PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Without Filter

GreenScape
04-14-2002, 13:55
Will It hurt to do my first oil change (1500miles) without changing the filter.

IndigoDually
04-14-2002, 14:00
Why leave the dirtiest quart of oil in the motor? If I didn't have the time or resources to do both I would change the filter without changing the oil first.

george morrison
04-14-2002, 14:17
Never, ever, change engine oil without changing the filter. The filter will immediately contaminate the new oil, minimizing the benefits of the fresh oil.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

pushpole
04-14-2002, 14:24
Hurt is a relative term. Think about it for a moment, your engine is in the break-in period. What happens during those first few thousand miles? Lots of stuff comes off the engine internals and migrates to the filter. Your filter removes most of the bad stuff until it gets clogged. Once it gets clogged, either the internal bypass valve opens which effectively eliminates the filter or the paper tears due to high differential pressure which also effectively eliminates the filter(when was the last time you saw 75 psig oil pressure in your vehicles). It is extremely cheap insurance to replace the filter each time you change the oil. You will also get very adept at using large freezer bags!

GreenScape
04-14-2002, 14:34
Thanks for the replies. The dealer in town doesn't have any filters and I dont trust the DAP filters. I plan on ordering some from JK but have not gotten enough time to call. It was raining today and I figured that I could change the oil. I had heard that 500 miles was the right time to change it and am just a tad over. Would it just be better to wait until I get a new filter.

mackin
04-14-2002, 15:34
I would most definitely wait........Dealer has no oil filters? Surely there must be another dealer with in 20 miles......What a perfect reason to get out and drive that new DURAMAX around...Man I'd drive 20+ miles out of my way for a tooth pick just to drive my D-MAX.....ENJOY IT ....MAN, ENJOY IT.....You got the best truck built in it's class.......Gets some miles on it, then if you really want it to rip get it JUICED..........
MAC :D :D :D

AKDmax
04-14-2002, 16:19
AC-Direct dot com will 2nd day air them to you.