PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil Start Use??

Albee
07-13-2002, 08:50
Quick question... When is the desirable time to start using synthetic engine oil? I am planning on using DelVac 1, but not really clear on when to start use. Thanks in advance!

george morrison
07-13-2002, 09:38
The major concern is not "break-in" as your Duramax was probably completely broken in by the time you made your first left turn from the dealership. The biggest hurdle is getting the engine flushed of all the debris from engine build, break-in remnants, etc. Thus several shorter interval mineral based changes accomplishes this without wasting the Delvac 1. I ran several Mobil Delvac 1300S flushes and at 3,000 miles was on Delvac 1. I know of several Duramax's that were changed at 1,000 miles and all is going very well; the engine uses no oil and the oil analysis is excellent.
As said many times before, all Corvettes since 1997, all Vipers, Porsches, etc. leave the factory with Mobil 1 synthetic in the crankcase.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

csimo
07-15-2002, 09:52
The whole idea of waiting 5000 or 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic is nothing more than an urban legend.

Many of the best engines in the world have synthetic oil in them from the factory.

There's a FAQ on the Mobil 1 web site that addresses this issue.

MudNurI
07-15-2002, 14:24
Add us to the list of people that changed over at 1000 miles- poor truck was 4 days old! but we also never did that "55 mph break in period either?" so far 30K on her clock and no engine problems.

Brandy