PDA

View Full Version : Go pedal for Duramax

IHRAracer
07-17-2002, 18:20
I was just looking at my truck, but what does the accelerator or pedal do. (I know what most accelerator pedals do.) There is a spring to rebound the pedal, and I think about a five prong wire that must control something, is it directly to the motor, computer controled to the transmisson, or just to the brakes. Just curious how the throtle works. How does acceleration occur.

Flyboy
07-17-2002, 18:24
It reads pedal position and send it to the computer. Drive by wire!

IHRAracer
07-17-2002, 19:46
Something to know, drive by wire that is interesting. Still like my DuraMax, but would like more info on how it works.

tmg115
07-17-2002, 20:38
i hate how the pedal is very easy to push. one bump and i push it in. i like them to give a little resistance.

SoCalDMAX
07-17-2002, 21:52
My understanding is that the throttle is comprised of 3 potentiometers which change value as the pedal is depressed, 2 in the same direction, the other is opposite. This gives a double redundant signal which is constantly compared to itself. One of the pots could fail, and you'd stil be able to drive, but the ECM would know the right value and which one failed.

They send a signal called APP (accelerator pedal position) to the ECM which decides what to do based on current engine speed, load, gear, etc. If it can accelerate at the pace you want based on how far you've pressed the pedal, it accelerates. If not, it downshifts via the TCM.

Regards, Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-17-2002, 22:59
I have a question,

I was cleaning my truck today and noticed that the stock floor mat on the drivers front has a cutout for the gas pedal.

I have Husky Liners and they do not have a cutout in them. I was wondering how to check and see if I am getting full pedal travel or not since it's drive by wire.

ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TEST IT???

GMC

DmaxMaverick
07-18-2002, 02:34
GMC-2002-Dmax

Have a GM tech, friend, or whatever, who has a Tech II hook it up. It will tell you what % pedal travel you have applied. At 0 input, it should read 0%, at the floor, it should read 100%. Simple, huh?

Also, if any of the 3 potentiometers is not consistent with the other 2 (within a preset margin), it will activate the SES light and set a code. Cheers

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-20-2002, 15:27
I THINK IT'S WORKING TO FULL THROTTLE, WHEN I PUT THE "JUICE" IN AND SET HER SHE TOOK THE POWER SETINGS I WANTED. I ASSUME THAT IT ONLY WORKS IF YOU GET FULL OUT OF THE GO PEDAL???

OH WELL...... JUST A REASON TO KEEP TRYING OUT THAT PEDAL I GUESS ;)

GMC

Flyboy
07-20-2002, 18:37
Just in case, I cut my Husky mat to be sure. I also heard that where ever the pedal is at startup, the computer sets that as the "0" point, so don't have your foot on the pedal when you start. Is this true?