PDA

View Full Version : whats too loud

IHRAracer
07-17-2002, 20:30
The Duramax sounds to good to me straight pipe or anything. What the heck is wrong with people saying it is too loud or wrong.

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: IHRAracer ]</p>

tmg115
07-17-2002, 20:35
they are the old croud and like it quiet. :D :D

but for me (the young guy) i love it loud. the louder the better :D

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 20:55
Uh, excuse me, "old crowd?"...define OLD!

tmg115, if you like the DMAX loud, why did you put the Banks on yours? A straight-pipe would have fit the bill better for you...MUCH louder than the Banks (I know, 'cuz I've had them both).

Okay, enough ranting....sorry about that :rolleyes:

NutNbutGMC
07-17-2002, 21:03
DMD.. You go Lady.. Old, my A$$ ???? I prefer the quite ride, however, the stereo is always cranked. Heck, I have to put the cell phone on vibrate and hook it to my seatbelt.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 21:13
Yep, NutNButGMC's jammin' on XM...watch out!

afp
07-17-2002, 21:19
Okay. I'll put my cards down. I'm 42 and hate noisy vehicles. Most vehicles out there with the "performance sound" have only the sound and no performance. (This definitely doesn't apply to our DMaxes!) A "real deal" vehicle has a "tight" exhaust sound, not a hollow sound.

Further, I hate driving through the woods during deer and elk season with a noisy rig. Yes, if it is a common sound--like an old CAT working a logging show--then the critters don't care. But a new noisy sound puts them on alert.

In fact, if I get back into drag racing, my car/truck WILL have mufflers. Of course, my last car didn't have mufflers, and I always thought good payback for a noisy party would be to take the car over and do burnouts in their driveway! Talk about loud, load up a straight piped drag motor at 8000 rpm and it does get people's attention.

Blaine

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: afp ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-17-2002, 21:28
What's interesting is that I've read a lot on the Ford diesel site how some of them discount how quiet the Dmax is and say they like a good loud diesel. There are quite a few others over there willing to spend a couple hundred bucks and 2-3 days labor to try to quiet their trucks down.

I like it quiet and powerful. Keeps 'em guessing. ;)

Regards, Steve

HawgGuy
07-17-2002, 22:45
&gt; Uh, excuse me, "old crowd?"...define OLD!

Anybody older than ME!

-bob
(class of '75)

tpitt
07-17-2002, 23:13
Old, who's old?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: (Class of 64)
LOve the sound of my A.T.S. Duals. :D :D tpitt

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: tpitt ]</p>

JEBar
07-18-2002, 04:01
IHRAracer....this old guy (class of 65)and his quiet running truck will most likely be in Wilmington on Sunday (21st)and would like to hear your truck rumble .... any chance on a brief meet? :cool:

mackin
07-18-2002, 05:01
Which class? High school? Cause if so ,I'm a youg'in again .......
WO HOO (80) ,Just a gleam in POPA'S eye........!!!!!!!!!!

MAC tongue.gif

IndigoDually
07-18-2002, 05:50
And here I thought I had to go over to rvnet to feel young again. Class of '87. :D

Raptorrider2001
07-18-2002, 06:01
Got ya all, so far! Class of '58.

colorado2002
07-18-2002, 06:18
I was sitting in my D/A waiting to load some things purchased at an auction about a month ago. One of the workers from the auction drove his Cummins brand truck up, parked across the drive, and as he walked by he said "I noticed that you have a problem with your motor". Since I had only had my truck a couple of months, I asked what the problem was since I hadn't noticed anything wrong. He said "It don't sound like a diesel"!! :D :D :D

This is one of the best things about the D/A. I guess my class of '64 explains this though!!

GMC D-Max
07-18-2002, 06:49
Chalk one up for another young guy (class of '87) who likes 'em quiet. I have quiet a bit of respect for my fellow human beings and don't want a noisy exhaust blowing in their ear any more than I want to hear a booming stereo, fart-box Honda, or an un-muffled Harley (GASP!). Loud=obnoxious=inconsiderate. :eek:

denverdale
07-18-2002, 07:04
Well, I'm 59 and I still like em to get up and go, but I don't want the LOUD exhaust. The reason I bought the Duramax was because it is quiet.

Denverdale

spctr13
07-18-2002, 07:39
For someone who flew "A" model C-130's , noise is all relative , now the less is better . OLD -class of "53" .

Mac

01_Duramax_Dually
07-18-2002, 07:42
Yippeeee!!!...Yahoooooo...

Class of '77 here.....

Santa Cruz, Cal Native...Surfed everyday. Had a '71 Datsun 1200 we cut the roof off of in Auto shop so we could hold our boards. Went to class sometimes with wet suit on.... :D

As for Loud. I Drag Race. I get enough of that. Actually I think some of those $200 friggen 6000KW generators are louder than most the muffled drag cars and those things are ran 24/7....Geeeez I wish they would have some respect.....

Anyway I like the DMAX nice and quiet. I tow long distances...I like to sleep while I drive....

Carry On... :D

Jelisfc
07-18-2002, 07:49
SocalDMAX...Fords need loud exhaust so they can hear the it over the engine rattle!!! I got between a Dodge and Ford in rush hour today. I might as well have been between two 6-71 Detroits.

I do like to hear the turbo spool down between shifts with a manual trans and straight pipe though.

FightinTXag
07-18-2002, 07:54
I'm 23 and I wouldn't have considered the Duramax if it was as loud as a Cummins or P-stroke. I would've stuck with the gas-guzzling, oil-consuming 8.1L I traded in. In my opinion that's a big part of the cost of the option is the smoothness and quietness of the engine. I still think the Duramax is a little louder than my 6.5L was. Bought my truck yesterday and love it so far! It even still fits in the garage with the ball on the receiver. My girlfriend's dad has an ext cab short bed 1500 that won't fit in his garage. Guess they're making them shorter these days.

Kennedy
07-18-2002, 08:02
Well, I'm pretty darn close to GMC-Dmax.

I have a 5" muffler/tail, and will say that it is definitely louder than 4" but I like the look and such and I can still conduct a hands free cell conversation w/o anybody knowing what vehicle I am in.

When I wanna make noise, I jump on the Harley and go set off yuppie car alarms! :eek: Just can't figure why these people need alarms in small towns or when darn near within eyesight of the vehicle :rolleyes: heck, I almost NEVER lock the ignition on my bike...

FightinTXag
07-18-2002, 08:17
I've got an '80 Yamaha 650 Special (vertical twin like the old Triumphs). About the closest thing to a Harley you can get for $900. Actually, it vibrates more than most Harleys. I've added lots of goodies like mikuni roundslide carbs, dual front disks, mac 2-2. I love that bike, but it doesn't look like much and I leave the key in it and nobody bothers it.

conradv
07-18-2002, 08:50
Class of '88 - I love how quiet the Dmax's are - and how they sound when you punch it. Dealer where I test drove a 2002 sheepishly told me that he tried to start it while it was running. My dad went to high school with the guy and I've known him my whole life so I know he wasn't kidding.

Saving my pennies for a 2003 now

volcano4x4
07-18-2002, 09:44
Hell I've got Grandkids older than you all. Try class of 1950. Still towing & going.

IHRAracer
07-18-2002, 10:56
JEBar I will be in Wilmington Sunday, but do not know what time. It depends on how good I do at the IHRA divisional race at Rockingham. Be glad to let ya hear it. Some of my neighbers find it interesting, but there allright

hoot
07-18-2002, 11:30
Class of '76.

Loud and crazy back then. I still like my loud music and straight pipe (on the truck that is) I put the other pipe down a long time ago ;)

DMAXDiva
07-18-2002, 11:48
I cannot believe what I am about to do....admit my age! :eek: (women aren't supposed to do that, right?...isn't there some sort of moral code that prohibits it???)

Drum roll please....class of '78. Back then, I actually thought my old '75 Dodge 4x4 short-wide's 318 sounded cool through 2 inch duals with 8 inch glaspacks and echo tips...oy veh... :rolleyes: ...listened to Rush, Kansas and Boston through a crappy old 8-track, thought I was in heaven...

My how things change...but I still love Led Zep (and let me tell you, it sure sounds better through MB Quarts!)

hoot
07-18-2002, 11:55
:D :D

Has anybody seen the bridge????

Tinbender
07-18-2002, 11:58
"class of 55"

Pushed throttles on R5D's and P2V's. What a model A C-130, some new fangled thing?

SoMnDMAX
07-18-2002, 12:25
Class of '94...

What's wrong with noise??? Absolutely nothing, unless it sounds like s**t or is so freakin loud you can't hear yourself think.... I like a nice throaty roar under accelleration, and a nice rumble when cruising.

Speaking of bikes, nothing sounds as sweet as a six cylinder Honda CBX @ 10,000 RPM.... The wail from the 6:2 Kerker is wonderful.... Especially when blowing the doors (sidecovers?) off you buddie's KZ1000 Kawasaki...

DMAXDiva
07-18-2002, 12:58
Hoot:

Yes, I've seen the bridge! :D :D :D

motovet
07-18-2002, 14:15
Where's that confounded bridge! Class of 82', and I still listen to the above mentioned list among others but I also have become a serious Parrot Head over the years. I for one could handle a louder truck but it also happens to be a family rig, hence the Banks system. Now when I want loud I can get that from my overly excessive sound system in the garage. From cheeseburgers to the necromancer... it's all good!!

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

TXMAX
07-18-2002, 14:27
Class of '75 and still Hoopin an Hoorayin with the best of them! I do have to admit I like the truck a bit on the quiet side but then I have the Harley for the wild side!

tmg115
07-18-2002, 15:27
:D :D :D i have you all beat on age. :D

NickLeinonen
07-18-2002, 17:08
i have straight 4" on my 6.5 tahoe. sometimes it's a wee bit too loud [like when there is a copper with his window down right where my tail pipe exits... :( ]
other than that, yeah.. like the pipes loud, not the loud engine..

oh yeah... highschool class of 2000, college class of 2002 [with high honours!!! 4.472 out of 4.5]

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-18-2002, 17:26
Hey DmaxDiva,

Class of '78 was the best year! Met my (now) wife at the 20 yr reunion!

I don't mind loud, well tuned engines (Nascar, F1) but I like it quiet in the truck, so I can listen to every detail in the music...

Regards, Steve

tmg115
07-18-2002, 18:54
well i guess i will finally post my age.

i am class of 2002. yup i am 18. hehe i think i am the youngest one here. :D

thank God i have a high paying job for this truck of mine. :cool:

Mike O.
07-18-2002, 20:16
Class of '61.

It's absolutely amazing that a group as diverse age-wise as this is so tight! Guess it's the shared experience of the Dmax.

spctr13,
You fly Specter gunships in Nam? I was 8th Tactical Fighter Wing at Ubon, Thailand '67-'68, non-rated though.

spctr13
07-18-2002, 20:26
Mike O

You got it . 71 -72 both yhe "A" and the "E"

Mac

AKDmax
07-18-2002, 20:55
Class of '87 here. Too many years around jet engines, I like it quiet so I can hear the engine and tunes. A Harley is too sweet to be quiet. A good rumble from a classic ('55 or older) can't be beat.

DMAXDiva
07-18-2002, 20:59
SoCalSteve:

Yep, '78's a pretty good vintage, if I do say so myself... ;)

Rebel_Horseman
07-18-2002, 21:10
I was born in '78...does that count? Class of '01. tongue.gif

Reb
:eek:

HawgGuy
07-18-2002, 21:29
Mike O.
&gt;I was 8th Tactical Fighter Wing at Ubon, Thailand '67-'68, non-rated though.

Small world I was in the 8th FW (35th Fighter Squadron - Pantons) at Kunsan AB, Korea '92-'93. Flight Surgeon. F-16s then, you guys were in F-4s right?

AKDmax
&gt;Too many years around jet engines
The ringin' in my ears is about the same frequency as a GE 110.

-bob
'01 D/A CC, SB
Juice, Guages & the rest of the usual stuff
'93 FXLR, 96'' S&S

afp
07-18-2002, 21:38
Spctr 13 and Hawg Guy,

You mean A's were louder than E's? I thought they (meaning you really old guys) just didn't know about earplugs back then. My first ride in a USAF aircraft (81) they gave me wax plugs. When I started pilot training in 83, they had graduated the the EAR foam plugs, like I had used in the plywood mills from 77-83. We still use those, though my current ride is so quiet you only need them when you do a walk around.

BTW, I got to fly in support of JTF-Full Accounting a couple years ago. Staged out of Utahpao (sp?), and we were forced to say in Pattaya. Flew into Tansohnnut (sp?), Vientienne (sp?), Phenom Phen (sp?) and another smaller strip in Laos whose name I forget.

Blaine

mackin
07-18-2002, 22:43
I accrued one of those C130 transport props ........ Or so I was told that is what it was off....Through a guy,business associate, who asked me to store it, then died,unexpectedly,sorry dude.......Crate is bruised but prop is in excellent shape...... It's complete minus the very tip of the nose cone .... Would like to find that piece...... I have all the pitch hardware...... It is a pre turbo prop, that was redone by Hamilton Standards I believe,they gave me info through markings on crate,it originated out of Maryland? I believe.....A guy in Florida offered me $750 site on seen..... I turned it down, got to be worth more ,I would love to mount it in a high bay and spin...... Big 3 blade prop 5' span? Big wide blade.....Been along time since I had it out of the crate.......Everything is packed in that (what do you call it? mono? martin? something) Grease..... Just thought I'd share with you Military gents,that your right I'll bet they made some noise.......

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AKDmax
07-18-2002, 22:53
HawgGuy,
Osan 95-96, 36th FS. Several Assignments before that. Now I work on Hawg's. I love 'em. Like workin on a classic car -- well kinda. Sorry, not a flyer but a 462. You remember those right? Now we're called 2W1's. Yuk!! If your are still in send me an E-mail please, I have ?'s about Dyess

Vincent
07-19-2002, 01:43
Gotta chime in here I suppose (no pun intended). Class of '83...been in the U.S. Air Force since 1984 working the flight line the whole time.

When I get away from work, I like QUIET. Love my DMax for sure, for the lack of noise among other things.

When I want to make some noise, I take the mufflers off and fire up my 1970 650 Triumph Bonneville. A sweeter sounding scoot you've never heard...trust me!

Spectr...I've worked on C-130's all the way from A's, to E's & H's. Tough old bird...I've got a lot of respect for it.

Currently working as a Maintenance Production Superintendent on the F-117A Nighthawk (A.K.A. The Stealth Fighter), been on it for 10 years now.

Jelisfc
07-19-2002, 07:46
We are all on the same great team!!! 17 years Combat Engineer, Army Reserves. Class of '84.

FightinTXag
07-19-2002, 08:17
Hey Vincent, did you see my post earlier in this thread about my Yamaha 650 (Triumph-clone). The Japanese have always been masters of taking someone else's idea and manufacturing it more efficiently (sometimes to better quality) and selling cheaper. The entire Japanese auto industry began by trying to emulate the VW Bug. My bike is basically the same as yours with a little less style, a little less handling, and better electrical systems. I've heard some pretty funny jokes about the Lucas electronics in Brit bikes.

AKDmax
07-20-2002, 00:31
Vincent,
What AFSC?

Vincent
07-20-2002, 00:47
Fightin...yep, I saw your post earlier. In fact that's what prompted me to post about my Triumph ;)

I too have owned a couple of XS 650 Yamahas...one of which I still kick myself for getting rid of. It was the very first one they built, the XS1B, with the drum brake in front and everything. It was the spittin image of my Bonnie that I now own. The scoot was totally original and I sold it for something like $800 or $900 bucks :(

Of course, I was only 16 at the time so who knew?? At least I had the foresight to take a picture or two of it.

I'd like to get another Yamaha and make a street tracker out of it...something like a Kenny Roberts replica ya know?

AKDmax...I'm originally a Fuel Sytem Maintenance Technician AFSC: 2A674 Although I've been in mainly supervisory roles in the last couple of years. Before that though I sure got to see a lot of the world...been all over the place. Looking back in fact, what a ride its been!

Jelisfc...I've never been prouder to serve than nowadays. Even though it's a terrible thing that happened its great to see this great country pull together as one team again... Remember the immortal words "Let's Roll!!"

FightinTXag
07-20-2002, 01:08
I know exactly what you're talking about, Vincent. I was a member of an email list for XS650 owners while in college. It's really amazing how popular these bikes are and how easily it is with the help of the internet to find parts for a 20 or 30+ year old foreign motorcycle.

I met some really knowledgeable folks on that list that taught me a lot. There was a gentleman in College Station, TX (home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies) who had built a beautiful yellow street tracker. His name was Wally Wronka and he called it the Wronka Toy. He helped me balance my carbs since he had a set of mercury sticks after I got my mikuni roundslides on. He had complete custom exhaust and fiberglass panels and seat built and countless other mods. It was really a work of art and I couldn't believe how much lighter it was than my bike.

I was always on the lookout for a hardtail frame. Never found one in my price range, but probably just as well. That's probably something I would've started and never finished. I rode my bike everyday rain or shine to campus.

Vincent
07-20-2002, 02:12
I have my eye on an old abandoned looking XS650 thats sitting out on the base. It probably belongs to an Airman that lost interest or doesn't have the money to get it running. It's got a set of clip on handlebars and a semi-cafe looking seat on it. It also needs paint in a really bad way...looks to me like a perfect street tracker candidate. Now, if I could only convince the wife!!

AKDmax
07-20-2002, 14:15
Vincent,
Do they call that Maint 3 there also? Been there also. Now Pro Super in the Arm shop. I would much rather be turnin a wrench and gettin greasy with the team than deal with all the "problems". Career progression I guess. Worked the 117 back in '91. "What a long strange trip it's been."

afp
07-20-2002, 14:23
Mackin,

C-130s were/are all turboprops, and the props are around 11 feet in diameter. They initially had a three-blade prop, but quickly changed to a 4-blader. The new J-Model has a cosmic looking composite 6-bladed prop, but it can't seem to take the dirt and rocks like the 4-bladers. You are right--it would look cool mounted in a high bay.

Blaine

NutNbutGMC
07-20-2002, 14:59
^...Mount it out in front of the grill, run a shaft through the front, to the crank..... Ahhhh , nevermind. Next: Pics of Mackin's truck with a C130 3-blade turboprop, spooling at a red traffic signal, waiting for the green signal..... :D :D

1BADDMAX
07-20-2002, 15:15
Class of 96.... Just turned 24.
I got a friend with a 76 C-10 Stepside, dual glaspacks and turn downs. 402 big block.. LOUD!!
Sometimes I think I might cut the 55 gallon drum muffler off smile.gif

Dave
07-20-2002, 15:34
Class of 1981. Joined the USN in 81. Spent most my time in engine rooms on tin cans cept one tour on a bird farm. Worked the flight deck there. Electricin for my whole 20 year career. Retired from USN Aug 2001.

Like my truck quiet. Maybe a little noise under hard acceleration. Like my music crisp, clean and loud. I also like the loud exhaust on my vette. When I get my Scarrab it will also be loud! Keep my truck quiet, thats whats so great about it. Can leave it running in the drive through!

mackin
07-20-2002, 20:48
AFP,

"C-130s were/are all turboprops, and the props are around 11 feet in diameter. They initially had a three-blade prop"

Yup that's what it is.......Big wide three blade each about 5' long......Perhaps the guy in MARYLAND? Or maybe it was in CT? Said it was a turbo prop and the have switched, as oppose to it not being one.....It was about 8 years ago I inquired about the prop..... I have had it for ten years it sits atop my office in a crate, haven't thought about it till this topic came up and C-130 was mentioned...... Someday I'll spin that big prop..... With the pitch mechanism it will be an all season model....... ;)

MAC

Vincent
07-20-2002, 23:40
Mackin,
There's nothing quite like standing out on the flight line watching a C-130 reverse the pitch on those huge blades to back the plane into a parking spot. Weird....almost gives you vertigo.

CSDMAX
07-20-2002, 23:53
I like a nice rumble so they know you are coming!
Can't wait to put on that 4" free flowin sound machine! ;)
Oh yeah...Class of 84.

afp
07-21-2002, 10:49
Mackin,

What is confusing is your comment "It is a pre turbo prop," since C-130s are all turbo props, even the first "A" model. You could call the predecessor to the C-130, the C-123, a "pre-turboprop" as it had two reciprocating engines spinning three-bladed props. These may have been the same three-bladed props initially used on the A model C-130, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, it is cool that you have one.

Blaine