PDA

View Full Version : Fast Learn mode

KompressorMan
07-13-2002, 05:46
While I was at the dealership with the fuel injector fiasco, I told the mechanic about this forum and the 50 MPH->first gear thing that has been discussed. He said the way he does it is this. First, disconnect all four cables from the batteries. Then tape the + & - cables together and leave overnight. He said it will completely erase the memory. Just be sure to disconnect both batteries before taping. He said this is the way he had been taught at GM school. Any thoughts?
Herb

odoh
07-13-2002, 07:39
While I didn't tape together, once having them disconnected for a couple of days worked for me. Less scary than 50+MPH downshift to first not once but several timees :eek: ~ odoh

mackin
07-13-2002, 09:43
HEY WOOOOO

We want "FAST LEARN" no over nite stuff...... We's driving here not sleepin in....... tongue.gif
It's not scary ,drop that LEVER down........ Then your off to snappy shifts......

MAC :D smile.gif :D

Kennedy
07-14-2002, 17:40
If you REALLY want fast learn, the Tech II is necessary (or Allison's tool) and you go into Special Functions/Transmission, and clear all TAP cells (reset adaps) and THEN you will have it.

I have not seen any evidence of the 50 mph downshift having any direct effect on the transmissions adaptive shift parameters, but will admit it SEEMS to do something...

FirstDiesel
07-14-2002, 17:43
I did it the other day and the tranny has been real funky ever since. Start up from the corner without coming to a complete stop and the 1-2 shift slips then bangs. The other shifts feel strange too. Sorta wish I didn't do it.

RScott
07-16-2002, 00:31
FirstDiesel,

That is a TCM issue. Take it to the dealer and complain and they'll flash it with the latest program and it will correct it. Mine did it too until my last service and now all is well...

FirstDiesel
07-16-2002, 04:28
My truck was built in May and when I check ed the website I was pretty sure it had all the latest updates already. After a few hundred miles it seems like its getting better again.