PDA

View Full Version : rear axle

IJ
02-29-2004, 02:57
My cucv pickup has devoloped a klunk now and then when turning at full lock.Also sometimes when going round a slight curve and the truck changes up it appears to pitch the truck to one side.Is this something to do with the locker?.Do these axles need a speacal oil?.Is an axle rebuild something an average home mechanic can tackle.Most of my driving is done towing one and a half ton JCB mini diggers about.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ivan Jones.

waorth
02-29-2004, 04:05
Hi Ivan,

IMHO these 2 Tractech web sites (site 1 (http://4x4icon.com/offroad/detroit/detroit_noslip.htm) & site 2 (http://www.tractech.com/TechTips.htm)) were very helpful according the no spin/detroit locker in the 14bollt full floater axles of the mil pickups.

For lubrication you should use 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil.

Walter

C.K. Piquup
02-29-2004, 05:39
You say it clunks when turning at full lock.Where is the clunk,front or rear?Is it just a single clunk?How long have you been driving this truck,or how many miles(kilometers)have you put on this vehicle?One more thing.Are you drifting or on the throttle?

IJ
02-29-2004, 05:45
Hi Walter
Thanks for such a quick response.
I've had a quick browse through those sites,and site 2 say's "A metalic snapping sound may occastionally be heard when turning". That sounds like the one I've got.
Still It's a loud snap, Does'nt sound very healty to me.

Ivan

IJ
02-29-2004, 06:14
Hi C.K. Piquup
The klunk is on the rear.I've put about 6K miles on the truck in the last 12 month, it's got 98000k on it now.
when I back up on full lock ,say to the left, then when I put right lock on and start to move forward thats when it happens.

ivan

britannic
02-29-2004, 06:44
Sounds like the detroit locker engaging/disengaging. However, to be absolutely sure, download the military manuals and work through the diff and axle troubleshooting to make sure it's alright back there. I had a loud clunk when reverse was selected and eventually traced it to a loose pinion nut that the stealership hadn't tightened to spec.

[ 02-29-2004, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: britannic ]

C.K. Piquup
02-29-2004, 18:55
Sounds like carrier bearing play would be my first guess.I say this because it occurs when changing direction forward to reverse and left to right at the same time.This action w/locker will show lateral play/shifting.It could be the diff.assembly shifting which could also transfer to pinion.If you do have the manual,run down the trouble-shooting as Britannic said.Otherwise,pull cover and inspect.If nothing obvious,pull shafts and check for play(inspect axle splines).Check diff.for play in carrier.Also look for play in pinion.

IJ
03-01-2004, 11:02
Thank's for the advice.
Looks like another weekend on my back under the truck. I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again.
Ivan

C.K. Piquup
03-02-2004, 04:32
After re-reading my suggestion,I want to clarify.When I say pull cover/inspect I mean focus on the locker/diff assmy/spiders 1st before moving on to axle/housing components.Something is shifting(more than it`s meant to)when torque switches direction. Good Luck

IJ
03-10-2004, 11:23
I pulled the cover on sunday and I can not see anything wrong, nothing loose ,slack or brocken.
The only thing was, it was low on oil.The filler bung square was rounded so checking diff oil had been neglected. Took me a good hour to get the thing out with a bit of heat and some grips. Welded a bolt head on it to make it easier in future.
I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks and hope some new oil filled to the correct level sorts it.

Ivan