PDA

View Full Version : Juice 4.35, What should I expect?

RScott
10-20-2002, 13:08
I just recently installed my Juice after getting it upgraded to 4.35 from 3.51. I have it programmed for level 4 w. T/H off and level 2 with T/H on. I have a '02 D/A, CC, 4x4 w/285/75-16 tires. It WILL not light the tires by simply punching the throttle. If I run the RPM up to about 2000-2500 it takes off hard but still won't light the tires. The improvement in the mid range is impressive, at freeway speeds it shows very little lag and accelerates very hard. I guess I was expecting more at take off... Oh I also have NO fishbite at all and little smoke, just a nice black puff at take off then it's not much worse than stock.

mackin
10-20-2002, 13:30
RScott ,

Due you hold it and let the boost build????Or bring it up and just let the brake go???If you hold it till their squealing in level four, You'll fish tail out of the hole I would believe...Practice makes perfect and for bald tires.....

MAC :D

Plasticfantastic
10-21-2002, 02:09
It does take a couple seconds of WOT for the boost to build if you really want to see'em smoke. Your best bet is to try and learn to launch right BEFORE you lose traction...

TDIwyse
10-21-2002, 06:15
Sorry if this is a silly question. What do you mean by building boost? Are you holding the brake pedal down with the left foot while applying fuel with the right, and then releasing the brake pedal at a certain boost level? Do you slowly apply the fuel pedal, or do you smash it?

sdaver
10-21-2002, 07:22
the local tire dealer will appreciate you new found skill.....hold the brake with the left foot apply throttle with the right slowly until the boost comes up ( if you dont have guages until the tires start to break loose) then immediately stomp the throttle while releasing the brake. you should get about a 2 foot patch thru 1st then about a two foot section of no mark(while the trans shifts) and then a 4 or 5 foot strip thru 2nd gear and a chirp in third...........and angry neighbors some police dont find this very impressive and i think the way the write the ticket its called intentional dsplay of acceleration...(aka..reckless driving)......any help mack????????????/.........dave :D :D

Kennedy
10-21-2002, 08:02
Keep in mind that this is a CA emissions box calibrated not to smoke excessively with the EGR systems in place.

There WILL be further revisions from 4.35 which was set up as a solid, "safe mode" program that should be VERY stable. I cannot comment further on this, but am confident that Edge will be posting a new release level momentarily. I would suggest staying with this one until the new release has been out for at least a week to get it into the hands of a wide range of users.

mackin
10-21-2002, 15:16
sdaver

Depends how (Rookie :eek: ) angry the cop is...... I would prefer an "IMPROPER START".......
One rule never argue it could get worse.......

Hey I got one of them in my buddies 70 340 Duster once...... :rolleyes: He never could catch 4TH gear ..I could every time....I don't think he was trying hard enough......

MAC

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
10-21-2002, 16:31
I had to test out my old 3.6sucky!!!! ;) MAC!!! :D

Anyway with stock tires I would get 2 feet out of 1st - tranny shifts no marks - 15 to 20 feet out of 2nd - tranny shifts lighter marks - 5 to 10 feet out of 3rd then skipping marks. With the 285 I got the same just a lot shorter 2nd and barely a chirp out of 3rd.

Then came the SUPER JUICE :eek: :eek: . I don't have it quite perfected yet, but it is impressive to say the least.

285's smoke real nice. Gonna play with this v4.30 for a while before I go any higher. I am leary that EDGE is gonna take something away on the low end with another update.

WE WILL SEE,

GMC :D

RScott
10-25-2002, 16:44
Thanks for the feedback. I have only done one semi-hard 2 pedal launch... Seemed impressive. Haven't had a chance to race anyone yet.

Another question. Is the Juice box supposed to confirm its programming some how. Thought I read where it flashes the Change Engine Oil message. Is that true? If so I may still be running at level 2.

Does any of the gauge manufacures make a dual gauge? I have the Autometer steering column mount that has a single hole. I have the boost gauge but was thinking of a EGT insted, then a dual guage hit me. Any ideas? I do not and will not go for the pillar mount set up. I'm going to the SEMA show in a couple weeks and check it out.

TLA
10-25-2002, 16:56
I saw a dual guage somewhere - I'll will search what is left of mind to see if I can remember where. If you have to choose, and are towing, go with the EGT.

chevmeister
10-25-2002, 17:48
spa makes a dual digital guage DG-211
http://www.spatechnique.com/
ISSPRO make a 3" dual analog guage R609
www.isspro.com

RScott
10-31-2002, 01:00
After service I reinstalled the Juice and did get the confirmation Change Oil light. I also found a 2" EGT/Boost gauge. It's by Westach and is $275 without the sender...

Unless I find something better, this is what I'm going with.

SoCalDMAX
10-31-2002, 10:56
I'd recommend the SPA DG211 dual digital gauge for that kind of money. You get digital display, surface mount components, variable brightness, peak hold readings, variable update rate, .1psi boost/1* EGT resolution and a SLEW of other menu options. It comes with an aircraft quality harness and both EGT and boost senders. Price isn't much more than that, by the time you add senders to the other gauge, it'll cost more.

I'm using the SPA DG211 and DG101 (oil press and temp) gauges. With 2 gauges and 1 switch, I'm monitoring boost, EGT, oil press., oil temp, tranny temp and diff temp. Just call me curious... ;)

Click on the pics below to see both mounted in an Autometer dual A-pillar pod.

Regards, Steve

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 19:49
Steve,

How are you getting 3 temps and one pressure from one gauge? I wanted to voltage, oil temp, oil pressure, trans and diff temp along with the boost and egt. Just call me George. tongue.gif

RScott
11-05-2002, 00:41
Ok had my first Juice tow last weekend. More impressed than when empty. I ran the tow/haul on the whole time and had the juice at level 2 per what I've read here. Pulling my 10K Weekend Warrior up Whitewater out of Palm Springs, IT NEVER DOWNSHIFTED! WOW! 5th the entire grade and got up to 70mph before the peak. I was not using the CC. I did use the CC for most of the trip back from Glamis and it didn't downshift once except to pass. I'm totally pleased.

SoCalDMAX
11-05-2002, 09:04
Chris,

Sorry for the late reply! I'm using the DG211 which displays Boost/EGT. I'm also using the DG101 which displays oil press./oil temp. I'm using a 4P3T rotary switch to select between 4 possible senders (only 3 connected for now.) The switch is mounted in the space where the 4WD switch would normally go and allows the oil temp gauge to display oil, tranny and diff temp.

I also have a toggle switch which I'm going to use to hook up a boost/vacuum sender to the fuel line and monitor that as well, just for giggles.

RScott,

Thats great to hear! What were your EGTs at that weight/speed/grade? Which gauge did you decide to go with?

Regards, Steve