PDA

View Full Version : Strong exhaust smell in cab

XAM-D
01-27-2003, 02:08
Have banks exhaust. no leaks from downpipe back. any suggestions. remember reading about cracked clamp/pipe, can't remember.

Kent Tuttle
01-27-2003, 09:15
I'm not getting any smell in the cab but I have noticed that since I installed the KD system that the exhaust smell outside the truck is stronger. Maybe the system is letting the truck breath now :D

4meseb
01-27-2003, 17:11
I only get exhaust smell in the truck when I stop at Stop signs, Red lights and so on. I learned to reach down and press the recirc. button the minute I begin to smell it coming in. Just a thought!
Scott

YZF1R
01-27-2003, 18:24
Under the right conditions when stopped at a light etc., I can smell some too. (Exhaust that is, before any of you guys reply.) I think a couple others, myself too, figured it may be coming from the crank case vent and drawn in the cabin air intake at the cowl.

Steve

LA DMAX
01-27-2003, 20:08
I'll agree with Scott and Steve. I get the smell at stop lights, but if I push the recirc button, no smell. I took it to the dealer one time for this. Got "can't duplicate problem" on the invoice. Oh well.

LA DMAX

BigLakeDMAX
01-27-2003, 20:15
I get the exhuast smell, also. Believe it's either from the crank case breather or the wind whipping some exhuast up around the truck and into the defroster vents. Only when driving very slowly or stoppped for a light. Sounds like a common condition. I haven't suffered any ill effects yet, such as... I'm sorry, I forgot what I was writing about.

:D

Seattle Steve
01-27-2003, 23:17
Ditto LA DMAX's reply for me. It's a brand new truck, I sure was hoping they'd find a loose clamp or something...

rtquig
01-28-2003, 09:15
I notice they same thing when I am at idle on windy days.

XAM-D
02-13-2003, 03:41
Thanks for replies. does happen when stopped. try recirc. button. rtquig - I'm originally from Jackson, NJ. Done alot of four wheelin in your neck of the woods growing up.

rtquig
02-13-2003, 09:40
XAM-D, They are getting real tough about offroading any more. $1,000 fine if they catch you on township property, and you need a letter from land owner elsewise. I'm stuck to driving on Federal Properity, but if you go off the trails, they still want to spank you. I don't take my D/Max in the woods, I have a 1953 Dodge M-37 that will go anywhere. Mostly a parade truck, but I take the kids out as much as I can.
You probably wouldn't recoginize Jackson anymore, loaded with housing developments. The High School has some good sports teams and have made the States over the last couple years.

Rich

OKDiesel
02-13-2003, 16:28
Not sure how long your Banks has been on, but I smelled exhaust about the first 2 weeks after my Banks was installed. The smell just went away, I dont get it at stop lights anymore. Not sure if everything got settled in or if I am just used to breathing diesel fumes instead of O2 heh. I did check the best I could all the connections and did not find any leaks.

B