PDA

View Full Version : EDGE "JUICE" Louder Diesel Clatter

RWSDIESEL
04-13-2002, 23:37
Mackin,
You say you noticed the motor has a little louder diesel clatter, be carefull because that louder diesel clatter on the Duramax is DETONATION from too much timing.
Some of the resulting damage to watch out for:
1) Blown Head Gasket
2) Damage to Pistons, Rings, and Bearings

Have you tried any of the lower settings?
Does the Detonation go away or decrease at these lower settings?

mackin
04-14-2002, 05:39
RWSDIESEL,
May be I wasn't clear enough on what I refer to as Diesel clatter..First of all before I even added the "JUICE" it seemed my truck was in general louder. Just plain louder as in Normal Engine Clatter......Maybe I should have called it The Sweet Sound Of a Diesel...LOL I feel nothing out of the norm.....

Now that I put the "JUICE "on I think it's even louder because I turned the Radio off........LOL

I do appreciate the Heads Up I'll be listening more tentatively for anything new but all is a OK so far.
As far as the pilot injection noise it only did it once and cold just starting out (I've only had it two days haven't been out yet ).... Note when that (PI) shuts off that is the loudest my engine has ever sounded Juice or no Juice......

Of course mine is a 2001 no upgrades so it was a RIPPER right out of the box anyway......LOL :D :D
MAC :D :D

BOOMERHD
04-15-2002, 06:57
Mackin,

I have the same thing going on with cold starts. I think it has to do with temp. readings in the box.

Boomer :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DMax_Doug
04-17-2002, 13:02
Just a silly question about the pilot injection. When towing on a grade, my Dmax will sometimes start making a very loud noise akin to a large fan blowing under the hood - is the the pilot injection disengaging? When I level out, the fan-type noise stops, and it never comes on when not towing under a load.
Thanks,

mackin
04-17-2002, 13:08
Never a silly question....You answered your own question ..Fan type noise.That is what it is....As your temp increase the fan clutch engages to allow for faster cooling..Hope this helps.

madmax7
04-18-2002, 09:06
Just to add to the diesel clatter being louder when the engine is cold.
My understanding is that the Juice does not even come on until the engine is warmed up (another saftey feature) so when cold, it shouldn't affect the engine's performance.

mackin
04-18-2002, 14:14
madmax7

Yes, and no .. There but not at full potential would be my impression so far.....When it warm it's there in gobs full.......

Craig Brown
04-18-2002, 17:27
I need an education. I understood a diesel combustion event to be "detonation" (compression ignition). In a gasser detonation occurs when the F/A mixture ignites from heat (compression), before the spark occurs. If a diesel engine can't take detonation, we have a problem.

Educate me here.

Craig

Forced Induction
04-18-2002, 20:51
Craig, I agree completely. If a diesel doesn't work on detonation, then I need some help also.

J.A.

SoCalDMAX
04-18-2002, 21:50
Hi Guys,

As MAC pointed out, his "clatter" is just normal diesel clatter we hear when the Pilot Injection turns off.

I think the detonation RWSDIESEL is talking about is when combustion occurs before TDC. This is not good and I believe it causes extremely harmful cylinder pressures, far beyond what the engine is designed for.

Even though it is a compression ignition engine, the combustion has to be precisely timed or it can be harmful.

Regards, Steve

RWSDIESEL
04-18-2002, 22:21
Sorry guys the fully understandable terminology should have been Pre-mature detonation.
In the Industry we just say detonation for short if for example the timing is incorrect or Pre-mature.
Pre-mature detonation is a harmfull event that can cause major internal engine damage, and is detonation that happens too soon on a diesel, for example by injecting fuel into the combustion chamber too soon, some refer to this as advancing the timing on a diesel engine too much.
Especially on the Duramax, this pre-mature detonation is more noticable because of its inherant quiet nature.

stolley
04-18-2002, 23:53
My wife HATES pre-mature detonation! :rolleyes:

Alli-max
04-19-2002, 06:18
oh my!!!!!!!!!! Its a Craig Brown Siting!!!!! :D :D

Hope the wife doesnt see that stolley!

ford2chevy
04-19-2002, 08:00
When my truck was newer (less than 5K) the PI turned off on occation when towing. Now with or without the VA Box towing or not towing, I cannot get the PI to turn off, believe my, I tried. Why is this??? :confused: Isn't it true that you have more power when it turns off? I had a full load going up a hill with it floored to redline or till it shifts and it won't turn off. That is with the settings on off, 30 and 70 hp. Does anyone know why?