PDA

View Full Version : Idiot put gas in 2000 k3500 6.5 Diesel

Mitch-SLC
03-01-2005, 10:28
One of our company work trucks was filled up with Gas recently, which has caused some obvious problems. I don't know all of the specifics, but a shop far from our location did a lot of work to it, Injector pump, injectors, etc. until our Maint manager pulled it from them, as they just kept going and going and going.

As it stands, it runs great above 2000 rpm and horrible from idle up to 2000. The shop said "something on the front of the engine is bent" which leads me to believe a timing componant. I am not that familiar with these engines what could it be?, This trucks lease is up and we are going to sell it, so we obviously would rather not spend a fortune to get it running properly.

2000 Chevrolet K3500 4x4 four door 6.5
Thanks,
Mitch

markrinker
03-01-2005, 11:24
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Will insurance of any kind cover your loss? Just curious, as I am always concerned about my snowplow operators putting gas in one of my diesels.

To date, the only similar loss was straight gas put in a snowblower that needs 50:1 mix. It still runs, but the rings took a hit.

Also where are you located? I may be interested in the truck 'as is'. My email is mark_rinker@hotmail.com.

Dezman125
03-02-2005, 07:41
Hi
Your maintance guy was right to get the truck.Gas in a diesel rarely does any damage.The diesel engin isn't designed to run on gas so if the consentration gets to high the engin wouln't run.
We get 6-10 in our shop a year that have done the same thing.I know of two trucks that were driven for over 20 miles till they quite. Niether trucks suffered any permenent damage,one of them ran for 4 yrs 150k miles till it burnt,was set on fire by theives,without any pumps or injectors changed.
I would question what that shop did.Usally you need to drain the fuel system,change filters,add a lillte 2cycle oil in case some gas is still in the system,add some diesel additive fill up with diesel and drive away.
This has worked on fords,dodge,chev,and some large motorhomes.
Just my .02cent

charliepeterson
03-02-2005, 20:34
I second Yukon 6.2 answer. I see this in our shop once a year though. If the injector pump had a few miles on it it could take it out. Take a look at the engine timing. This other shop may not have timed it correctly. A new pump with new injectors and an aggressive timing number can make the engine sound like it's going to self detonate. This is only the diesel clatter. If you turn the injection timing back to stock numbers (-.25 to -.50 TDC) you should be fine.