PDA

View Full Version : well i am thinking about doing it.

tmg115
07-11-2002, 20:27
i am thinking about building a race duramax.

i am planing on getting a base 2500HD and i will strip it down and redo almost every thing.

this is not defenit but i am considering it. it would be a race truck only were i would tow it to the track and it will only be drivin at the track.

but i will need the cash first but i am really considering it now with all the sh!t that has been going on in my life i can use a little Duramax thearapy :D

or maybe i will win the lottery and it will be done i n a few weeks. who knows? :D

i might be blowing smoke out my a$$ but it sure does sound like a great idea and i am really considering it. but like i say who knows.

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: tmg115 ]</p>

tmg115
07-11-2002, 20:46
any ideas what i can do?

i know these so far:
juice
propane
injectors
5in exhaust
ram air
high flow air filter
maybe add the maximizer???
allison beef ups
a higher or lower rear end (which ever one is better)

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 21:01
^....Install a 5th-wheel slider hitch. Mount a turbine jet engine on the 5er-hitch to where the engine intake sticks up just above the top of the cab. Splice the engine controls into the Juice control mechanism and haul it to the drag strip. Do not try to drive it there. HAUL IT. Don't worry about any gauges, pre-turbo, post-turbo, EGT or anything else. You'll get one good run out of this machine (your first and last). Get your estate in order before you go down the track. :D This will be all of the therapy that you'll ever need. :D :D But like you say, "Who knows?"

Mack Daddy,... DO NOT try this at home. This is for professional turbine jet-engine drivers and bored people, only. You don't need no stinkin' therapy. tongue.gif tongue.gif :cool: :cool: :D

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

tmg115
07-11-2002, 21:04
well with all of that i might need a parashoot.

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 21:09
^...Don't wory about a parachute either. You won't have the time nor the need to pull the cord at the end of the 1/4 mile... LMAO... Give it up even before you install the hitch... :D :D And don't bother with the 4WD feature either. :D

tmg115
07-11-2002, 21:10
i am thinking 2wd and putting slicks on the back.

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 21:13
NutNbutGMC,

Don't EVEN give Mackin any ideas! He's already overworked his brakes, this isn't gonna help! ;)

I can see it now... Sniff, sniff...whats that burning smell? I just changed out that stinkin' filter - not again!

No...wait...that's the brakes smokin'! :eek:

Regards, Steve

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 21:16
^...ROTF...LMAO... You guys are too much. MAckin will pace a path in the floor tonight if he reads this. (Mackin thinkin' ===&gt; "How can I do it?? How can I do it?? Will my brakes hold up? Will my brakes hold up?? ) &lt;=== Mackin, don't tell your wife... :D :D

tmg115
07-11-2002, 21:19
sorry MAckin for the idea. i hope i don't het you too excited.

Lawnboy
07-11-2002, 21:28
tmg115,

Here are my thoughts....

Regular cab 2wd, Nice size slicks.

Dump the Allison.....Put in a 4L80 or Th400

4.10 or 4.56's out back.

5" Exhaust??.....What exhaust??? None needed! Hood exit stack!!!

Remove stock fuel tank, and replace with rear bed mounted fuel cell.

Relocate batteries to behind right rear wheel well.

Lighten anything you can.

12's SHOULD be possible.

rvforfun
07-11-2002, 21:30
minnie van is still quicker roflmao ;)

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 21:46
"minnie van is still quicker roflmao"

OUCH!! That's gonna leave a mark.... ;)

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 22:05
^... A mini-van is much faster. D@mn it. I now block them from passsing me. Saw that somewhere recently.. Winston Cup maybe??? :S

Silver Bullet
07-11-2002, 22:30
Don't forget the wheelie bar...drop the front end...traction bars...chop the rear fender wells to fit BIGGER slicks on...shorten that serpentine belt...you don't need A/C or P/S!!! As far as the ram air...you don't really need the head lights, so pull the PS head lamp and run the "gutter" straight in...maybe 2 of 'em!!! Almost forgot...an oversized ricer wing on the back!!! And don't forget to write "TYPE-R" on stack through the hood!!!

And don't forget to put stickers all over it b/c that is good for at least a tenth of a second!!!

You can probably plan on making $2-$4K by selling all the extras you are going to take off!!!

:D tongue.gif :D

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 22:51
Actually, seriously, start off with one of the motors auctioned off on Ebay and put it into a retired race car or build a custom tube framed truck, 4 link, ladder bars, the works.

Diesels are so much easier to make power than gassers, I had no idea a year ago!

Steve

NutNbutGMC
07-11-2002, 23:06
^.....LMAO....Stickers always make ANYTHING go faster. D@mn those mini-vans.... :D :D

Plasticfantastic
07-12-2002, 03:31
I've never seen the movie but in the "fast and frivolous", all you need is some NAAWWWSS to make it break sonic barriers. I don't know if that's anything like nitrous oxide (NOS) which ALSO can be used on diesels. :D

stretch
07-12-2002, 04:00
I like SoCalDMAX's idea of a used motor and a REAL race frame and suspension. Then like Lawnboy said, use a TH400 or if $$ are availible - Lenco. It wouldn't take much to get a lightweight package like that into the 10's. Now that's trucking and possibly less $$ than a new stripped truck. :D

walkerkd
07-12-2002, 07:50
how about stinking a dmax/alli in a 56 5 window! with fiberglass everything. and lexan windows. tube it and put a full spool in it on propane injection, chip and less not for get nos cooled intercooler.

Heavy Duty Neil
07-12-2002, 08:08
You can get a fiberglass Silverado body here:

http://www.gtsfiberglass.com/pro_truck.htm

:D

afp
07-12-2002, 08:12
TMG

(What I e-mailed you last night when the board was down, just so it's on the thread.)

LOTs of gear--a properly set up 1/4 mile rig should run out of motor BEFORE the end of the 1/4 mile. Run a spool and 35 spline axles. You'll
need some type of traction device--ladder bars? Also, a roll cage, a fuel cell in the bed (along with the batteries). Get a 2WD regular cab short
bed (if you can). Get a higher output turbo and a waste gate. Get the converter modified with the proper stall. Use the Allison, but you may
have to change the ratios. With turbos, atomatics are quite a bit quicker than manuals. That's because the auto loads the turbo at launch
where the manual doesn't. With a drag race, much of the ET is in the launch.

Blaine

Silver Bullet
07-12-2002, 08:22
Let's not forget the possibility of a twin turbo.

Saw this this morning...

http://www.highlifter.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000360

hoot
07-12-2002, 08:39
Just put a "GT-R" emblem on it and be done withit ;)

Kennedy
07-12-2002, 09:28
How'bout a mid engined '57 oval window VW Beetle??? :D

A truck like is something I too have contemplated, but not just too sure I can find the time. Would be much better than flogging my daily driver...

You do know you're gonna have to take on MP if you build one of these don't you?

tmg115
07-12-2002, 10:37
well here is the plan. i am wanting to get a chevy 2500HD reg cab d/a.
i will strip it down including seats and put a new light weaight seat it. i would have to do a roll cage and then fuel cells and batteries.

i know a guy in weatherford who will get me new injectors.
i need to find a twin turbo.

and i will also need a diet :D

maybe if i don't do it it would be a good side project for the DP. but i am still planning on doing it but it will take time and money :( (i am cheap :D )

konacat
07-12-2002, 12:54
tmg115,

I like the idea. Only one problem: The truck won't go over 95mph! You will need to find a way to change the brains so it will pull until it revs out. You could be the first to break the 100mph 1/4-mile barrier with a Duramax. When you do it be sure to tell Mackin first. :D

Jelisfc
07-12-2002, 14:13
I really like the idea of going with a TH400 or 4L80E. I disagree with the gearing though you run out of rpm. Everyone loves how a juiced DMAX pulls tall hills in 5th gear. Well at 120 mph a 29" tire turns 1273 rpm and if you run a race Max to 4000 rpm and no overdrive you need a 3.14:1 rearend to get 120 mph. With all that torque under 4000 rpm you should be able to do it with a TH400 (easily built and less expensive)and a numerically low gear.

Vehicle choice - Impala SS, potentially enough under hood room. If the exhaust was quiet enough you'd have an unbelievable sleeper. Better yet an old Checker cab.

Silver Bullet
07-12-2002, 15:19
LMAO...a checker cab!!! Better yet...if they can put a small block chevy in a motorcycle (Boss Hog), let's take it a step further and make it a DMAX Hogg!!! No more gutter for the ram air!!! :D Who'd a thunk it...one person catchin' so much grief over one simple "home improvement" to his truck??? I just wonder if Mrs. Alli-max has noticed the missing down spout yet!!! :D

tmg115
07-12-2002, 15:30
wait. hold the phone.

the hole point is to make a regular duramax truck run fast. not some cop car or nothing. just a plane truck.

Plasticfantastic
07-12-2002, 16:59
'57 oval ? mid-engined ? diesel ?
..... say, don't they have a new V10 TDI coming out .... hummmm ....

NutNbutGMC
07-12-2002, 18:36
^....A plane (plain) truck you say? I told you in the first place to put a jet turbine engine on it. That's a plane truck. :D

mackin
07-12-2002, 20:01
What TA........

WOW !!!!^!!!!!!!! You guys have gone crazy......What happened to using these trucks to haul a cord of wood out of the forest??????? Dam that JUICE box see what it started ....... Lunatics a whole bunch of lunatics .......

MAC :D tongue.gif :D

tmg115
07-12-2002, 20:55
Maybe i should sue edge for what they have done. hell if a women can sue mcdonalds for coffe i should have a open and shut case :D :D :D

afp
07-12-2002, 21:33
Jelisfc,

I drag raced for a few years. The quickest cars would run out of engine before the 1/4 mile. Remember, a drag rance is a distance race, not a speed race. The winners in a no breakout race are the ones who cross the finish line first--not the ones that run the fastest mph.

Ever notice how a top fuel car can break at say 300 feet down the track and still run something like a 8.33 at 87 mph? The launch is that important. In a perfect world, the engine would reach peak rpm at the lights. However, if the engine is still pulling past the lights, then a lower gear would make it even quicker. Since the power output will vary with temp, pa, and humidity, the best set-up is to have the motor run out of rpm just prior to the lights.

Blaine

Alli-max
07-12-2002, 22:53
Not yet Silver Bullet.... not yet.

I agree with RIPPING the Allison out of the drivetrain. it just isnt geared for racing, and going through those gears that fast wont help matters... but.. you never know.... A diesel red lines faster than a gasser, so a 5 speed MIGHT be JUST what you need.

hey TMG... if you do race it, you can borrow my front and rear bumpers for additional weight. An extra quarter ton doesnt hurt ET's that much now does it??

afp
07-13-2002, 09:18
Even gasser drag cars operate over a relatively narrow power band. My #2 and last drag car had a flat-top 350 and a glide in a 3200 lb car. I would take it to 5400 rpm against the two-step on the line, at launch the converter would flash to 6400, I'd shift at 8000 and crossd the lights at 8500. However, the motor was through at 8000. This engine--using a two-speed--only made power over a 1600 rpm range. The other engine combos I had, as well as my other car were the same. About 1500-1600 rpm was the range where the motor made it's power. The biggest drawback to the Allisn is the power it takes to turn it--it's over twice what a power-glide needs. However, I think the diesel would make good use of more than two gears.

An interesting note. The drag motor I'm speaking of dyoned at 610 HP at 7000 rpm. Peak torque was something like 440 ft lbs at 6000 (small block just don't have torque). Anyway, after all the messinmg and experimenting, the car ran best with a converter lock-up 400 rpm over peak torque and a shift point 1000 rpm over peak HP. Go figure.

Blaine

7mmSTW
07-13-2002, 15:40
First things first, you should check out the power project 2 here on the DP. There is a place that sells a manual valve body 4l80 rated up to 1200 HP. I can't remember the name but I believe that they are the same ones who builds the Raptor 700r-4. I have witnessed time and time again the advantage a powerjoke has in an empty race with their little tranny. That allison ROBS speed. I had to eat humble pie a while back after watching a 50 horse chipped stroke wax a stock 340 HP 8.1/Allison in a 1/4. As far as top speed, I would imagine a TTS reflash would work alright. Stack that with a box, propane, NOS, injectors, and more turbo and youd better hold on. :eek: :eek:

Later

Seven

NutNbutGMC
07-13-2002, 19:09
^... LMFAO...PIMP... Way too funny. A Woos calling all of us, "lunatics"...

Mackin.. You rock. :D :D :D :D D@mn it boy... I'm outta' here. See all y'all in the next thread...

[ 07-13-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

afp
07-13-2002, 20:16
TMG,

The more I think about this...........

You will sink a ton of money into buying a new stock rig and modifying it. Maybe buying a Chevy Truck rolloing chassis that's already been modified for drag racing would be a beetr way to go. It would probably be a 1500, but that would only be the body shell. Ideally, you'd find one with a tube chassis.

To me, the point of this is to set-up a full-blown race truck with the Duramax. If you go my route, you might even get away with a powerglide, which would nbe an advantage. The rule-of-thumb used be under 3000 lbs a powerglide was the best auto. 3000-3500 it was a wash between the powerglide and a three-speed. Three-speeds didn't really start to come into their own the cars were over 3500 lbs.

Given the way the diesel/turbo seems to work, a 3000 lb truck with a hopped up DMax and a glide would be mighty quick.

Another thought. Horsepower is an extremely important factor in a drag rig. We all love torque in our street rigs, but HP seems to much more of a factor when racing. To that end, you need to find a way to get more HP into the engine. While an extra 250-300 ft lbs of torque is nice, and extra 200-300 HP would be better--for a drag-race truck.

There must be some demented individual out there who has already domne something similar. You ought to fins him/her and pick their brain--if they'll even tell.

Blaine

Kennedy
07-14-2002, 17:49
Until they make a "heads up" class, it will be all about bragging rights anyhow.

Takes a pretty sharp tack to win a bracket race...

Jelisfc
07-16-2002, 07:18
AFP...I agree with your comment about running out of motor first. My point was diesels run slower so going to a lower geared rearend may not be the way to go in a race rig. Not too may people get into overdrive to make use of the reduction. I picked the max rpm and mph out of the air.

I was going to suggest a powerglide and I see you're coming around to that idea.

Joe.G
07-16-2002, 17:07
Kennedy, you got the sharp tack right, now all you need is a little luck to go with it, we have found out that luck beats anything you can throw at it! You need at least 2 or more rabbit feet to dragrace and we have lost all of ours!

tmg115
07-18-2002, 18:58
well heres the thing i am training this one horse for cutting and when i get done with him in about a month or two and sell him i am hopping he will bring in $40,000. so that is the hole thing on if i am going to do this or not. if not i am working on a new one but he will take a little while longer.

NutNbutGMC
07-18-2002, 19:13
^...So you are giving up 1 horsepower to build this faster than the speed of light truckin' machine? Not a bad swap out. :D

tmg115
07-18-2002, 19:20
lol :D i have never thought of it that way.