PDA

View Full Version : 02 D/A at 101,023mi

BROKERS
07-11-2002, 17:52
Running real good.
Has a front windshield leak that developed last week.Tailgate handle trim fell off sometime during the last week.Ordered a new one.(this is the 4th trim i've bought between the two trucks)

To answer the raffle!
01 D/A milage 409,916mi/6308 hrs
It does not show average speed,can't figure out how to get that up on the display.

Mdrag thanks for the help, i'll get back on to my old registration.

On to another subject,has any one had a front rotor split on a 02?

Later,Tom.

stretch
07-11-2002, 18:21
Broker,
The numbers you gave work out to 64.983512 mph. Do you supply your drivers with a Valentine One radar detector????? ;) That is some SERIOUS motoring. I don't think the display gives out average mph. Thanks for the update and I hope your 02 and future 03 do as well or better than your 01. :D

afp
07-11-2002, 19:24
Brokers,

Thanks for joining this site. Posting your experiences with the DMax will be a huge help to the rest of us.

How often do you clean the K&N on the 01?

Blaine

csimo
07-11-2002, 20:05
I would never call anyone a liar, but those figures are real hard to swallow. Average 65MPH over 400K+ miles? I'm not sure that's even possible. I'm pretty sure it's NOT possible.

On a good days run (10 hours driving) on 70MPH Interstates (I try to run 75 - 79MPH on those roads) it's hard to AVERAGE over 50 - 52MPH. When you stop for fuel, take a bathroom break, eat lunch, etc. those take the average way down real fast. That's just one day and not taking maintenance, or any city streets into the mix.

I wonder if he's had some kind of malfunction in the odometer? I don't want this to sound like I don't think he's telling the truth, but logic tells me that he's presented a nearly impossible situation.

FirstDiesel
07-11-2002, 20:16
2 man crews. Long hauls with very short stops. Time is money!! smile.gif

mackin
07-11-2002, 21:31
The point is safety....... Not that I am but, COMMERCIAL drivers which in my eyes they are, should obey the laws...... If that is truly accurate figures they are not ...... My very good friend owns a trucking firm over the road, so I'm familiar with the ethics ..... I know they are driving a 3500 and trailer a car carrier and cram 2 3 guys in a vehicle, still fatigue and common sense has to play a part.......Show me a pic of the speedo and I'll buy it.........Plus I'm a sore looser and I lost the raffle on the hour clock.....

MAC :D

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

tmg115
07-11-2002, 21:36
well the way i see it is, most of the time the speed limit is 70 so averaging 63 is it? is not hard. and a 2 man crew and almost going non stop it is very posibal.

pepperidge
07-11-2002, 22:10
O.K.,
-----------------------------------------------
CSIMO:When you stop for fuel, take a bathroom break,eat lunch, etc. those take the average way down real fast. That's just one day and not taking
maintenance, or any city streets into the mix.
================================================
Here's my take on the hour meter/mph average.
------------------------------------------------
I would imagine that the key gets "turned off"
(hour meter doesn't run) during fuel stops,bathroom break, eating lunch and for maintenance , it could be true. The only argument you got there is "city streets".

I'm not saying it can't be done. But I'm not saying it has been done either.

My .02

smile.gif

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: pepperidge ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 22:19
I believe it. What does it prove?

That his Dmax averaged 65mph LOADED WITH 3 CARS most of the time.

That with proper maintenance, it's a VERY good drivetrain.

The rear seat of a crewcab may not be the Taj Mahal, but a guy could sleep back there. ;)

And that his crews don't spend their time dawdling around somewhere...

I think he ought to install a Juice module on at least one of his Dmaxes. Average speed would go up slightly and I bet it would pay for itself several times over in fuel savings, even if only 1 or 1.2mpg better. :D

I'm very grateful for the info, keep it coming!

Regards, Steve

mackin
07-12-2002, 04:26
SoCalDMAX,

Didn't you say you are an X "SQUID" ....... Then your use to sleeping in a torpedo shoot........LOL
Tally hoe no pillow tonite,cotton balls in a zip lock bag,tho........

I'm greatful too,could make for the debate of the century......
I need a dam PIC....... It would be so simple ...... Isn't he from the North East? AHHHH I spy.....

MAC tongue.gif

hoot
07-12-2002, 06:05
If BROKER was BS-in, why wouldn't he give us numbers that are not questionable? He could just as easily have posted numbers that we would not question, right?

He runs a business like we run our trucks.....

walkerkd
07-12-2002, 07:13
i think it is very possible.. two man crew is able to run atleast 6k a week. thats not hard at all. so the number could work out very easy. so i think any one in question has no idea about trucking biz... i hot shot on the side.. and let me tell you it doesnt take long to clock the miles.. heck ive had my truck for a very short time less tha n 3 months. i have 12500 miles to date... now am i bs-in???? :D

mackin
07-12-2002, 14:57
walkerkd ,

No disrespect here........

Well, I know about the trucking business for sure...... I have to rely on them in my business realistically and like I said in my post my very good friends owns a trucking firm and employees 8 drivers in brand new SHINEY trucks with a huge over head and pushes his men hard with in the LAW ........ Your numbers of a TWO man team of 854 miles a day is more REALISTIC then the numbers BROOKER is posting ........

Hoot,

No disrespect but all one needs is a calendar and a calculator and a pencil...... I could post the same ...... Have you ever meet the man? Has any one? All I 'm saying is it could be......... It could be ,not . I'm on the fence...... I would love for it to be true... But I won't be fooled, it is questionable,to say the least ...... Post a PIC of the odometer, why not? Hard Prof my man hard Prof.......Can he Give someone here his vin number ........ Did the dealer provide service and record mileage on a certain date to back it up? It's the same when someone claims bogus head melt down claims as when someone boasts a terrific claim of reliability........ I own a MAX and I want to know if it's for real...... I won't go bragging with out the HARD PROF.....

MAC

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

BROKERS
07-12-2002, 15:54
STRECH:I can't incrimenate my self,but Valentine is an excellent choice.
afp: We replace the K&N between 35-4500mi.Depending on the time of year.We keep 4-5 filters in the bed box at all times.Dump dirty ones at the shop and pick up clean ones.I believe between all the trucks there is 40-45 filters circulating.
CSIMO:I'm not here to B.S. Frankly i don't have the time!Just follow along for awhile and read the posts every week and judge for your self.The trucks run more than 10 hrs a day when they are out.
First Diesel:Time is money,and all we have is time!
Mackin:Yes safety is a highest priority!Yes we are CDL/Health card/DOT reg/Apportioned plates.
Since we are not for hire and own most cargo,weight stations wave us on in most states.Some states dont want us in at all.Mac the speedo thing ,i'm a broker and swap heads on a constant basis.I can have one set to what ever you would like to see.Sorry about the raffle.
tmg115: I got something for ya at the drags!Look in my sig.My Blackwood is gone.
Pepperidge:I have 100gl in bed tank,no control over the ignition key or their bladders.Deliver mostly to Adesa Auctions,mostly off major routes in industrial areas.However N.J. is a parkinglot most of the time.
SoCalDMAX:The 01D/A has burned just over 50,000gl of #2.
HOOT: #1 i'm a BROKER/IMPORTER. #2 Hotshot .
Lively bunch over here.

Sorry gents, got a little long winded.

Later,TOM!

tmg115
07-12-2002, 15:59
hey glad to see you got ride of it. after that boatr thing i would to. lol i still think you need a duramax every day drivier.lol :D

and what about the drags now?

BROKERS
07-12-2002, 16:32
tmg115:Look in my sig.
Z06! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

csimo
07-12-2002, 16:37
Broker: You said "CSIMO:I'm not here to B.S. Frankly i don't have the time!Just follow along for awhile and read the posts every week and judge for your self.The trucks run more than 10 hrs a day when they are out."

I never once accused you of BSing, or being untruthful. I just believe you have a malfunctioning odometer or hour meter.

The number of hours per day the truck was driven does not matter. The question is can this truck, or any truck maintain an AVERAGE speed of 65MPH over 400,000 miles. I can't call it impossible, but it would nearly be impossible.

If you never stopped for fuel, or maintenance, meals or anything else (no you can't stop to load the truck either), and you drove between 55MPH and 75MPH all the time (remember you can't stop for 400,000 miles) you would average 65MPH.

Yes I know the engine is not running all the time, but it is when you use the exit ramp, slow down to get fuel, traffic jams, or anything else the engine is running and just a few minutes of that activity in a day ruins your average speed real fast.

The national Amtrak system only averages 32MPH, and most long haul trucking companies are very happy if a unit can average 50MPH. The long haul trucking industry is at about 44MPH average overall.

Again Broker I'm not saying you are BSing, or anything of the kind. I do believe that somewhere in that 400,000 miles there is an error in the hour meter or odometer.

BROKERS
07-12-2002, 16:58
CSIMO: We run gps and sat/locator(15min intervals) on all the tucks we own.On the Canadian runs ,which is 45%,we have 95% no traffic.The difference in speed and time would show up.This is not the first truck we have run like this.I have been at it for some time. The 02 D/A was at 101,023mi/1699hrs.I don't know how equal that is to the 01 D/A.
CSIMO: I posted the log of the 01 D/A in another forum awhile back.It showed day to day by the hour for a month.If HOOT could help out i'm sure he could put a link over to it.May be that would show you how it gets done.

Later,Tom

BROKERS
07-12-2002, 17:08
Hoot! Can you post a link to the Milage log that i posted awhile back.I can't seem to find it.It was either on PUTC or Gm-Diesel.The argument with Bart died after that post.Or maybe the calculator ran out of batteries? LOL.

Thanks in advance .

Tom.

hoot
07-12-2002, 20:42
Brokers testament.......

Ill runn trough the milage master for tha Dmax for you.
Don't forget there is 6guys on and 4guys off at all times.

02-24-02 boston-montreal/ depart 6:00pm / 330mi
02-25-02 montreal / arrive 1:30am
02-25-02 montreal-shreveport la / depart 5:00am/1860mi
02-26-02 shreveport la / arrive 11:30am
02-26-02 shreveport - orlando fl/depart 2:30pm / 930mi
02-27-02 orlando / arrive 6:30am
02-27-02 orlando - grey me / depart 9:00am / 1440mi
02-28-02 grey me / arrive 11:30am
02-28-02 grey me - framingham ma / depart 12:30/ 155mi
02-28-02 framingham ma / arrive 4:00pm (2 new drivers)
02-28-02 framingham ma-halifax ns/depart 5:00pm/720mi
03-01-02 halifax ns / arrive 7:00pm
03-01-02 halifax ns - kitchener on / depart 8:30pm/1190mi
03-02-02 kitchener on / arrive 9:30pm
03-03-02 kitchener on - wellington fl/ depart 2;30am/1510mi
03-04-02 wellington fl / arrive 9:30am
03-04-02 wellington fl- boston ma / depart 11:00am/1540mi
03-05-02 boston ma / arrive 3:00pm

This is how we run often.We are less busy sometimes but not lately.Hope fully this will shed some lite on our 270,000mi.
And for your info the guy's drive between 65-75mph.The drivers switch back and forth .The back seat is not always a good place to sleep but they make due.2-4 days is the most they drive in a week .then they are off for 2-4days depending on what is going on.I have put 3 guys on a run, alot on the canadian runs due to bad weather.June - Aug i'm usually slow but the rest of the year i got enough to keep everybody busy.

tmg115
07-12-2002, 20:52
hey congrades on the Zo6 :D i still thin kyou should have a duramax :D lol J/K

turbo6600
07-12-2002, 21:18
First of all WELCOME BROKERS! I have been following as well and I believe that you don't have time to fill our heads full of Sh** .Is there anyway you could post a digital picture of the odometer reading ? I have seen you post before on another site that you didn't want to post pictures of your rigs because they might end up in the wrong hands but an interor picture can't hurt can it ? And I envy you on the Z06 what color do you have? see ya Turbo6600

Searay90
07-15-2002, 16:18
What oil change intervals did you use on the 01?
Also, what brand of oil, and oil filter did you use.

Thanks,

pepperidge
07-15-2002, 20:01
O.K. O.K.,

Maybe I am doing the math wrong here but...
-------------------------------------------------
03-01-02 halifax ns - kitchener on / depart 8:30pm/1190mi
03-02-02 kitchener on / arrive 9:30pm

1190 mi. Divided by 13 hours = 91.5 mph?
03-04-02 wellington fl- boston ma / depart 11:00am/1540mi
03-05-02 boston ma / arrive 3:00pm

1540mi. divided by 16 hours = 96.25 mph?

Am I doing this wrong?
If not ... and you even give an extra hour to the clock on each one your still looking at
85mph 1st run
90.5mph 2nd run

Man that is a fast average.

Some body please correct me if I'm wrong!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

heartbeatcanada
07-15-2002, 20:23
check ur math again. Halifax to Kitchener is 25 hours and Wellington to boston is 28 hours. Average speed for halifax is 47.6 mph and wellington is 55mph. Halifax to kitchener is a pretty good time as i live near kitchener and have done that run, empty though.

Maxter
07-15-2002, 22:16
Just a quick analysis for Broker about the financial savings of owning a JUICE Box.

01 D/A has 409,916 mi / 50,000 gals of #2 gives us about 8.18 mpg

Assuming a 1 mpg gain using the JUICE wich again is theoratical it would have taken 44,653 gal to cover the same distance wich is a saving of 5,347 gals.

Even at 1$ per gal it is still a saving of 5,000$ wich kind of cover the cost of the box and then some and may also add to the efficency/pleasure of the crews.

The only unknown is if a JUICED Dmax would last 400,000 + miles like his un-JUICED ones.

Just some numbers to thinks about...

My numbers are much much more lower than that and the only real factor is PLEASURE... Didn't do it yet but it may come soon.

andy911
07-16-2002, 07:35
Pepperidge:
Halifax NS to Kitchener Ont. 8:30pm depart in NS is 7:30 pm in Ontario, so trip took 26 hours and 1190 miles for an average speed of 45.8 mph. Still impressive. :cool:

Hey Broker; What Deodorant do your guys use.....whatever it is it must be effective.
:D :D

Andy.

WayCoolKennel
07-16-2002, 08:25
Uh... other item missing.. is time zones ? Does the log record in the same time zone ? If not you may be off by a couple hours.

Somehow.. I don't believe he's BS'ing ;)

FWIW,

-Steve

hoot
07-16-2002, 08:54
BROKER......

Clear this up for us. Are the times based on one time zone?

What kind of deodora.....

01_Duramax_Dually
07-16-2002, 09:25
Man, why all the dis-belief?
I am quite impressed with the totals. I doubt seriously if any of us will own our trucks to the tune of 400K miles but the thought that they can perform as well as what has been posted by Brokers is incredible. There are a couple of car hauler out here that are over 150K in their Duramax's. I would like to see 1/2 that 400K total before I sell.

Keep it up Brokers....

Mackin:... :D :D ...Go easy.....people have feelings ya know...LOL

hoot
07-16-2002, 10:58
For the record, I've been following BROKERS posts for quite some time. I belielve it.

xpladox
07-16-2002, 11:16
OK guys,
Here is a simple little math equation.
Lets say the truck goes on a ten hour trip. Averaging 70 MPH for 9 hours and 10 MPH for 1 hour. That is a total of 630 Miles at 70MPH and 10 miles at 10MPH. This is a total of 640 Miles. Hopefully I have not lost anyone yet. So now we divide the 640 total Miles by the 10 Total hours. That gives us 64 MPH. Was that too hard for any of you.

NutNbutGMC
07-16-2002, 11:50
^..My preferences of your math would be a picture of the miles AND hours of this overdriven machine.

Colorado Kid
07-16-2002, 12:08
Well one reason he could use for not posting an odometer photo is that the thing is never in the yard to take a picture of!

I don't find the miles vs engine hour hard to believe. I've achieved 63 MPH average for a tank pulling the 5th wheel, without ever exceeding 68 MPH. They just drive like that all the time. If I never had to commute my average would look like that too.

I kinda wish Broker would keep running the '01, to see where it finally gives up, but that wouldn't be good business so he won't. I'm planning to run mine to at least 300,000, but it'll take me nearly 20 years to do it.

csimo
07-16-2002, 13:51
His log posting confirmed my suspicion of a malfunction for the most part. His log postings only average out to 52MPH assuming I did all my math correctly and accounted for timezones.

I'm sure Broker is a great guy, and a go getter, and his logs show him in the high end of reasonable for his situation (52MPH).

The 65MPH average has to be wrong... I don't know if it's a malfunction, or what. I was looking at some of the coast to coast races (over real open roads and subject to getting tickets) and they average in the low 70's for multiple drivers in race cars.

Brad Pelot
07-16-2002, 16:07
We must remember that when the key is off the hour meter is not running. If his drivers are turning the ignition off (like they should) during stops, the hour meter will not match logged hours of the trip.
Remember also that over the road trucks that average 50 to 55 miles an hour are sometimes idling all night for sleeper comfort. Also many over the road truckers idle their trucks unnecessarily for long periods of time. So the hour meter is running, while the truck is getting no miles at all.
When running sleeper teams such as Brokers, there is not the extendedd idling for sleeping comfort. If the drivers are doing thier job correctly there should be very little idling.

NutNbutGMC
07-16-2002, 16:59
^...Broker... Is this you, Trussman??? D@mn it boy. You had us all going there for a few seconds... :D :D

BROKERS
07-16-2002, 19:56
Turbo6600:Z06-Torch Red.Again picture of odo means nothing.Model Electronics can set any GM to what ever.

SEARAY90: 01-oil-Rotella/Delvac,filter AC,Interval is between 4500 - 6500mi,depends on run and conditions.

Pepperidge: ?

Heartbeatcanada:Truck is off during loading and off-loading.1-1.5hrs max.

Maxter:Juicebox,my kids drink'em.Truck don't need it.Drive train behind the Allison can't take it.(My opinion)

andy911: ? , NewBrunswick Pine cone in each arm pit,what else would a Maritimer use?LOL.

Waycoolkennel: Computer keeps track of the trucks using easter time zone.Computer does not care where the trucks are ,it uses it's internal clock to track and post.

Hoot: Tank's for the log post.

Nutnbutgmc: ?.Again to prove what?

Colorado kid: The 01 D/A will run about 6-8weeks more.Then it's off to the auction.

Csimo: Truck rarely idles.Loading and off-loading are included in those times.1-1.5 hrs average.

Brad Pelot: Good Point.

Nutnbutgmc: Trussman ? Who is that?Your out there buddy!

Later,Tom

mackin
07-16-2002, 20:18
Brokers,

Is that high mileage GEM going to auction here in the EAST? GM should buy it back and put it on a PEDESTAL .......

MAC

[ 07-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pepperidge
07-16-2002, 20:52
redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif

Fuzzy Math! I don't know what I was thinking

Maybe I've been working too hard. I should just work 2 days instead of 3. Apologies to all.

Broker, ???????? I'm just as dumbfounded as you are about that math I did.
redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif

Breck
07-17-2002, 20:01
It is amazing how the miles can add up when the trucks are run continuously like what Broker does. The TDR had a nice article about one hot shot company that had over 1.15 million miles on their Cummins powered Ram.

As Broker can probably attest to: It

Big O
08-03-2002, 22:33
Dadgum. Some folks just don't use their head at all, except for hat racks!! If Brokers truck are running cross country(interstate), at 75mph--an average of 65mph FOR THE HOUR METER would NOT be a problem at all. Most people kill the engine while eating, sleeping, fueling, or going to bathroom, which means the HOUR METER IS NOT RUNNING!! When I drove of Memphis(300+ miles) on I-55 at 75mph, I AVERAGED 72 MPH. Obivously 65mph average for the HOUR METER, ON THE INTERSTATE would not be a problem.

fred
08-04-2002, 11:16
i wish we all could work a truck like that, has anybody contacted gm to see if they would like to get that truck back to look at.i for one hope broker has enough time to keep us informed about all his d/a trucks for some time to come
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Pizza Man
04-06-2003, 19:38
Fun reading.....

Dinkie Diesel
04-06-2003, 20:11
Is there any chance that the hour meter is proportional to some other function like engine RPM? When I fly a Cessna I have to record the Hobbs meter but the hour meter on the tach is always less.

charliepeterson
04-06-2003, 21:35
Brokers; Did you ever get to the bottom of the computer program one of your guys wrote down from the back of the Lap Top? The Scanner at the border. I tried looking in a few catalogs at work but no luck.

Oongawah
04-06-2003, 22:11
Dinkie Diesel,

The DMax hour meter is much like the Hobbs. I don't know how they start the meter on the DMax, but the Hobbs is typically started by an oil pressure switch, air speed switch, or master DC switch. The Tach Time Indicator is calibrated to your cruising RPM, so while your RPM's are low it is proportionally slower on the time as well. I'm not an aircraft mechanic, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night(hehe).

Brokers, your fuel mileage should get better as it breaks in(hope that got a chuckle). Your numbers look right to me. However, I figured the MPG should be a bit better. Are all your D/A's at the same MPG? Looks like a fun business to be in. Take care, Chuck. :D

Marty Lau
04-07-2003, 10:17
Me Thinks that Brad Pelot has the key to the hour and average situation. Most hour meters on equipment only run when engine runs. If not the case many airplanes would be getting major over hauls every year or two no matter how aften they flew, it's Operational time that counts.