PDA

View Full Version : transmission not up shifting

Hillbilly Jim
07-17-2002, 11:34
My Dmax [mfg 11-2000] does not up shift out of third or fourth when I depress the pedal all the way down. It goes to 3000 rpm in both gears then waits about 5 seconds to shift to the next higher gear. Just seems to dog down, no increase in speed.
Have an service appointment next Monday but wanted input before I go to the shop.
Thanks

mackin
07-17-2002, 13:27
Hillbilly Jim.

OH oooooo looks like you did it this time ,,,,,,,, Just kidding, sounds like it is in LIMP mode to me ....... What brought it on? Any towing are race track abuse? What has been stated here (HOOT) is let it sit for awhile 5 mins or so and see if it resets...... Or you can try the fast learn process ,what's it gonna hurt? Good luck and let us know what happens....

MAC

Hillbilly Jim
07-17-2002, 16:11
Mackin-- I did try out a friends 3.6 Juice the other day. Simply awesome. But no towing this month and yes I was and I continue to hotrod, why else the pedal to the metal?
I have tried the fast learning method to no avail. I thought about disconnecting the batteries overnight, but decided to let the dealer reset on the computer. After dealer visit I will update.
Next month a new exhaust from Kennedy and a Juice will go in the D-Max. Got to get it in top shape by then!

MudNurI
07-17-2002, 19:36
Hillbilly and the rest of ya.

1 thing to remember, sometimes limp mode occurs from things that a computer reflash, or fast learn mode can't clear out.

My fuel filter caused mine, once the filter was replaced, I had my power back, no amount of updating, or transmission dropping would have fixed that.

Brandy

Hillbilly Jim
07-21-2002, 16:17
MudNurI you hit the nail on the head. Replaced fuel this am and now runs and shifts fine. Less than 30,000 total miles but 19 months old. Filter had some stringy sludge in the bottom. Bacteria growth? I have been using Biodiesel every other fill up. Bio comes from local distributer and is 20 percent soy oil.

MudNurI
07-21-2002, 17:31
Jim-

I learned the hard way that we're suppose to change our fuel filter's at every 15,000 miles. I think mine had to do with the "special fuel" we ran, so am going to run this filter till we hit 44,000 miles. The first was replaced at 22,000...I'm doing a little research here, trying to figure out if the fuel had anything to do with it. It may have,,,may not have. But in another 10,000 miles, I'll know for sure.

By the way- our 22,000 miles was hit at 6 months old...

glad to hear your truck is back outta limp mode, I know that 5 days was HORRID for me!

Brandy

NutNbutGMC
07-21-2002, 17:46
^...Excellent forum protocal in this thread. Problem stated, suggestions, solution. Good job folks.