PDA

View Full Version : goodbye after 24 months and 55k miles on 01 dmax

matt-max
10-26-2002, 15:05
with the current topics of problems that some individuals are having with their trucks, i thought it would be helpful to provide the experiences gained by owning one of the first duramaxes off the assembly line.

i ordered a green 2500hd ext cab sb 4x4 slt with neutral leather buckets dmax/at and all the other options back in june of 2000 and took delivery october 27 of 2000. msrp was $42k. this truck replaced a 99 2500 similarly equipped except for the 6.0 gas motor and cost $34k msrp.

as the owner of one of the very first dmaxes, i knew that i was taking a risk by being an early adopter. but i also knew the high-revving low torque 6.0 and puny 26gal fuel tank and range were not going to cut it any more. the extra grunt and range of the diesel combined with the necessary manueverability of the short bed ext cab were worth the price premium, i figured.

my hesitations were few, but strong. as a 6.5td chassis-cab owner, i could not see driving a diesel on a date or to drive-throughs because of the noise or deal with the smelly messy fuel pumps on my daily driver. and even though i had had no problems with my 6.5td, this site offered plenty of other owners who had....and what proof was there that this new dmax would be any better?

after 2 years and nearly 55k miles, all i can say is WOW. this truck still amazes me in what it is capable of. it offers comfort and luxury that would not have been foreseen in a pickup 4 years ago, yet whether it be towing a 4k enclosed trailer or a 12k equipment trailer the performance is mind-blowing. hills, cross-winds, rough roads are handled with comfort and ease.

the grade-braking feature on the allison is worth the extra $ based on the trailer and truck brake system wear saved and the additional comfort and confidence hauling heavy loads down steep grades.
the brakes are fantastic in feel and strength and do not appear to have worn much at all.

this truck is apparently put together better than my 99 2500, which was a big step up from my 96. at the same number of miles it has no creaks, groans, squeaks, thunks or other annoying noises, whereas my 99 was really starting to talk to me and loosen up. just the (fairly) quiet hum and whine of the turbodiesel, made a bit more noticeable by the kennedy 4" exhaust and k&n intake kit. (i can't believe it, a diesel truck that was too quiet for even me!)

anyone who longs for the good old days of the 73-90 style boxy look trucks or the 90-00 2500/3500's just hasn't spent enough time in one of the new ones to appreciate the huge difference in comfort, strength, handling, braking, comfort, acceleration, quietness, lack of required repair and maintenance, comfort, safety.....etc.

the very first thing i did with this truck is get it stuck. frankly it sucks in soft muddy situations that the 99 and 96 2500s and 85 and 87 f250s before it could handle. it just sinks right into the frame rails every time. i guess if you really want to go through the mud you'll need to pick a different $40k truck or get real and get a jeep or a beater instead. that said, the way this truck handles two-tracks, gravel roads and beat up paved roads puts any solid-axle truck as well as my earlier IFS trucks to shame.

since new this truck has been my mobile office, road-tripper, errand-runner, grocery-getter, race-bike hauler, weekend and date driver and work vehicle. it has done all these things exceptionally well with almost no problems.

this truck has provided a worst tank of 13.6 mpg while towing, a figure that my 99 6.0 would struggle to better empty. in daily around town driving i have been getting a consistent 17 mpg. and on the highway traveling 75+ mph i have been getting almost 20 mpg. traveling 65 mph with a light foot i have no doubts that 21 or mpg is attainable. too bad i can't get myself to drive that slow!

problem #1: a part on the fuel rail was apparently overtorqued or cross-threaded from the factory and was forced out by the high fuel pressure. this resulted in a major fuel leak in the engine bay at 19,655 miles in july of 2001. a tow-in and 4 day wait for back-ordered parts were annoying, but apparently not all that uncommon until the factory began hand-tightening threads on this part (if my memory is correct). chalk one problem up for being the first guy on the block.

problem #2: fuel gauge swinging from empty to full requires new dashboard module at 24k miles in october of 2001. at the same time the updated transmission programming was done and made a big difference in driveability.

in february of 2002 i added the kennedy 4" exhaust, van aaken power box and k&n intake kit. for $1650 i added MORE POWER that gave my already suprisingly quick and strong truck a new identity....super truck! suddenly the doors and paint on any poser rice-racer were safe from being sucked off as i blasted by or left them sitting at traffic lights. THANKS JOHN!!

problem #3: sometime in the early spring the transmission decided to go into limp mode and gave me only third gear. i was just out of warranty and called a friend that is a field engineer for allison specializing in the 1000 tranny. i told him what it was doing and he came by with a replacement neutral backup switchboard thingy that took him about 45 minutes to install in my garage without a lift or jack. he left me with a new filter and declined payment for which i must say THANKS ROB!!!

in april of 2002, i could no longer take the punishment from the rear shocks and ordered a set of 4 bilsteins. huge difference as both of the rear stockers were shot from hauling.

as MORE POWER is good, even MORE, MORE POWER is better so in may of 2002 i purchased an edge juice box that really filled in the bottom end and mid-range power that the van aaken box left open as well as providing a bit stronger top end too. instant super duper truck!

problem #4: at 44k miles in july 2002 an intermittent engine stumble and subsequent lopey idle that i previously believed to be related to the van aaken power box caused a trip to the dealer. through research on this site i told my service manager that the problem was the internal fuel pressure regulator valve thingy and that i would need a new high pressure injection pump. three days later he called me back to let me know that the problem was the internal fuel pressure regulator valve thingy and that i would need a new high pressure injection pump. THANKS DIESEL PAGE!!! i had to pay the $100 deductible on this one and was out the use of ther truck for three days to diagnose and then two days a week later when the back-ordered parts came in. again, this appears to be a common problem on the early build date engines only.

now after another 10k problem free miles, my new-every-two policy has provided this truck's evil twin, a nearly identical (except for the obligatory goatee that all evil twins must sport) 2003 model with better seats with individually controlled bun and back warmers, 6-disc bose xm radio sound system, and trip computer. msrp is now $44k.

for those of you have been discussing the cost/benefit of gas vs diesel, check this out...the dmax option adds $5k used to the bottom line according to the yellow nada book, pretty much what it costs as a new option. combine that with the added torque, economy and range and the gas motors come up big losers unless you just can't find diesel nearby, refuse to deal with the fuel smell or can't swing the payments.

with the current rebate offers and a fuel tank certificate and my dealer's less than generous trade in allowance, i am looking at paying $9140 including tax and freight to trade up to a brand new version with more goodies on it. that works out to $380/month and $.17/mile. is it just me, or does anyone else out there think that is almost too good to be true?

sorry for the lengthy post, but those are the facts. obviously i am happy with this product as i am buying it again.

if you've been thinking about buying one, do it. they are even available used now for reasonable money. i am asking $26,500 for mine with 4 brand new shocks, wheels and tires from the 2003 and the stock exhaust and intakes re-installed. and of course the juice is going on the 2003 immediately.

again thanks to all who have posted and volunteered their time and knowledge to make this site a success and such a big help to all of us.

can you imagine what the next few years will bring in advancements?

matt

Dave
10-26-2002, 15:56
I too took the first year gamble. My 2001 is 20.5 months old. It has just over 57,000 trouble free miles for the engine and trans. Cant say the same for the rear axle seals or the crappy goodyear tires. I am hopeing for another 100,000 trouble free miles out of it. I just can't aford to trade up now and I bout a diesel cause I was tired of haveing a 4 year old gas truck with 120,000 plus miles on that no one wanted in trade. I firgue I cn keep the diesel a year maybe two longer and still get a fair resale out of it. Besides I want a higher HP and Torque stock duramax which will be comming soon.

Paintdude
10-26-2002, 16:48
sounds like a good deal to me, Good luck with your new truck.. smile.gif

AbqGeorge
10-26-2002, 17:03
Thanks matt-max,

Nice post. Those less brave folks, like me, that hardly ever buys anything first time it's released really do appreciate it. Thanks to you and others like you, I've now got an extremely well behaved product with some additional enhancements like the OD lockout.

Thanks again,
Geo.

pullinpower
10-27-2002, 16:26
Matt-max it doesnt sound to bad of a deal....

hoot
10-27-2002, 21:48
Thanks Matt. Very well done. thanks for taking the time.

Mine was built in Feb. 2001. Pretty early build. 38,000 miles with no significant problems. Just updates and the drive shaft.

I think GM did a pretty good job for a first year drivetrain.