PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Banks Monster Exhaust

APR2000
07-17-2002, 10:35
The other thread on aftermarket exhausts got derailed into filter arguments. I have a few questions on the Banks exhaust. How long will it last? in comparison to the stock exhaust? Lifetime limited warrant to what limits? Are people buying this from retailers? It looks like the price ranges from $600-$675. Are most tack welding the clamps or just tightening them? Lastly, can any one post a sound file of the Banks at idle and at higher RPMs?

mackin
07-17-2002, 13:49
APR2000,

The other thread on aftermarket exhausts got derailed into filter arguments.........

As usual.........

How long will it last?.........

A long time ,as long as stock or most likely longer.....

Are people buying this from retailers?.....

No,
Only Banks as far as I know.........

It looks like the price ranges from $600-$675.........

Aint cheap Dam'it.........

Are most tack welding the clamps or just tightening them?....

Tightning..........

Lastly, can any one post a sound file of the Banks at idle and at higher RPMs? .......

Seen one,heard one, want one .... Quiet at idle ,in cab noise is mild .........Nice system.......I really LIKED it ...... (NO LI**ER here)

MAC :D

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Big-Popper
07-17-2002, 14:17
I havent seen the banks that cheap? Thats not cheap but the lowest I found it was $7** something. Email me Jason454@prodigy.net with the place that sells it for $600 PLEASE. I dont think they let you post that stuff.

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 14:32
Hi APR2000:

I installed the Banks on my truck just last week...love it! :D ...couldn't see any reason to tack the clamps; they bolted up very securely. But I am thinking about grinding the clamp off the 5 inch tip at some point; that really would look better welded on minus the clamp...

I am not remotely worried about this system crapping out before the truck does...it's tight! Bought direct from Banks, had an outstanding tech sales rep named Mike Siller...top notch company, excellent product (no payola involved in this testimonial, honest! ;) ).

Mackin's right, sounds stock at idle, very tolerable at highway speed...also helped reduce EGT's an average of 100-125 degrees (even on Juice level 4!).

You can't go wrong with this system, period. I even wrote a letter to Banks thanking them for such a well-engineered system; closed the letter saying "so simple to install, even a GIRL can do it!". tongue.gif

CSDMAX
07-17-2002, 14:34
Guys,

Alex Nugget( x4114) @ Banks quoted to me directly $675.00 plus shipping. That is what they are going for.

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 14:42
Big Popper:

Check your e-mail ;)

CSDMAX
07-17-2002, 14:44
Hay Mac,

When are you gonna make up your mind...or hae you....to install an exhaust, Banks, JK, etc.??

I want my exhaust setup yesterday....but first things first.....1) Gauges (which are on order)...now backordered for 3-4 weeks :rolleyes: then 2) 4" Exhaust....and then....

Since my gauges aren't in yet, I want to do some of the preliminary work. i.e. - tap the exhaust manifold, run wire harness, etc. Would a Brass 1/4" NPT plug be adequate to fill the hole temporarily in lieu of a steel 1/4" NPT plug?

mackin
07-17-2002, 14:56
CSDMAX,

This is the deal ....... I got this here extra JUICE box that I'm gonna turn into a BANKS exhaust..... It's Magic...... I have it sold and I'm waiting patiently....... I am, while on vacation, checking into a 5" tailpipe because I think my BIG A$$ DUALLY deserves it ...... I'm not a TIP kinda guy...... All though I hear it is somewhat louder, I don't care, since I heard the system it really isn't that loud, and what happens to them poor suckers behind me, FLY $hit I care ............ My mind is made up, you better believe it ...... After seeing and hearing the BANK'S....... Just what I want.........

MAC :D

On the pre drill and plug......As long as the threads are the same ........ Why not..........

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 15:38
Hey Mackin:

If you find out anything about a 5inch tailpipe, would you let me know? I'm just a wee bit disappointed in the 5 inch tip that came w/the Banks (really short!)

Thanks!

armalite
07-17-2002, 16:37
I never put the 5" tip on my Banks system. The 4" stainless poking out the rear side looks plenty good on its own.

APR2000
07-17-2002, 18:19
There is a website supplier that quotes this exhaust system for $650, plus shipping. Is it possible that they can/will sell cheaper than Banks direct? $25 bucks at this level is chump change. Just interested in hearing whether dudes at Banks quote different prices and some pay lower than this. I'm sold on the product.

DMAXDiva: With all your goodies, you would be the one to come up with posting sound files. Also, a pic of Tug hooked on to a 2000 # bull would be interesting. Sound file of bull's comments attached.

JEBar
07-17-2002, 19:09
Mackin....what are the odds you'll have the exhaust system you've mentioned installed in time for the Cornwall get together? Really would like to hear such a system prior to buying .... haven't been able to locate anyone around here with an after market D'max exhaust :confused:

IHRAracer
07-17-2002, 20:08
Well, just for the info, I have a straight pipe with a 3 1/2 y pipe with dual three inch pipe all the way out. It starts about a foot from where the muffler was. It sounds good to me, really good. With the Juice, Damn if it doesn't blow some black smoke,(I am sorry for all the people that are bothered by my black smoke). Damn I have to listen to all those rice car waking me up.

mackin
07-17-2002, 20:20
JEBar ,

Oh it will be done ....... Box gone or not....... I wanted to do it next week not gonna happen, apparently...... Before our meet, it gotta be....... I want to find the tail pipe too, first...... I have begun the hunt....... Might have to contact the sewer pipe guy,remember him? He's a local...... As far as aluminizing, wouldn't you know it there is a guy near my business that does aluminizing, is in his capabilities to do a 4 to 5 foot bent pipe? I might just have to find out.........I know a chrome plater too, Maybe I'll just do that ........There's a first .... HE HEEEEE
MAC

I would like to piece a system from BANKS, down pipe, intermediate, and the muffler....... See if they will cut me some slack ...... I all ready found out the tip is a $35 dollar deduction if you don't want, I don't want........

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 20:22
APR2000:

Wish I had audio capabilities; that'll be my next toy...maybe this weekend??? I'll let y'all know by post.

Yep, ol' Tug pulls those big Charolais bulls better than any hay-burnin' critter I've ever seen...if I can just keep those saddle horns from snappin' off from the strain!

Drop me an e-mail and I'll fill you in on the Banks pricing: dmaxdiva@yahoo.com

motovet
07-18-2002, 00:25
675$ is what I paid retail(not direct from banks). I had mine welded although the clamps probably would have worked fine. The tip MUST be welded cause the clamp they supply is UUUGGLY! If nobody posts a sound file take our word for it: the sound is perfect!

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

ThePend
07-18-2002, 07:59
I ordered my banks monster exhaust system last week, should be here early next week. In the mean time they sent me a brochure and price list for the exhaust systems. The lowest priced system is $529, but that is for a 02 std cab, long bed with the cat. The highest priced one sits at $695 for the 01-02 ext/crew, long bed no cat. So it seems that the more pipe they have to use, the more expensive it gets. Make sense to me :rolleyes: .

A few have expressed concerns about the 5" tailpipe ext. You could always leave it off and motor down to the nearest home depot and pick up a 3M metal brightening pad (sortta like a green scotch pad), some steel wool or some fine grit sand paper, metal polish and polish the end yourself. Heck, if you really feel ambitious I guess you could do your whole system. I did this on another vehicle I had, it looks great when you take your time and do it right.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: ThePend ]</p>

mackin
07-18-2002, 08:46
Well ,looks like I might be shopping at Jannety's again........ Not bad ,not bad.....Local and in stock ..... WO HOOOOO
Going to go see him first chance I get .......See if he'll drop the $35 of the tip, if he does I guess I'll buy.....I'll probably get stuck with the extra tailpipe,I could panhandle it here I guess,to someone doing a muffler swap and add the 4" tail.....I'm getting the full 5'er out back ....... Diva I'll let you know what the 5'er cost.....
MAC smile.gif
----------------------------------
Thanks TED, if your lurking about,for your quick responce,much appreciated........
---------------------------------
The EMAIL:
Hello Allen,

We do not stock 5" tail pipes but can get them if needed.
I believe I have the 4 to 5" adapter you are looking for.
We have the Banks 4" stainless system in stock for 695.00
We also have the JRE aluminized 4" system for 550.00
5" would have to be aluminized and I believe you would be in the range of

Give me a call.

Thank You
Ted Jannetty
President
Jannetty Racing Enterprises, Inc.
203-753-7223

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-18-2002, 17:48
Mac,

We don't need no stinkin' Banks exhaust! I already posted the website with the coffee can exhaust tip that gives you an extra 50hp!

Just make sure the "R" is in red, that's very impotent. ;)

Regards, Steve

Mike O.
07-18-2002, 20:33
For you Camping World President's Club members. CW is a Banks dealer and your President's Club card entitles you to a 12% discount. They will also install for a reasonable charge.

OR

Call Banks and tell them you are a CW President's Club member and ask if they will sell to you at the same 12% off price. At least one Banks salesman offered this deal to me.

motovet
07-19-2002, 00:29
Mike O, Very good info! A little late for me though. I have been a member for years and didn't even think about checking with them. Are they asking 12% more for the system?

mackey_62
07-25-2002, 05:18
Just spoke with Alex @ Banks last night.
Quoted me $620 delivered.
I'm thinking I should....?
Or should I wait.........?
He told me they occasionally run specials, didn't say when though. BTW price was w/o the rice-burner looking fake 5'er tip.
I got issues with them little *** wannabe race cars with w/ big fatty tips hanging out the back.
Just couldn't handle the embarrasment if some kid with a Honda pushing 100hp asked me where I got the "cool looking tip"
Also got the CW member discount no questions asked.

Carli_max
07-25-2002, 05:37
Mackey_62,

That's about what I paid for mine. Good price, go for it. If you want to hear mine let me know, and we can hook up. You'll have to look past the TIP though!!! :D