PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter help

DURA-MAX3
07-15-2002, 12:09
does anyone know who makes the stp oil filters and if any body is running them are they having good luck with them. thanks

1BADDMAX
07-15-2002, 18:00
The STP oil filters that I bought at AutoZone are made my Champion. I have to date run two of these filters on my truck. I just got back from the beach today and changed my oil and put my last Hastings filter on. These filters seem to be good quality and I've had absolutely 0 problems with them.

Raptorrider2001
07-15-2002, 18:08
I looked at the STP and it does not look like it has the pressure relief valve in the bottom of it like the AC does. Maybe it is made in a different way and can't be seen. Just my $.02.

TXMAX
07-17-2002, 03:35
1BADDMAX,

Not to scare you but I think there was a recall on the Hastings filter for the DMAX. I think it had to do with the bypass valve. You may want to do a search here or contact Greg Landuy (SP?). He should be able to give you some gouge on the Hastings issue since he's an Amsoil dealer that does it for a living. I just do it to get the price break.

Regards,

Abe

DmaxMaverick
07-17-2002, 15:01
The reason for the Hastings recall was for thin cartridge walls. There was a possibility of rupture under extreme pressures associated with cold starts in areas where the temps get really low.

I have used the old and new Hastings filters with no problems. I can't tell the difference externally. I had 2 of the old filters at the time of the recall and opted to use them anyway. My truck will likely never get even close to the conditions described as being the problem.

The Hastings filters, new and old, have bypass and anti-drainback valves. There was a filter brand that didn't have the anti-drainback valve, but I don't remember which. It was a brand I wouldn't use anyway.

This, of course, is factual scientific data, but I could be wrong.

1BADDMAX
07-17-2002, 15:32
I knew about the so called problem with the Hastings/Baldwin filters. I ran 3 of those filters previously without any problems. I will probably buy the STP filters from now on as they are only $4.99.

LanduytG
07-17-2002, 15:42
Amsoil SDF-52 made just for the Duramax. Correct releif valve pressure, anti drain back. With a blended media of glass, synthetic and cellulose. 8.70 each.

Greg

ram/tx
07-17-2002, 17:15
Not to get into a p@@@ contest over who's filter is the best, but why do you men pay over $40,000 for a vehicle and then want of save $5.00 on a oil filter that is at the heart of the engine. I'll keep useing the AC filter and know I'm getting a good filter that is doing what it is suppose too. Just my .02 worth.

Lone Eagle
07-17-2002, 21:33
ram/tx, Did you really give over $40K for your truck? I shoped around and only gave $37K for mine. Later! Lone Eagle :D

crafty
07-18-2002, 06:12
I agree with you ram/tx, I did pay over $40 grand and I will stay with the AC filters. The dealer gave me a break on a case of 12 so I paid $15 (can) or $9.30 US. It isn't worth it to me to be worrying that there may be a problem with a filter. :D :D :D

ram/tx
07-18-2002, 17:04
Lone Eagle...I see your DMAX isn't a 4X4 and a short bed, so maybe you did only pay $37,000, but why would you what to skimp on an oil filter even for a Vehicle that only cost $37,000, that is still alot of money and you want to save that $5.00, that might put you to walking while they install a new engine and not under warranty, because you saved money on an oil filter. Have A Safe and Happy Day. :D :D :D

SledZep
07-21-2002, 12:39
Ram/tx I can tell you why....maybe
First off I am not rich.
Rich people seem to be concerned with what they pay for things. Thats how they get rich. Save $5 here $10 there it all adds up to a way of life that can help you acquire wealth. No reason to pay more if you can expect the same or comparable service from something else. Many times original equipment from the factory may be correct and all you need, but not necesarily the best equipment and still cost more.
That said, I usually buy the name brand for a few dollars more just for some peace of mind. But like I said, I am not rich, and dont seem to be headed there either...
Please nobody take offense... I did not mean you when I mentioned rich$$... :D

REC06
07-21-2002, 15:38
i bought the ac delco oem 2232 filter at a local cheapo auto parts store in michigan for $3.59 us each. They only had two so I bought them both, oem part right price just lucky I guess