-50% for the VW (this will go down to 20% with winter coming). At 10% levels I see no significant change in mpg, but at 20% and above I start to seeing a decrease in mpg. Ran the VW on 100% soy diesel for a couple tanks and went from ~46-48mpg to ~43 mpg.

I'ld be interested in see your ongoing mileage figures with the soy diesel.

ThumbScott
10-18-2002, 12:04
I will be running B1, which is 1% bio and 99% diesel #2. Then I am going to run 2% bio and 98% diesel.

I also get the bio in 100% but am going to mix my own. A 55 gallon drum and a hand pump should do just fine for me. Then when I fill I will add 2 or 3 gallons to the 30 gallon fillup for a B2/B3 mixture.

I am very happy to be using the product and so far so good. I am promoting the heck out of this stuff. It is a win win situation.

mtomac
10-18-2002, 15:10
I didn't think you could mix B100 w/regular diesel that easily. It was my understanding that the b100 must be at a certain temperature to mix completely with diesel.

Pizza Man
10-18-2002, 17:17
Where can we find out more info?
I have a buddy that makes it from fryer oil from restaurants. He runs all his farm diesel engines on it.

letsgo
10-18-2002, 17:20
Quote from "DETROIT DIESEL LUBRICATING OIL, FUEL, and FILTERS" booklet.

Biodiesel Fuels negatives.

poor thermal stability and may deteriorate engine oil.
affects combustion deposits,fuel injection system durability, and accelerated engine oil degradation.
reduction in oil change intervals may be required.
cetane reduction.
flash point is reduced.
if failure of components is caused by Biodiesel fuel NO warranty.

If one of the largest diesel manufacturers doesnt trust or recommend Biodiesel why would I or anyone else want to put this fuel in their DURAMAX?????

ThumbScott
10-18-2002, 19:23
Here is the offical web site for more information. http://www.biodiesel.org/

It is my understand that all OEM manufactures honor warrantee work on trucks running BIO.

This is a quote form the Biodiesel.org.
In December of 2001, ASTM approved the full standard for biodiesel, with the new designation of D-6751 (succeeds PS 121-99). This standard covers pure biodiesel (B100), for blending with petrodiesel in levels up to 20% by volume. Higher levels of biodiesel are allowed on a case-by-case basis after discussion with the individual engine company, since most of the experience in the US thus far has been with B20 blends.

Also taken from the site.

Engine companies do not manufacture fuel or fuel components. Therefore, engine companies do not warranty fuel - whether that fuel is biodiesel or petrodiesel fuel. Since engine manufacturers warranty the materials and workmanship of their engines, they do not warranty fuel of any kind. If there are engine problems caused by a fuel (again, whether that fuel is petrodiesel fuel or biodiesel fuel) these problems are not related to the materials or workmanship of the engine, but the responsibility of the fuel supplier and not the engine manufacturer. Any reputable fuel supplier (biodiesel, petrodiesel, or a blend of both) should stand behind its products and cover any fuel quality problems if they occur.

I want to back this up with read data once and for all.

Cat's web site and Bio statement!
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/CAT42001.PDF

Cummins statement!
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/CUMMINS.PDF

Detriot Diesel!
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/Detroit%20Diesel%20-%20internal%20fuel%20spec%20(incl.%20biodiesel).pd f

International!
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/International%20Letter.pdf

John Deere!
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/JDEERE.PDF

Take a look and see what you think.

Just remember, every penny spent on BIO is a penny some terrorist nation does not get. American dollars going to american workers. Worth the risk if there truly are any!

Eric Alan
10-19-2002, 07:43
I have had my '02 dmax just a couple of months and am learning all I can from you guys (great information here with a lively discussion group). Bio-diesel is sopmething new to me, is there anyway of finding out where I get it locally? (web site?)

Thx!

Eric.

csimo
10-19-2002, 09:23
Thumbscott, I admire your desire to promote biodiesel, but please don't mislead anyone. Your posting infers that all the manufaturers have "approved" bodiesel, but that's simply not the case. Most have issued very cautious statements to please the environmentalists that really say "you're on your own".

Let's use Caterpillar as an example. Caterpillar clearly says "Caterpillare neither approves nor prohibits the use of biodiesel."

And "Failures from the use of any fuel are not Caterpillar factory defects and therefore the cost of repair would NOT be covered by Caterpillar's warranty."

For many of their engines they offer the following warning "Use of more than a 5% biodiesel fuel can cause premature failures whose repair would not be covered under the Caterpillar warranty."

Biodiesel has 5 - 7% less energy than traditional diesel fuel, and even though biodiesel has fewer emmisions per equal amount of fuel you still have to burn 5 - 7% more of it to equal the work of traditional diesel fuel.

As stated earlier there are significant concerns about engine oil contamination and fuel system seal degredation. These are real problems that should not be ignored.

I like the idea of biodiesel as a renewable energy source, but the engines of today are not ready for B100 or anything close to it. Perhaps an engine designed for such fuel would be more efficient, but as it stands the fuel costs more, and you have to burn more of it to get the same amount of work when compared to traditional diesel fuel.

Pizza Man
10-19-2002, 09:41
csmio...
www.veggievan.com

To buy the bio fuel costs more. But to make costs less.

Remember the inventor of the diesel engine made it to run on vegetable oil.
I am learning about bio fuel as well.

From what I have learned as long as the fuel you burn in your $40k diesel truck meets manufacturer specifications, warranty is not an issue. And from what I understand there is bio fuel that you can buy that meets these specs.

I am

ThumbScott
10-19-2002, 19:43
To find a local distributor try the following link.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/

I don't plan on running B100. I plan on running B5 this winter and then B20 next spring and summer.

Just a reminder that no engine mfg will cover any damege from any fuel source. Bio or not. The responsibility will fall back on the supplier's insurance.

Please feel free to visit the www.biodiesel.org for more information on usage. Since its beginning Bio has improved. At B100 I would be concerned with hose early wear and other such problems being suggested. I am not concerned at the B20 and below. There is no right or wrong answer here to this debat. I am comfortable using it in the B5 B20 configurations. It do find it hard to ignore all the millions of miles driven on Bio and all the testimonials on successful usage with no power loss and no additional fuel required to run equipment. I guess my log on mileage will tell the story. I will post next week the results from my first 2 fillup with B1/B2.

Best regards,

Please if any one knows or has had anything actually go wrong on Bio please advise and provide actual links/proof.

I will drum up more support next week.

ThumbScott
10-19-2002, 19:50
The St. Johns Public School District in St. Johns Michigan is working hard to provide a healthier, cleaner environment for students who ride their buses. In April 2002, the school system obtained five buses that run strictly on biodiesel. They have experienced an increase of 1.4 miles per gallon, without any problems and have reduced smoke and emissions at the same time.

"Our goal is to have the whole fleet on bio by next school year, " said Wayne Hettler, head mechanic for St. Johns Public Schools. "We put about 540,000 miles on our buses per year, and at 20 percent biodiesel, we will save about 4,500 gallons of diesel fuel."