PDA

View Full Version : engine problems

Charles
10-21-2002, 19:12
My dad is on a trip right now in his duramax truck and his having problems. Every time he goes up a hill or tries to accelerate, his truck hesitates and puffs some black smoke out the tail pipe. It does fine cruising at 65mph, as long as there are no hills. He is guessing it is bad gas, but no lights have come on the dash yet. Anyone got any ideas. This is the first time he has had any problems with the truck. The truck has 25,000 miles and the fuel filter only has about 5,000 miles on it.

wangotango
10-21-2002, 22:18
Yep, gas will do that to a diesel engine.

w/t

Charles
10-21-2002, 22:40
cool, thanks

Amianthus
10-22-2002, 09:01
Just a guess. Sounds like a leaky injector. The extra fuel is gonna cause the black smoke and will bring rail pressure down considerably to the point that the bank of cyliders will not have sufficient pressure to fire remaining ones properly. Hence the hesitation. But, that's just my guess. There really is no roadside fix or quick "get me by" anything that can be done.
Best thing is to bring it in. I wouldn't worry too much about damage to the engine though. You might elevate your soot levels and maybe even get some fuel in the oil, but not in an alarming quanity. However, like I said, that's just my guess.

MountainMax
10-22-2002, 10:28
You didn't say what altitude he was at. A friend of mine came up to the mountains this summer claiming similar symptoms. His engine was starving for air. I replaced the air filter which was quite dirty and cured the problem.

Charles
10-22-2002, 13:06
He took it a dealership this morning and had the fuel filter replaced. He said it seems to be driving fine now. I was suprised, considering that the filter only had 5,000 miles on it. Thanks for all the input everyone.

mackin
10-22-2002, 18:31
Charles

Don't be surprised as the fuel filter is only as good as the fuel you get......If you get DIRTY fuel more often it will shorten the life...In addition he may have mistakenly fueled up at a station that just had a delivery and picked up some water .....I had a bitch of a time once in my 98 clearing water especially when it is really stirred up after a Station delivery.....I only got the water in fuel light once, but yet it stumble smoke for awhile till the tank was almost gone.....Had to keep clearing.....Those of you with 6.5's knew what that was like......No picnic......

MAC

2K2AD
10-22-2002, 18:35
wangotango,

Slipped that one right on by...

Kevin