PDA

View Full Version : pre turbo guage???

tmg115
07-11-2002, 18:11
wont it void the warenty on the turbo since you drill into the housing?

NickLeinonen
07-11-2002, 18:40
i am assuming you are meaning pre turbo egt. no, this will not void the turbo warrenty. you don't drill the turbo, you drill the manifold.

***edit***

hmm, i just read your sig. you already have an egt gauge. what exactly do you mean by your post?

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

tmg115
07-11-2002, 20:16
i havn't put it on yet. so i didn't drill the turbo :D

but since you drill the manafold you would think that would Void the warrenty. you know how dealers are.

mackin
07-11-2002, 20:29
tmg115,

If your manifold was or cracked ,highly unlikely,they would.... Or if they found a metal chip from the manifold some where ,highly unlikely, then they would ...... So drill like a mad man all ready.......Just follow the instructions posted here and you all will be fine.......

MAC ;)

mdrag
07-11-2002, 20:47
tmg115,

"but since you drill the manafold you would think that would Void the warrenty. you know how dealers are."

Maybe if you cracked the exhaust manifold as a result of your drilling and tapping....or if the temp probe broke off - it could trash your turbo impeller blades...I would imagine if something like this happend - you're on your own.

I installed my EGT probe pre-turbo on the PS, immediately rearward of the exhaust manifold flange, where the exhaust makes a 90 degree bend. The metal is thin, but surprisingly I managed to tap it - and it seemed like a good tight install. I added a stainless band clamp just to be safe. You could use a clamp on probe at this location instead, and avoid drilling the manifold.

Hoot has the same SPA DG-111 gauge/probe set up - but he mounted the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold. I've compared my numbers to his posts - and they appear to be the same.

Today, before starting the truck, the EGT showed a steady 88 degrees (it had been parked for two days in the garage). I checked the air temp in the garage with two different thermometers - one read 89 degrees and the other 92 degrees - they're all close enough for me. :D