PDA

View Full Version : Post OEM Cat Filter

IndigoDually
12-04-2003, 05:52
Has anyone installed a Cat filter post OEM on the A/C compressor? That's what I was contemplating. I was also going to try and get the primer for it too so I could prime the housing and filter better.

What is the general consensus on lift pumps? Are they needed or do they really make a difference?

I was also thinking about a Mega post OEM also.

John

chipper
12-04-2003, 12:05
I mounted mine there about a month ago. I used the Perma Cool head #1794 as it has NPT fittings instead of the special o ring fittings that Cat uses, & you don't need the primer pump as you can prime from the OEM pump. Also the Cat head is taller than the Perma Cool & might not clear the hood. See Lone Eagles site, his is similar to what I did except he went Racor.

Swanny
12-04-2003, 16:17
Chipper;

Any photos of your install ??

IndigoDually
12-04-2003, 16:36
Chipper, The oem will prime the filter even though it is downstream?

Where did You get the Perma Cool head from?

It works fine without a lift pump?

John

OC_DMAX
12-04-2003, 17:09
You can get the PermaCool filter head from Summit Racing (at least that is where I picked mine up from. It cost about $40). I bought one for a different application.

Word of Warning: be careful when using this head in a Post-OEM position. The filter head that I used had a lot of very fine machine shavings in it. You need to really clean it out before using. Other than that, it works fine with the CAT filter as mentioned above.

Modified
12-04-2003, 18:06
Some people claimed mounting a fuel filter on the motor was not a good idea, because of the constant vibration knocking dirt off the filter. It seems this could be an issue, but if this is, why did GM do this with the OEM.
I don't believe Engineers don't know what they're are doing. Many times they are influenced by many things such as cost, lack of room, politics, cost, cost, .......

chipper
12-04-2003, 21:39
Swanee,
Sorry but I am on a web tv for the winter& don't have pic posting capability. Yes you can prime from the OEM pump. You need a bleedvalve on the Perma Cool head. See Lone Eagles site, he is the father of this system & he has lots of pic's, the only difference is he went Racor.

Bulldogger
12-05-2003, 07:43
Indigo, Hoot did his post set-up in the spot of JK's baldwin, which is under the air filter. I also put one in that spot using the Racor set-up. Eliminates any possible problem caused by the engine vibration, and also stops the possible spilling of diesel fuel on the accesory drive belt. I've run four thousand miles no problems and the factory primer handles the priming of both filters easily.By the way does anybody know where Hoot has been lately?? I've only seen him on the Dodge pages recently. Dave :D

flhrciblueice
12-05-2003, 22:49
Originally posted by Bulldogger:
Indigo, Hoot did his post set-up in the spot of JK's baldwin, which is under the air filter. I also put one in that spot using the Racor set-up. Eliminates any possible problem caused by the engine vibration, and also stops the possible spilling of diesel fuel on the accesory drive belt. I've run four thousand miles no problems and the factory primer handles the priming of both filters easily.By the way does anybody know where Hoot has been lately?? I've only seen him on the Dodge pages recently. Dave :D Bulldogger, shoot me an e-mail. My address is in my sig.