PDA

View Full Version : First time plowing with Duramax/ally

Johnny Diesel
12-06-2003, 14:06
We got about 9 or 10 inches of snow and most commercial accounts and all flag down driveways were untouched. My 2002 6.0 Hd plowed real nice and this 2003 Dura/Ally is just AMAZING to plow with. Forget about building up any momentum just drop the blade where you want to start and lay on the throttle a wee bit and the truck sounds like a mild sewing machine just effortlessly yawning at 10 inches of snow. All gauges were very well within low normal operating range even after a 1 hour and 45 minute non stop reverse drive, reverse drive over and over again. The truck sounds better than a big block in reverse and flat out commands respect even from the most pickup truck jaded seen em all hillbilly. The standard juice on level 2 with my Western 7 1/2 proplow and over 1100 lbs of rock salt in the bed made the load completely non existant. The load in the bed made it ride better than my Seville STS-No kidding!. After earning more than a hundred bucks an hour I can have a few brews and a quality cigar in complete vehicular satisfaction. Life is good for Duramax owners. :D :D :D

mackey_62
12-06-2003, 15:55
Know just what you mean :D
Just came in myself, unfortunatley with all the freebies I only make about $100 total each time.
I do occasionlly roll the p-side window down when next to bldgs, what a sweet sound :D
I only wish we got more than 6" of snow, didn't get to give it much of a workout, though I did push last weeks banks just a little bit :D

Johnny Diesel
12-06-2003, 17:14
I really had a chance to try the power out. I won a bid on a huge parking lot(a miracle itself) and this was my first time clearing it. I pushed long straight stacked piles off the paved surface about 2 feet into the crushed stone area along side of the lot. I left proud of knocking out 3 hours work in under 2 hours. Lot owner calls later on and says "Oh No we want the snow stacked at the END of the crushed stone-about 60 feet more snow and BEHIND the piles you made". I felt a little sick and weary at the thought of how to correct this. No easy way out. Finished the Aamco lot I was on and back I went. The truck did the job of breaking through 5 foot stacked snow walls and pushing it an additional 55 feet or so in under an hour. She was happy and wrote the check for 50 dollars more than she was quoted. I got a little sloppy a few times on my drive-reverse shifts and can tell you the Allison gears are so huge and heavy duty when they engage its positive. If you sloppy shift before completely stopped- they don't like this one bit. Point is for an hour I was on a mission and did not once even faintly worry about my equipment. Only after I was done(and paid) did my son comment on how I was like a surgeon with a scalpel on correcting this job. Gotta love that kid!! :D :D :D