PDA

View Full Version : TCM/ECM UPGRADES?

2L MAN
10-22-2002, 22:26
Are there some dealer performed upgrades that can be done? I have an '02 Dmax w/Allison. I've come across a few mentions of it in the forum, but would like to know more. Any information would be appreciated, as mine has never been back to the dealer for recalls, TSB's, etc. :confused:

Kennedy
10-23-2002, 09:05
I'd suggest removing the aftermarket intake and reinstalling the stocker just to maintain the out of sight= out of mind factor.

There are a number of updates available, and the level of cooperation is dependant on the dealer. Generally, most will require that you have a symptom that is addressed somewhere in a bulletin. Some will simply do it as a coutresy or to "humour" you. Keep in mind, these guys deal with a lot of crack pots in a day looking for "crystal ball" diagnosis.

Some common symptoms:

ECM

SES light after use of block heater.

Boost or MAF codes. These WILL get you a "hook eye" in regards to the modified intake.

Pulsing idle when cold

TCM

Excessive downshifting from 5 to 4.

Slip-BANG when stopped on a grade (2-1 downshift) and starting out.

Unless you know the dealer tech very well, and have his respect as a knowledgeable diesel owner/mechanic, it is generally best to "present with symptoms" and possibly interject that you were wondering if any computer updates were available. If you make the diagnosis, it can be difficult to get cooperation in kind of a "lead a horse to water..." type of context.

2L MAN
10-23-2002, 21:48
Thanks for the info. I can't really say I'm experiencing any of these specific symptoms, but I always want the latest and greatest. Is it worth pursuing, and if so does it matter in respect to the edge what programming has been done to the ECM/TCM.