PDA

View Full Version : OOPS!

NEW2DMAX
07-13-2002, 21:30
Had trouble in a sandy area so i put her in 4wd and drove out no problem, got out to lock the gate got back in and drove home approx. 60 miles all highway @ 70mph o'crap just relized that I did not put in 2wd, do you think I hurt anything? :confused:

Me4OSU
07-13-2002, 21:58
Naw, I've done it and been with friends that have done it. Might tend to "cup" the front tires if you make a habit of it though. Don't worry.

Silver Bullet
07-13-2002, 23:35
I had a friend do that in a 4x4 Tahoe...only drove 25 miles and the tranny went out a week later...still don't know if they were related.

motovet
07-14-2002, 00:58
Well at the very least that bit of info will make ya feel better! Everything should be fine. I did this to our 00',but I didn't realize it for nearly 100mi. Nothing bad came of it.

ccds
07-14-2002, 01:21
I left mine in 4wd for nearly 200 miles and nothing ever came of it either....I know its not
the best thing to do but **** happens.

I have nearly 20,000 kilometers on it now and its
still just fine.

smile.gif

Burner
07-14-2002, 14:26
OOPS is right. I had forgotten to put my truck back into 2wd the other day. I drove maybe 12 miles on the innerstate @ 70mph. I was pulling 11k at the time. The breather "poped" open and let out about a quart of fluid. The Alli acted really strange after that. I have since taken it to the dealer. They said that it was fine but "had to much fluid in it"? The factory had overfilled it... a lot. They added the "updates" to the trans and sent me on my way. ---- The thing has not be right since.

Rich :rolleyes:

mackin
07-14-2002, 14:47
Burner,

When you say IT AIN"T been right since..... Do you mean with the software updates? As you might or might not no I'm a REBEL when it comes to doing the updates as others are ..... What is it that isn't right? ...... If you would explain, cause you got my attention ....... I never did make an appointment to get it done, just cannot seem to rationalize doing it when it works so well now.....JK says my shift quality will improve ,anything else in my book is useless..... What's an occasional false SES,let's me now the bulb works...... It's a know fact the 01's are quicker anyway,
less detuning of the Allison in the software ....... Well, for what I've been told anyway.......
MAC ;)

Burner
07-14-2002, 16:51
Mackin,

I think that I have a bad valve body or something in the trans. Mine has not been right for about 2 months. However, it may get better with age.

I did notice that the "update" seems to have changed the shift points (lowered) and the shift, as if it has more presure on it with more duration. I would listen to JK, this is his job, do the update.

Just thinking about it..... I've had a similar problem with my 99' loader(WA-380), It weighs 50,200 lbs roughly. I was trying to increase production and pushed the "Alli" in it to hard. I had the same problem.....oil comming out of the vent pipe valve. I seems to be fine after running it for over a year. smile.gif

Rich

APR2000
07-14-2002, 17:42
I did the same thing: drove about 40 miles on the Interstate pulling a horse trailer in 4 hi after coming out of a field. The problem is that you only have that dinky little orange light to indicate 2 or 4 wd. Did no harm, but it was a learning experience. I couldn't feel or tell the difference, now is that a smooth riding 4x4 or what? It was a learning experience, as I now have an automatic response to check that light.

I am also an original no updates 01 guy, and still satisfied as is.

Maxter
07-14-2002, 21:59
I did that several time on the highway but on icy/snowy roads. On dry pavement I can usualy hear and feel the difference between 4hi and 2hi.

The drivetrain noise is higher in 4hi and the steering feel is a little heavier. You can sometimes hear some kind of force build up in the drivetrain that is normaly dissipated when there's less tire adherence.

I think when they say not to do it they mean "constantly" like half the time in 4hi on dry pavement.

I would not worry about it if its occasionaly or when pulling heavy like another member did.

I had a similar question a few months ago when I got the truck.