PDA

View Full Version : Price drop on Rotella synthetic?

SWLA
07-13-2002, 11:30
Was in the local Wal-Mart last night and as usual I took a walk through automotive to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. The Rotella synthetic was 12.98 a gallon. IIRC, when it came out a few months ago it was around 18.00 a gallon. Have they dropped the price or am I mistaken about the original price? Just curious, but I wonder if they realized at 18-19 bucks a gallon they could not compete with Mobil delvac 1?

Professor
07-13-2002, 14:05
What kind of prices are you seeing for Delvac 1?

At the truck stops they want $27 a gallon. I get it from a local distributor for $75 per case (4 gallons) I have not been able to find it in the local Wal-Marts here.

george morrison
07-13-2002, 16:04
I was very surprised also to see the Shell Rotella Synthetic (actually a group III basestock vs. Delvac 1 PAO/Ester) priced within a dollar or so of the 'real' synthetic.. I think the price reduction was correspondong to that exact realization. Amazingly, another "synthetic" group III manufacturer was selling the exact same engine oil a year ago, before the Castrol group III okay to call synthetic decision for $3.96/gallon. That same formulation is now $14.00 a gallon... Last year's name was "Gold", this year it is now called "synthetic": I think they got the names reversed...

AV Lubricants price for Delvac 1 is $8l.39 (avlube.com) for a case of 4 one gallon containers.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-13-2002, 20:25
hey everyone,

I have 7500 Miles on my '02 and am on the 4th oil change with dealer oil changes done at 500-1500-3000-5500 miles. I am going to change it out again at 8000 or 8500 miles.

Is it a good time to switch to syntheteic and if I do what kind of miles should I be putting on her before I change out the oil in the future.

OH!!! I don't mean to start a war here but can anyone tell me why one synthetic is better than another???

Thanks,

GMC ;)

george morrison
07-13-2002, 21:22
Prior to switching to synthetic, I would suggest running an oil analysis for baseline. Then, after switching to Synthetic (Delvac 1 5W-40, preferably)(I am biased but it is from 20 years of incredible performance/direct experience with Delvac 1) you can use that as your baseline to develop your ideal drain interval. Generally one can double the normal drain interval however it is dependent on one's driving conditions (pulling, dusty conditions, desert heat, etc.)
By changing your synthetic based on what oil analysis results say, you will then be optimizing for your conditions..
I have fleets that I work with who have been doing 100,000 and 125,000 mile drain intervals with Delvac 1. These are for over the road Cummins/Detroits and in many cases engines go over 1,000,000 miles without so much as a main bearing turn or turbocharger replacement. We cannot achieve that level of ODI due to our limited oil capacities and driving conditions but Delvac 1 can...
George Morrison, STLE CLS

SWLA
07-14-2002, 11:08
The only place I have found down here to get Mobil Delvac 1 is at a local Mobil distributor. When I called to ask they had to check and see if they even had any. Had 1 case of 4 gallons for $80.00. I would like to swith from Rotella to Delvac 1, but I'm a little concerned about getting a reliable supply. How much is shipping for a case?

LanduytG
07-14-2002, 12:40
You can get 5 gallon, 2-2 1/2 jugs of the Amsoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine for $69 plus $11.60 shipping. Just call and the brown truck will bring it to your door step in a couple days.

Greg

Professor
07-14-2002, 16:52
SWLA

Ask your local Mobil distributor if they will normally keep a case on hand. Mine usually stocks 40 cases. Worst case, call a couple of weeks ahead and tell them to order you a case. They will have shipments coming in all the time. I used to have them order V-Twin Mobil 1 for my Harley. They don

george morrison
07-14-2002, 19:06
You can check the delivered price on avlube.com by going through a faux purchase then bailing out before they ask for your credit card info.. Just click "buy" and put in your address, UPS delivered price is computed, then either proceed or bail out. Nothing is retained if you do not want to purchase. That way you will be able to determine delivered price of Delvac 1 easily with no hooks..
Usually it is competetive by the time it reaches you as there is no sales tax, handling fee, only UPS charges; plus it is delivered to your door without having to leave your LaziBoy! :)
And they are the highest rated Yahoo level store, and you already know someone who works there!
George
George

TXMAX
07-14-2002, 21:02
This is an excellent article about synthetics with pros and cons. It also deals with the difference btwn base stocks etc. I did not realize that only within the last few yrs that class III base stocks were able to marketed as full synthetics. That is one of the issues Greg had been making regarding Amsoil. It and Mobile (I think) are class IV and as such have always been "true synthetics"

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=311

Regards,

Abe

walkerkd
07-15-2002, 14:17
yea i was at walmart too this weekend and saw that the rotella syn. was 12 bucks or so.. i have heard good things about it.. not real sure how good it is. i like the rotella.. back home(west texas) everyone uses delo. because heck all of us worked for chevron. i know thats a good oil too. but im partial to rotella. anyway! has anyone tried the syn? how did they like it?? i talked to my friend yesterday he runs the rotella t with the amsoil by-pass system 01 ctd..

walkerkd
07-15-2002, 14:40
yea i was at walmart too this weekend and saw that the rotella syn. was 12 bucks or so.. i have heard good things about it.. not real sure how good it is. i like the rotella.. back home(west texas) everyone uses delo. because heck all of us worked for chevron. i know thats a good oil too. but im partial to rotella. anyway! has anyone tried the syn? how did they like it?? i talked to my friend yesterday he runs the rotella t with the amsoil by-pass system 01 ctd.. and loves it .. he changes his oil every 10k miles.. and he says its really clean. just seems like a long time on oil. just my .02 cents.