PDA

View Full Version : Another "Whats wrong with my Duramax" Question

vetman
12-05-2003, 13:52
Well, I have an '02 D/A, Juice (Level 4) 22,500 miles that has run FLAWLESSLY until last weekend. Was cruising (unloaded)at 75 mph on the Interstate, and needed to slow down for traffic ahead. Kicked off the cruise, and when I got to 50 mph traffic started moving. Stepped on the pedal, nothing. Pressed a little more, then more, then more...finally a little acceleration, but the sound from under the hood was louder than three Cummins diesels added together, and no power! Limped along for half a mile (NO SES) and then back to normal. Drove 300 more miles without a problem. Any thoughts?? Appreciate the help...lots of good advice on this site!

Paintdude
12-05-2003, 16:28
I would guess it is the fuel filter..

SoMnDMAX
12-06-2003, 01:10
What version Juice?

Maxter
12-06-2003, 06:23
Were you stuck at around 2,000 rpm?

Ira Chandler
12-06-2003, 07:12
Similar thing happened to my daughter driving my truck, three times, lost pedal, truck slowed, sat a minute or two was OK. Got SES light. At dealer now, will update Monday... Has a recent fuel filter 10K+ or so... She didn't mention noise.

RichBailey
12-06-2003, 07:34
I have had this same problem happen three times. But only when it is raining. This problem has been reported in the past and the juice is pointed to as the culprit.

jcummins
12-06-2003, 15:31
I have the same problem but only in the rain, and it has to be more than just a drizzle. Aaron at Edge was suppose to get back to me on this....but has not. I suspect they don't have an answer. It IS a juice problem, because I've gotten to the point if I know I have heavy rain to deal with I take the juice off, so I don't become a tracffic hazard.

vetman
12-10-2003, 12:36
Thanks for all the replies... By the way, an important detail I guess I forgot to mention...it was raining LIKE CRAZY!!. I wondered if it might be as simple as moisture collecting in a connection somewhere. I have the V4.6 Juice..maybe I should upgrade??? Or is this an unfixed problem in all versions?

vetman
12-10-2003, 12:41
Since my original posting, this has happened again...still in the RAIN. But, only when I disengage the cruise. When I drive with my foot on the pedal I have no problems.. still on Juice Level 4.

Burner
12-10-2003, 22:22
I use the ... (sp) Die-eletric grease in the connectors and have yet to have a problem. Give it a shot, ya can't hurt it with the stuff.

Burner-------> :D

HoustonDMax
12-11-2003, 05:07
Worked with Edge for well over a year on this. My problems started with one of the the first boxes (not Beta) back in April '02, all the way through 4.73. Identified as related to wiper motor operation in June '02. Went through all the usual "fixes", including di-electric grease, to no avail.

Changing of wiper control motor module (located under cowl), under $50 if you don't pay list, seems to have solved problem once and for all.

Edge is aware of fix, as it was a joint effort. Once we got it fixed, I was able to get ahold of the right technical person at Edge, and get an explanation I could live with. Excessive noise from some wiper modules, generated on ground, confuses the timing circuits. Being an Electrical Engineer, I had asked them to pursue this way before they finally did, as it was what I thought was happening.

Alls well that ends well, though I think it should not have taken well over a year to resolve. Not enough folks having the problem I was, I suppose. They were very pleasent to deal with during this ordeal, I might add.

FYI, they are investigating adding some additional filtration to the time circuits, to prevent having to change the wiper modules on the few trucks that do have the problem.

Good luck!

Flyboy
12-11-2003, 09:19
Some time back, when this was discussed, I suggested putting a capacitor across wiper motor power leads. I never tried it, because I haven't had that problem.

Brandenburg
12-11-2003, 16:16
Is there any guarantee that a replacement wiper motor will be quieter than the original? Also, has anyone tried just grounding the motor differently? :confused:

sdaver
12-11-2003, 19:14
rainex........... :D

Kennedy
12-11-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by Brandenburg:
Also, has anyone tried just grounding the motor differently? :confused: I suggested this many times a while back, but I don't think anyone humored me...

HoustonDMax
12-12-2003, 04:48
I had discussed the wiper motor grounding with JK when I first started having the problem. While working with Edge, I was told additional grounding was not a solution, so I personally did not try additional grounding. Ultimately, they felt changing the wiper control module to a "quiter" one was they answer, because the noise is still being generated, no matter how well your ground is. The circuits involved are extremely sensitive.

No guarantee it will work for anyone else, though it seems to have solved mine. I would hate to be the guy with bad luck that replaces a noisy module with another noisy module, though the odds are low in that happening as evidenced by the problem only being experienced on few trucks to begin with.

Get past Edge's marketing/sales folks and talk to the technical folks. They are aware of the solution.

jcummins
12-12-2003, 05:00
HoustonDMax I emailed Aaron some of this thread, since he is the person I've dealt with the most. However, last two emails...no answer. Who have you been dealing with?

I'm just west of Tomball, so you are very close to my location. Where did you get your replacement module?

SDaver...rainx? You BET. In fact, the faster you go the better it blows off. Actually works pretty well.

letsgo
12-12-2003, 09:12
Along with spikes being generated from DC drives and motores you also get EMR electro magnetic radiation on wiring depending on frequency and harmonics, that can affect or induce spikes into hard wire circuits and into electronic components transistors that are not properly shielded.

examples are hold a 2 way radio next to a fire alarm panel and click the talk button (bells can start ringing.
Click the radio next to a smoke detector (bells again)
strobe light powered up in a fire alarm system ( induces spikes then alarms)
DC motors can kill computers in buildings by generating spikes (need proper filtering)
I have seen capacitors added to power circuits create tank circuits and blow the circuit it was suppose to protect.
So what I'm saying be careful let the manufacturer make the corrective recommendation.

good luck

[ 12-12-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: letsgo ]

thechevyhdman
12-13-2003, 17:32
I been through this too, I thought it might have been the WWipers too, It is not. I havent tried changing the motor grounds. I talked to Juice and they sent me a non timing version.
This whole problem has something to do with timing, I dont know how, why, where, All I know is when it happens, its really damp or raining outside.
Ive had this problem since May of 02'. Versions dont matter, It happened with 3.0, 3.5,4.6, 4.61,. I havent had a timing box to test it out to see if it still happens. But It has got to be some sensor affected by rain(I guess) Maybe MAP or MAF? Juice was supposed to send me a box with its own ground, Never heard or seen from Bryce since.
If it becomes a major issue, They will send you s Non Timing Box.
This is the best company I have dealt with ever, They sent me 4 different boxes one time trying to narrow down this issue.
Bill

HoustonDMax
12-15-2003, 04:50
jcummins, you got an e-mail or phone number where I can pass along all the details offline? I will check again around lunch to see if you have posted, so you can remove the personal information. I can go back and dig up all the pertinent information tonight at home.

thechevyhandyman, the replacement wiper module has worked to date. Nothing to that point had worked (other than the non-timing box), and I had been fighting it since April '02. IIRC, you and I exchanged a few e-mails offline during the process. I agree, Edge is good to work with, though it took an awful long time to work out the final solution. The did take care of me, though!

jcummins
12-15-2003, 05:42
[ 12-15-2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: jcummins ]

HoustonDMax
12-15-2003, 10:30
jcummins, I got it.