PDA

View Full Version : How long before high idle

Forced Induction
01-30-2003, 05:50
Just a simple quick question. How long does everyone wait on a cool morning (about 15F)before engaging the high idle. I don't want to race the engine when it just starts, even if it was plugged in. Just looking for some opinions.
Thanks
Jason

One more thing, how much does fuel consumtion increase at the 1200rpm idle versus the ~650?? At 1200 are we still better than a gasser idling?

mackin
01-30-2003, 17:39
I personally let the AMP gauge settle out and bump it up to stand by 850 RPM for 5 min MIN sometimes way longer...... Then prior to leaving (depending how long in stand by) I bump it up to second level 1250, 5 min. or under and I'm off.......For you 01 guys,with three levels......I have noticed since the COLD LOPE ECM flash fix it naturally idles a bit higher also......

Once I get my oil pan heater in this weekend this may change......

MAC ;)

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

imported_
01-30-2003, 18:54
I usaully hit the remote start, take my morning pee :D , pour myself a coffee, and then hit the high idle. Go shower and get ready for the day, total idle time 20-30 mins at -30C. The temp gauge barely moves but it is warm inside.

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

Kennedy
01-30-2003, 20:01
Just a couple minutes is nice before ramping it up. The curb idle is a little bit higher anyhow as commanded by the ECM. I've got mine set to 900 set speed and 1100 resume, BUT since installing the exhaust brake, I don't use them any more..

Mac,

When you go to apply the pad, size it up real good before pulling the adhesive backing, and start by acring the pad and apply starting in the center and work to the ends. If it stretches and pulls away in the middle it will burn out. I speak from experience... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, don't touch it after 3 seconds from plugging it in! :eek:

[ 01-30-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>