PDA

View Full Version : Brake Fluid to deal with water in diesel fuel ?

AlanL
12-08-2003, 07:18
I've been a member of the forum for about a year now. Over that time I've seen lots of conversations about water in diesel fuel and what kind of additives to use to deal with it.

I've also seen some conversations that talk about things like using a quart of ATF with a fill up to clean your fuel injectors or even prime your new fuel filter when you change it.

Since it sounds as if almost any oil will burn in a diesel (if added to the fuel in small amounts) I was thinking about the water question the other day. I wondered why not use DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid to deal with water? Its hygroscopic (meaning that it bonds with the water... lots of it) and will burn just fine in something like a waste oil furnace.

So, my question is this... Would DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid (new of course, not what you just drained from your 1929 Packard ;) ) work to deal with water in your tank? If so, why not add some each month as a preventative measure the same way people add some "dry gas" to a car in the winter?

I haven't tried this, nor am I going to until I get some data about whether or not seals and other things will be damaged by the stuff in the brake fluid.

DOT 5, btw is silicone based and is NOT the stuff I'm talking about.

-Al

Paintdude
12-08-2003, 17:20
Brake fluid sure does like water, I do know that much. Very interesting..

Do you know what you get when you mix 1 quarts of brake fluid with 1 quart of water?

1/2 gallon of brake fluid..LOL!!!

heavydutydieselman3
12-08-2003, 18:49
hey guys good stuff. very interesting. love to find out more about it. hddm3

george morrison
12-08-2003, 20:26
Please accompany my reply with the sound of a huge, overwhelming drill sergeant screaming at the top of his lungs "NO, ABSOLUTELY, NO BRAKE FLUID IN OUR FUEL SYSTEMS!!!!!"""
The chemistry of this suggestion sends chills down my spine!! The by-products of such a concoction has blown our test stand to pieces!! No, absolutely not.. I wish I could post the photos of our destroyed beakers resulting from just such a wonderful blend of brake fluid..
It was done BY ACCIDENT(!) not by plan! Use an additive designed, tested and used millions of miles as a diesel fuel additive......
Was this post just entered to get my heart pounding, blood racing?? Mission accomplished........
George Morrison

AlanL
12-09-2003, 05:41
Yes, Sargeant!

Thanks for the words of caution, George. I hope your heart rate is down to a normal level now... or at least down to the level one would get watching the "Victoria Secret Fashion Show" when it was on a few weeks ago. ;)

I'm curious as to what happened to your test equipment and if you know anything about the chemical reasons that this is such a bad mix.

I certainly believe you that its NOT a good thing to do and definitely *won't* do it. It was more something I was thinking about while driving down a long boring road or snowblowing or whatever (I can't remember when, exactly).

-Al

Kennedy
12-09-2003, 06:31
Ever feel how dry/sticky your hands feel after touching brake fluid?

If water gets in there in volume, add an equivalent amount of FPPF Fuel Power and it will disappear.

Using TotalPower on a regular basis helps maintain a clean, dry system, as well as lubricating cleaning etc...

AlanL
12-09-2003, 10:51
Another question about Brake Fluid... George it sounds like you can answer this one, too. No need to get your heart pumping or your blood boiling though...

When at the race track, I always dispose of my brake fluid in the used brake fluid container and any old engine old in the used oil container.

At home I often have 1 gallon jugs of used oil and a few ounces of used brake fluid in a separate container. Is it OK to pour the used BF into the oil before recycling or are the chemicals in the brake fluid bad enough that it causes a safety hazzard?

The local landfill doesn't have BF containers so people who don't frequent the race track (poor *******s :cool: ) must either mix them or just throw the BF in the trash or something.

-Al (Can't wait for spring to come in the North East so racing season can start again)

george morrison
12-09-2003, 15:52
For disposal purposes, brake fluid/used engine oil/drivetrain oils can all be mixed safely..
George

carco
12-09-2003, 17:42
Alan L , we were informed by our used oil furnace mfg, not to mix brake fluid w/ our used oil for the used oil furnace! The BF would not burn and may cause problems, exactly why however I do not remember. bob...

Modified
12-09-2003, 20:33
Thanks for the quick reply George. When I read this yesterday, I immediately thought of you, and was hoping you would see this one soon.
I remembered your reply to a post a couple of months back, about another concoction with ATF in diesel fuel to provide extra lubrication, and your reply about this, (not in Drill Sargent Format), was that this was a very bad idea and do not do it. I searched this forum, but could not find it.
Thanks for reminding us, that the ONLY two things to put in our fuel tanks is good quality fuel, and a good quality emulsifing conditioner.