PDA

View Full Version : '03 Dmax FS Discounted from Priv Owner!

bryantch
10-23-2002, 19:21
Well guys, I have been lurking around this board for a couple of years now and purchase an '01 dmax xcab sb 4x4 as a result of this forum. I also own a 99 PS (101k abusive miles with no probs)so the decision to go with gm was agonizing to say the least!

Unfortunately i got a fourty thousand dollar piece of S^%t!. After numerous trips to the dealer, starting a file with gm and talking to the zone rep last wed, the decision to replace this truck has been made. the downside is that the zone rep says the truck doesnt fit the criteria for an outright buyback so short of living with this problem until it does (which i cant afford), my only option is for them to get me into a new chevy truck. they have agreed that my expense will be any difference in sticker price ($39740 - '01 in Oct 2001-i paid $34000+/-) of my truck and mileage (28k)at $.20/mile. they have agreed to reimburse me for add ons like the bedspray, powervision, nerf bars, etc or install like on new truck.

I have to say that the dealership, gm customer service and the zone rep have been quite pleasant to deal with and have done all that they are capable of doing to date. The deal they have proposed is fair in my opinion, but there is one major problem:

I CANNOT STAND THE NEW FRONT ENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a very busy contractor and work this truck daily, so i cant afford to have the truck in the shop a couple of more times (and be given a geo prism to drive) in hopes of the outright buyback. I thought about buying a lesser truck and giving it to my foreman and trading the old ford in for a new one for me, but that would **** him off (he hates the new front end also).

So I guess I am looking for any opinions or optiona that I may have overlooked in this matter, or for some one who wants to order a 2003 and use my $39740+/- credit with gm that I will sell at a discount.

:confused:

mackin
10-23-2002, 19:33
Buy a GMC !!!!!!

Man I hate pushing that...I can't wait for an 04 change!!!!!!
I think this is GM way to boost GMC sales..Make the Chebby so UGLY no one wants one !!!!!!

MAC

Mike G.
10-23-2002, 19:34
Bryantch...Sorry to hear about your problems with your truck...I truly sympathize...I have a thread on this forum as well(d/max owner needs your help..) I've been going thru buy back problems with GM for the last 5 months...I don't know what kind of help you might need but, I do have alot of names, addresses, phone #'s, even names to contact in the media. If you would like to avail yourself of any of this info just let me know. I don't know how much they may help but you are welcome to them...Mike G.

bryantch
10-23-2002, 19:54
The problem is that the chevy is freakin ugly and the only option I have is to swap for a chevy and not a gmc (which look a whole lot better). I thought that maybe someone out there likes the new chevy front ends and wants to get a fair discount on a new one. I have been given the option of ordering a new truck so I could order it for someone else and they could then buy it from me when it comes in at a discount. then i would be free to purchase a gmc, ford, dodge or whatever...well... definately not a dodge.

I am just reaching here because of my dislike for the new body style...

thanks for the support

GMCTRUCK
10-23-2002, 20:18
Sorry about your predicament. I agree with your thoughts on the Chevy. I had planned on ordering a Chevy till I saw the 03 pics and decided to go with the GMC. As far as lemons Ford vs. GM doesn't seem to matter too much. I had a trouble free F350 PSD. My partner has 140k on his F350 and only major problem just happened when it smoked the computer. He had to wait 2 weeks for a new one because they are backordered?! My friend had his 99 Superduper lemon'd, his 2001 Superduper lemon'd and now his 2002 isn't looking so good. Apparently quality isn't job 1 on any brand anymore. I like the Ford but would never buy another one as long as the dork in the tie is still on the TV commercials.

bryantch
10-23-2002, 20:58
Dont get me wrong, I understand that ford and dodge do not have perfect products. in fact, my 98 dodge cummins was repurchased after 4 transmissions in 52k and i have a buddy with a ps that he b#$^%es about. one of my main problems with gm is that they bill this truck as a "heavy duty" truck. in my opinion it is not. like i said, i agonized for weeks over which truck to purchase and the chevy appeared to be the best choice. the short comings of this truck only became apparent after i owned it. like not being able to put 265s on it without warrany issues (they did screw up my transmission-returned to normal after changed back). I have a $1600 set of rims and tires sitting in my shop as a result-dealer showed me the tech bulletin that came out 6 mos AFTER I bought the truck. the bed rail/toolbox problem being another. The transmission that is so sensitive to voltage that it wont go into gear if the voltage has dropped below 8v during starter engagement (not hard when the cold start circuit engages). This particular issue has plagued my truck due to an apparent intermittent relay shutdown problem that occasionally kills both batteries in a matter of hours. Imagine jump starting your vehicle, letting i warm up and then putting it into gear only to find that the allison doesnt want to go anywhere! turn it off, turn it on, off, on, off, on, nothing. somewhere between 8-22 on/off cycles later (45 minutes)the truck will move! lots more probs but i wont go there...

my apologies for the ranting...i USE this truck everyday for work. i dont have the time to deal with cronic truck problems! and i hate being faced with the choice of dealing with this lemon or owning a truck that i find extremely cosmetically challenged...

typecast
10-23-2002, 21:22
My opinion is just that, an opinion, but I was immediately drawn to the new '03 look. I have always liked vehicles that have a more angular, chiseled look instead of the rounded, softer look of the 99-01 Chev's.

The '03s also have a lot of new features that are really beneficial to business use of the truck. The truck will automatically track business mileage, gallons used, % of miles business v personal, etc. The steering controls are a really usuable new feature and I also like the automatic climate control.

I really like the '03, enough so that I sold a perfectly reliable Toyota truck for it -- my first GM product ever. I do hope to dress up mine with some larger tires and wheels and add some Westin stainless step bars.

Galen

[ 10-23-2002: Message edited by: typecast ]</p>

mackey_62
10-24-2002, 06:13
Bryantch, any chances you can get this deal on a GMC? I agree 100% '03 is just plain ugly, period.

Hopefully the General changes for '04.
Look, it's affecting sales (less for Chev, more for GMC).

Seriously, I think GM needs to concentrate on the Heavy Duty aspect a little bit too.
And what's with that commercial? Black dooley and the horses :confused:

Typecast, I'm glad you like your truck, really. Please don't take any of this personal, this is just my opinion. That said......
I for one think the general is getting a little off-track again. I don't need or want a computer to tell me how many gallons I used for business.
IMHO GM lost a lot of sales in the '90's because they didn't offer a heavy duty truck to compete w/F***.

I am not a F*** supporter in any way, never was. Never owned one. But man was I happy when GM came out with Dmax HD's in '01. (was starting to consider F350) I thought finally they woke up, well....looks to me like they're going off-track again. I'm not too thrilled that I have to pay more and more for a truck just because it's coming with features I don't need or want.

I may very well be in the minority here, but I wish you could still get a "work truck". I'd be happy if I could get the old square looking pre-'87 with a Dmax. No digital, computerized trip meters, climate control? Old knobs controlled the climate just fine.

'nuff said, getting off-track myself.

Actually I'm a litle torqued today after reading post about exhaust by 6.6LImpalaSS :mad:

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

IndigoDually
10-24-2002, 07:55
The commercial's message is simple:

"The New Chevy Silverado, Ugly enough to scare a herd of Wild Horses" :D

John

imported_
10-24-2002, 08:40
I got my '03 Chevy D/A in dark metallic graphite grey and w/o exception everyone says it looks great - even those who don't like the new look on the 1500's say it's a geat looking truck.

The '03 HD's came out all-right!

Just put 2,000 miles on it and everything is fine. Already averaging 20-22 mpg on the highway. 18 mpg overall.

Went to Transferflow in Chico, CA and got a 45 gallon replacement tank installed. Absolutley a class "A" act.

Highly recommended for those with a short bed who want some more range than the 26 gallon tank offers but do not want to sacrifice bed space for an auxiliary tank.

BTW, anyone in HB area know of good diesel stations?

More Power
10-24-2002, 15:25
bryantch,

Please be specific.... What is it about all 2500HD/3500 GM trucks that is not "heavy-duty" (when compared to Ford/Dodge)? Frame strength? Rear axle GVW? Front axle GVW? Overall truck GVW? Truck/trailer GCVWR? Braking system? Engine Power? Transmission GVW rating? Cup holders? What?

MP

hoot
10-24-2002, 17:56
I'm gonna step in some do-do here.

My opinion.....

GM screwed up with the low frame and light duty IFS front end.

Just ask Pullinpower and another fellow that drove into a ditch, got stuck and the accessories in front of the engine start falling off. No power steering or brakes after getting stuck in a ditch? You call that HD?

Another guy does a 4wd power launch and bends his pencil thin tie rod.

Ask the guys doing sled pulls in 4x4. The front end shimmies it's butt off. No match for SFA.

We don't do most of those things but those are the things that tell you which trucks can take it.

It's a great over the road truck though.

Don't ya all love me?

Seriously guys, it's a great truck but not a match for the Super Duty overall.

That's why Ford sells so many and will keep selling so many. Take your blinders off people. The Dmax plant is making 400,000 engines a year now after over two years of production. GM wanted to "take over" the HD market but they have a plant that makes less than half the engines the competition makes. Did they know something we didn't know?

The Navistar plant is capable of over 1000 new 6.0 diesels a day. And it's a brand new engine!Now that's positive thinking.

Again, I love my truck. It's great. It's been real good to me. But it's not as HD as the Ford.

Now that new Ford tranny..... that could be the problem for Ford. Our Dmax/Ally is sweet but the fuel system is becoming suspect. Hopefully GM will handle it to our satisfaction.

:eek:

pullinpower
10-24-2002, 18:22
Hate to say it hoot but I agree with you,those where the exact words I said to alli-max when I noticed my steering pump went out. Makes ya mad when they call these truck HD's with such low frames and spoilers that get tore off over speed bumps ;) Guess im too "brand loyal" to jump ship though,maybe GM will open their eyes,they better or I may be the first to jump in 04!! :D LOL

conradv
10-24-2002, 18:29
Hoot - Uh oh, now you'll have Duke over here... ;)

But seriously, I will use my truck for bumping around the home place, hauling ties & stumps & brush & anything else I feel like; already took it elk hunting and have marks in the bed from hauling a freezer, I know they won't be the last. It won't be a garage queen by any means (350 miles & counting!).

I'm not after an unyeilding hunk of iron, on AND off road (like my brother's PSD). If I want that, I'll jump into my '62 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: conradv ]</p>

bryantch
10-24-2002, 18:47
this post was not intended to get in a pi$$ing match with anyone regarding the relative merits of ford, dodge or gm... that said and statistics aside, the folks at gm, in my opinion, targeted potential first time diesel owners and those towing their campers on weekends with the silverado hd series truck. i really dont believe they built the truck for the guys who expect their truck to take everything they can give it and still get tools, trailers and equipment to jobsites day after day.

there is no problem with wanting market share and building a truck that the regular joe with a family and camper/boat can drive that is comfortable, gets decent economy and is quiet. however, i have been driving pickup trucks far longer than it has been "in vogue". not too long ago trucks were considered vehicles only driven by guys like me...contractors, service people, oil field hands, ranchers, etc. then they were very basic vehicles built for one purpose only...to WORK.

marketing people alot smarter than i, saw that they could expand their market by selling these trucks to the rest of the public by making them ride more like a car, adding all of the car-like options and could increase their bottom llne because a truck is inherently cheaper to build than a car. now we have $40-$50k trucks! sure they ride nice, you can get them with extra cabs, and crew cabs so you can take the family along and even get a freakin dvd entertainment system for the back seat! what they have in turn lost is the durability that guys like me depend on.

in my opinion dodge, ford and gm are just as culpable in this evolution (or digression depending on your opinion)of the truck that has become more car-like and less built for pure work purposes. ford imho is the only current manufacturer that started from the ground up and built a truck specifically for guys like me. they still have the light duty stuff that appeals to the general public, but they built a truck specifically for work. they did not take their existing truck, upgrade their drivetrain, give it a body lift and add a "heavy duty" designation. they also did not spec the bed steel to be so thin that guys like me have to add extra pieces to my $40k truck so my truck box wont split the damn thing in half! they lightened the box up for fuel economy reasons...because the average joe is more concerned with how many miles-per-gallons it will get than whether the toolbox from his last truck will fit. does anyone really think the new silverado 1500hd 1/2 ton is a "Heavy duty" truck? no, it is marketing.

the age old battle between dodge, gm, ford and their respective owners will rage on...maybe if this truck hadnt had so many problems i would feel differently...

i started this post hoping someone would like to get a deal on the "new" chevy i am getting and would appreciate it more than i will...my mistake

:confused:

GMCTRUCK
10-24-2002, 19:25
I think GM would kill the competition if they put "real" axles in the front again. There is something about a straigh axle and clearance that make a truck a truck. I can't stand that I can't comfortably roll around on a creeper under my truck without rubbing on the chassis. I think the magazines should start doing high center clearance tests on trucks instead of just posting ground clearance #s at lowest points. Maybe if GM engineers started seeing pictures of their trucks in print with all 4 off the ground or their fake bumpers ripped off from a mud puddle they would do something about the clearance on these trucks. That said the front drivetrain is much beefier than the previous generation K trucks. Also these trucks can typically keep going after an impact that would bend or break a straight axle. I've seen ifs GM trucks bottom out on the frame and keep going unphased where straigh axles turned into smiley shapes.

56Nomad
10-24-2002, 19:40
Well guys, it is all kinda relative. In 2000 I
bought a new 3/4 ton and HAD to have the old
body style. I could not really stomach the then
new body style.

Then came the Duramax and I must have looked
at the truck on the dealers lot 50 times
before I decided that I would move to the
more radical front end looks. After lots of
consideration, I decided to buy the new body
style. Now I see the old Chevy body style and
wonder why I thought it was so great??????

I love my 2002 truck, but....... guess what?
If I had to get a new Duramax, I think I would
getnto love the way the 2003 model looks. It is
all relative. On this forum, I think it is time
we quit slamming the new style and appreciate
the dynamics of what drives body style changes.

I own a 56 Chevy Nomad because I love the
way it was styled. My father in law bought
his 56 T-Bird and kept it until he died. I
never liked his Ford.... and he never liked
my Nomad. But we both appreciated the fact that
we loved our cars.

Just some thoughts........ smile.gif

hoot
10-24-2002, 19:48
bryantch and everybody else,

These are the things GM needs to hear wether they want to or not. GM will continue to do well with these trucks but we need to address the limitations and if possible, do the mods.

As far as the frame, suspension is concerned, you'll see me in a Ford before I'd dump thousands for ground clearance. These suspension aren't worth the expense and subsequent devalue of a lift.

Like brantch said, they are good for the masses but not the hard off road crowd. Sadly that does include lot's of commercial companies and farm types.

I still love my truck :D I knew what I was buying before I bought it, except for the new engine/trans dependability. That's been great so far.

Glad I'm not a duck hunter ;)

mackin
10-24-2002, 20:29
Yup your right point is that if you want a high center of gravity truck one you have to work extra hard at getting building supplies in or your wife's brother moved, ETC., ETC., into the bed then go for it.....

If you want to have to jump up into it every day after work or on those short trips in and out and in and out.....Then go for it.....

If you want to take your truck out and have plenty of clearance to drive threw mud and over stumps and drag brush down the side to scratch the crap out of it...Then go for it.....

If you need that ruff riding full axle front suspension to go and drag a sled or enter a tug of war .......Then go for it......

Me I grew up !!!!!!! Said hey off road to me is a gravel road.....I'm not scratching my truck I got PAYMENTS to make .... Driving long distance I can sit in the seat to great the people I visit that are waiting for me as I pull up, no rush to JUMP out.....Comfort.....
The older people in my family (Our Parents) think my truck is to high anyway.... :eek:
Pulls, I'm a spectator simple as that .....Will I roll it on a DYNO hell ya.....

GM has never really gone after the OFF ROAD market simple as that....They are going for the comfort and reliability....Has been that way as far as I can remember....

My truck is an HD ASPHALT Warrior and that's what I want !!!!!!!

Play NICE !!!!! Maybe it's a youth thing !!!!!!! I'm not that old just smarter !!!!!!

MAC :D

Hoot get your tale out of the war room ...... tongue.gif

wangotango
10-24-2002, 21:20
Sorry to hear that you're bummed-out.
Being bummed-out sucks.

I did a bit of a search and didn't find any posts by you about the problems with this truck. All apearances aside (ref new model), what are your beefs with the present truck you own? How is it failing you?

Maybe I missed something somewhere.
I've done that before.
Was bummed-out. It sucked.

w/t

Wally
10-24-2002, 21:43
I've been stuck once already in mine and you have no idea how embarrasing it was to have a CTD pull me off the ant hill I had gotten myself hung up on. The two front tires were just swinging in the breeze! Thought about using ski wax on my frame rails next time. So far I have put about 300 miles on my truck running the unimproved gas field roads around here and it isn't handling it very well. Lots of squeaks and rattles from the body. The doors had to be readjusted because they stopped closing right. Same for the tailgate. I've knocked the front end out of alignment once. I now have some kind of a knock coming from the right front when I hit the smallest bump. IMHO this is not a heavy duty truck when one considers using it on even moderate unimproved roads. I am now looking for an older Jeep to do my canyon running in because I will tear this truck up if I keep it up. Oh yeah I forgot about the broken rear brake line that was probably caused from running on washboarded roads.
As for tailgate height. The tailgate on this truck is taller by two inches than The superduties we run in the gas patch. I had to buy 92" ramps to safely load a fourwheeler in it. Two inches taller on the top and four inches shorter under the frame where ground clearance should be measured!
Still not enough to make me consider another brand but it is a crying shame that it can't be used as a real truck. If I was an independant contractor and had to buy a truck to work in the Gas patch here I promise it wouldn't be a GM!!
I'm due for a new company truck this year and I have requested one with the Blue thingy on the front. Current truck is a 1500 Chevy with only 67K on it but I have had the front end realigned 7 times, ball joints replaced once, and pitman and idler three times.

bryantch
10-24-2002, 22:08
w/t,

1. fuel junction block (?) failed at 4:00am while plowing snow (not with this truck, i was pulling a tractor with blower) and dump 30 gal of fuel on the way to dealership 25 miles away..

2. prindle on side of tranny fails while pulling 8000 lb trailer causing tranny to go into limp home mode...as an aside, if you run the truck up to 55mph while in limp home mode and shut the truck off and then turn it back on, it will default to 5th gear instead of 3rd. much better when making the long trip to the dealership for repairs.

3. transmission will drop out of gear and then jump back in unexpectedly. bad when sitting at a light on a fairly steep hill. let off the brake to go on green and find the truck moving backwards toward the unsuspecting camry behind you.

4. grade braking only works occasionally and when it does it drops from 5th to 3rd (no load) at around 55 mph. started wearing the seatbelt cause of this one...thank god it hasnt happened on an icy road.

5. cascade electrical system shutdown is leaving a relay open somewhere in the truck on occasion. every couple of weeks i will go out to start the truck in the morning and it will be completely dead...no rhyme or reason...dealership charged $26 cause i took it in for this and other probs and they did a parasytic draw and said all was fine...I b!&%$ed, paid the bill and went out to get in my truck and it was dead! got video of the tech b!%^&&n about that one as he jump started the truck that had been in their posession for the last 6 days.

6. about 75% of the time the battery goes dead and has to be jumped, the tranny wont go into gear afterward. the last time this happened i let the truck set and charge for 15 min and then had to turn the truck off and on 22 times (over a 45 min period)before the allison would decide to go anywhere...this is the problem that has broken the camels back for me...cant wait for a new piece of machinery to decide when IT will and when it wont work.

7. the $1600 set of rims and tires (265 Wrangler MT with american racing polished alum rims)i bought for the truck are sitting in my shop because gm cant (or wont) allow the computer mods for oversize tires. every truck i buy gets one size bigger tire so that the speedo reads correctly (reads 3mph slow at 60 with factory tires using gps and radar) and the tires from the factory are alway a road tire and about worthless in the mud. I figure if i dont change the tire size then i get screwed out of several thousand miles of warranty at 100k. i was VERY unhappy when the service dept showed me the tech bulletin on tire sizes and warranty repairs. at least when the initial tranny problems popped up they were decent enough to let me know that i should put the factory tires on the next time i took it to them so the warranty would cover the problem...the fact is the truck gained 2 mpg by going back to the 245s.

8. i went through a ditch and the tailgate popped along with the latch on the $700 bed cover...my foreman was parked right next to me in the ditch and the ford box was not twisted. my box twisted so bad it tore apart my bedcover latch!

9. the manual door latch (drivers side) has been replaced 6 times...it is a great conversation piece when someone asks how i like my truck to show them how it will pop out of the door into your lap when you hit the unlock button.

10. the license plate light fell out

11. lopey idle-had all updates

12. wont stay in 5th pulling anything up a minor grade when even the slightest pedal is applied! then wont go back into 5th going down the other side of the hill. not an unloaded 1600# trailer or a 10000# trailer.

13. etc., etc., etc.,

as for the dealership, they have been good to deal with and despite their inability to fix these things, it is not their fault...they didnt build it. gm customer care has been pleasant but the admit they really cant do anything...just listen to me complain and then say they are sorry for the problems-they didnt build it either. the zone rep has been fair so far but just started the process. cant b!^&h at her too much cause she didnt built it either.

probably sorry you asked...

bryantch

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]</p>

conradv
10-24-2002, 22:25
Yikes.

I guess I'm just too positive minded. There are plenty of things that go wrong every day with all three of the "Big Three" (what a joke, there are no true every-man's vehicle makers anymore, just profit taking CEO's).

But here on the internet you hear the extreme good sometimes, but the extreme bad all of the time. Where else do we go when something is wrong? To the Dealer? Give me a break.

I think that a lot of these problems are blown out of proportion, especially with the "not-quite-heavy-duty" GM HD trucks. I knew that I wasn't buying a clunking Ford 350 when I bought my 2003 GMC 2500HD. I knew that I may have some problems with "light bulbs falling out"... LOL I knew exactly what I was buying - a very good well built pickup (as compared with all the rest).

What can you buy anymore that will last like my early 60's GMC trucks? Grave plots. Not new trucks. You just have to accept what ya got, I guess.

But I know that even the lowly 2003 2500HD general motors truck will last me quite some time... smile.gif

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: conradv ]</p>

bryantch
10-24-2002, 22:37
conradv,

i can assure you that if the only problems i had were the light falling out and the door lock cover popping out (actually i do find that one amusing), the dealership would have never even heard from me. the point is that i dont have time to take the truck to them much less transfer files, computers, tools, etc. out my vehicle into a geo prism loaner while they attempt to fix the truck. i keep making them try to fix the door lock because it is there for other major stuff. piddly stuff is expected (should have just hot glued that lock in a long time ago) but i figure they may as well try and fix the little stuff as long as i had to make the trip there for other more serious issues.

mackey_62
10-25-2002, 06:31
Happy to come here this AM and not find a lynch mob waiting.

I think everyone agrees the HD is a little less H than the F***. For most of the truck buying market that is just fine. Lots of people are more than willing to give up the H for some comfort.
It honestly surprises me though, how comfortable "truck" owners want to be. Climate Control, DVD, Onstar, heated leather etc...
What could possibly be next?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the "thin box steel" issue. When I heard that, I just couldn't believe it. So, I have to give up my 1 week old truck to the stealer (and get a Geo in it's place) so he can "brace" my "truck" box just so I can use my "truck" like a "truck". What the frig? Who is the moron that decided they could "improve" my truck by making the box of all things less useful for trucklike purposes? Probably the same pencil-pushin, bean-counter who thought a DVD player would come in handy for those trips to Lowes to "pick-up" some lumber or sheet rock.

Overall though, I am happy with mine. The other brands have their own issues too. Maybe we'll just have to accept the fact that the days of trucks "built like a rock" are gone :confused:

New slogan: "built like a mobile entertainment center with plenty of power" :D :D

SaltH2OFisherman
10-25-2002, 08:12
All this

hoot
10-25-2002, 09:27
No doubt these GM HD's do an excellent job carrying a load or hauling.

No doubt they are comfortable and have really nice options.

I love this crew cab space and the interior. I remember when I first saw the new interior of the 99 model I wasn't very enthused. Now that I own one I think they are real nice.

The performance is downright amazing with excellent mpg to boot.

For me, dependability is there. Servicability is easy. I've only had mine in for service once and had a first class experience.

For those looking for all or some of the above, these trucks are the great.

They were not designed for heavy offroad use.

bryantch
10-25-2002, 15:34
well here is an update...the chevy rep ok'd a new gmc in lieu of the chevy (gmc dealer even located a truck that fits the bill). still no outright buyback, but at least the gmc front end doesnt make me hurl...actually i kind of like it.

due to the fact that financially it doesnt make sense to turn around and trade the gmc in on another brand i will be a dmax owner for the forseeable future...my fingers are crossed that the new truck has substantially less problems than the old one.

now the headache of transfering all of the equipment from one truck to another!

anyhow, thanks to all those jumped into the fray on both sides of this topic...even the F, C, D, bantering beats watching sniper coverage!

mackin
10-25-2002, 16:31
bryantch

Glad to here it !!!!!!

I hope you have the best of luck with your new GMC !!!!!!

MAC smile.gif :cool:

wangotango
10-25-2002, 20:56
bryantch--

Thanks for the response.

Glad to see something coming of it of a positive nature. Sounds like you got a bad one alright.

I am in the service side of my industry. I am glad to hear that most of the people you dealt with were pretty decent. When I approach the area that I service I want to make all the customers happy. I work for a multi-national corporation that sees things differently from time to time. From their standpoint (like GM) if you make a product or provide a service and are dealing with 100,000 units and you have 1,000 unsatisfied customers...you still have 90% in the "satisfied" category.

Overall not too bad in that view.

Good luck to you and your new rig.

w/t

JB6600
10-27-2002, 06:14
Bryantch,
In defense of the UAW workers that you deem lazy.They put together what the GM engineers design and If you feel they are lazy,I would like to see you assemble 700-800 trucks a day.Then you would see what a days work really is........UAW and proud!!!JB. :D

It has been said so many times"You can tear the eye out of a sledgehammer"..........JB.

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: JB6600 ]</p>

imported_
10-27-2002, 08:48
Congratulations on your new truck. I personally find the new GMC's appear overly outdated/retro and blase'like they are stretching the old design a little too far to get one more year out of it. Hey, but it's a duramax/allsion, so who cares!

bryantch
10-27-2002, 09:33
not that i want to get into a debate about the relative merits of union vs non-union because my comment was made in jest...

i have deleted all comments regarding union workers because this is simply not the correct forum to discuss this issue. my apologies for getting off track...

ian

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]</p>

JB6600
10-27-2002, 10:17
I worked non-union for many years.You seem to brag about alot of crap in your bio,i.e. fastest,best,yada,yada,yada.Didn't see you brag about your occupation that is so rough........What is it that a union man couldn't do?..........Give me a break!

[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: JB6600 ]</p>

Kirkes
10-27-2002, 11:22
You know I was realy enjoying this segment untill the union bashing started.

I'm a union bricklayer out of local #3 CA.
Been one for 28 Yrs.I can't think of anything I would rather be.
It fills good to put in a good days work for a good days pay.
I can't figure out wy anybody would want to be non union in the first place or the last place.
So lets keep the union bashing out of the D/P forum and get back to what the forum is all about. And thats taking about these great trucks that we are all lucky enough to own.
Love my truck,Plenty HD enough for me.As you noticed from the trade I'm in we haul a lot of weight and equipment wiyh no trouble at all I also pull my 12K 5er with out a hickup.
There is one thing that needs fixed one of my rear seat belt buckles won't hock oh!!!!!!!!!!!

big dipper
10-27-2002, 11:27
bryan,
Send me a plane ticket and pay my expenses
I AIN'T SCARED!!

I would love to use a nail gun or carry 2x's or whatever it is you do. I am sure it would beat jumping in and out of a mini-van 400 times a day. As for more work by first break, I start PROMPTLY at 6:00am and can't sit down til the line stops. Not going to get into a ****ing match here or make this personal, but the next time you want to rant, maybe you should stop and think about what it is you are really trying to say. I make my job look easy , as I am sure you do. There is no one better at a job than the man who does it everyday.

The offer is extended in your direction also. Anytime you are in Maryland or want to make the trip, stop in and do my job. Although 1 day is nothing. Do it for a weak so we can see the kind of toll it takes on your body!

George Alexander
UAW Local 239 AND PROUD!

stutzismydog
10-27-2002, 23:54
[ 10-27-2002: Message edited by: stutzismydog ]</p>

More Power
10-28-2002, 11:12
bryantch,

Sounds like you had a series of problems, but none of them remove "all" 2500HD/3500 trucks from the "HD" category.

I would suggest you drive your new truck for enough miles in an unmodified state to determine the quality and reliability before adding aftermarket parts.

You didn't mention what "Chipped" module you're running, but it could have been the cause of your fuel rail junction block leak, and idle issues. Your 3000-watt inverter and other electrical modifications could be the cause of many of the truck problems you mentioned. Are you running dual alternators with that inverter?

MP

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

bryantch
10-28-2002, 17:02
actually the bullydog was removed before the first time it went into the shop and hasnt been reinstalled since. the fuel block deal happened several months later. the 265 tires were removed after the second visit for tranny related probs at the suggestion of the tech (so he could cover things under warranty). they have never been reinstalled. it didnt seem to make any difference except fuel economy. as for the inverter, it is not plugged in except when in use and never for more that a couple of hours at a time. i have never had a dead battery at any time that would correlate with the use of the power inverter. the only other accessory that has been added that "could" draw power down would be the laptop which draws very few amps and it wasnt in the truck when the truck went dead sitting in the dealer parking lot for 6 hours after the service dept got done working on it(6 days total - 4 working days, 2 days on the weekend). the tech seemed agitated when i walked back in to ask for a jump...said something about the *$*^$^%()*%()! thing was fine this afternoon!

i dont know what the deal is with the truck...just hope and pray the new gmc is fine.

imported_
10-28-2002, 20:33
Check over at the Pickup truck GM board. Chronic wind noise with the GMC's. You might want to reconsider the newer, sleeker, Chevy.

conradv
10-29-2002, 09:17
LOL - "Chronic wind noise" - that's a good one... smile.gif

hoot
10-29-2002, 10:23
Are those "chronic wind noises" associated with a pungent odor?

mackey_62
10-29-2002, 12:07
That's hilarious :D

Sure glad I don't have an '03

conradv
10-29-2002, 12:45
Seriously though, I have a 2003 GMC Crew Cab and have zero wind noise. Is this an extended cab thing?

bryantch
10-29-2002, 18:53
i hope there isnt a wind noise issue...i am getting a crew cab instead of an extended cab this time. the dealer could only find a crew cab that met the same specs as my current truck and i DONT want the wait the 10-12 weeks i have been told it takes to order one...

by the way More Power...how long did you wait to mod your truck. 2k miles? 5k miles? out of warranty?

also regarding your earlier post about "HD" specifics, i was looking through the brochure for both gm and ford and found some interesting specs:

the rear axle capacity of the 1500hd and 2500 regular duty truck is 6000lbs

the rear axle capacity of a 2500hd is only 84lbs more at 6084lbs

a 1500 regular duty 2wd rated GCWR with vortec 6000 and 4.10 rear end is 16000 lbs with an auto tranny.

a 3500hd with vortec 6000, 4.10, and auto trans is also 16000 lbs

front axle capacity on both regular duty and hd 2500series 4x4 models is 4500lbs. 2500hd extended cabs are 4670lbs.

ford sd 250/350 4x4 front axle 5200 lbs
ford sd 250/350srw is 6830 lbs

you asked specific questions and i didnt have any answers at the time (other than my person experience with the two trucks) so i got the brochures to look it up.

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: bryantch ]</p>