PDA

View Full Version : Shell Rimula Premium

SWLA
01-30-2003, 22:53
Question for the oil gurus. Saw this at the local parts store next to Rotella T. I've never heard of it, nor have I seen it mentioned here. Anyone know anything about it? Is it better than Rotella T? Comparing the technical specifications for the website, they seem very comparable to each other. Why have 2 products this similar? Just curious, don't plan to use it.

http://shell-lubricants.com/products/products.php?c=1

By the way, this place wanted $24 for a gallon of Rotella synthetic! :eek:

01-31-2003, 07:54
Rimula is meant for large, high horsepower,four cycle diesels using high sulfur fuels. It is a high TBN (12) and high ash oil with a API rating CD. Not to be used in our DM's. It is more for the marine and stationary engine market.

SWLA
01-31-2003, 10:02

According to Shell's website, they make both a Rimula and a Rimula Premium. The Rimula premium is API CI-4 according to the tech. sheet. I'm guessing its a new product. It has a lower sulfated ash(1.2) than Rotella(1.47) and a lower TBN(10.0 vs 11.5). It also had a lower pour point(-30 vs -24). I don't really know if the differences are that significant. I plan to use Delvac 1 at my next change, so its not something I'm considering using.