PDA

View Full Version : chip moderation

bluenote
10-27-2002, 13:19
Although I've been very pleased with the stock power of my '01, I'm interested in a 'little' boost. Are there any good chips/reprogrammers out that possibly only have a single setting, which boosts the Duramax in the ballpark of 50HP and 100 ft-lbs of torque? I'm kinda hoping to find something a little less costly, but that will give me a little more guts when towing and a little more balls when a ricer pulls up next to me at the lights.

car of the week
10-27-2002, 13:29
bluenote--

company called pdq performance will have a product in about a month that will add ~90 horsepower and undiclosed amount of torque. the cool thing about the product is the YOU tune the vehicle to YOUR specs. raise the rev limiter, delete the speed limiter, and many other features like full diagnostics. then if you don't like it, set it back to stock. the absolute best thing about the product was the price--$495 retail. this is from a pdq rep who i spoke with about a week ago, a friend of mine bought the programer for an LS1 camaro, worked splindid. the address is

http://www.pdqperformance.com/home.html

check them out and give them a call, this seems to be what i was waiting for.

Ryan

c5dura
10-27-2002, 16:38
car of the week, are you referring to The Predator?

If so, I'm also keeping an eye on this product, although I suspect that there will be a 'trial' period before it will work as well as, say, Juice. I mean, look how long it has taken Juice to get to the point it is today.

Nevertheless, being able to fine tune your PCM to your own needs can't be understated, especially since you can adjust for larger tires, along with all the other stuff you mentioned.

And I really like the fact that you don't have to plug anything in under the hood that can potentially cause some realibility issues.

Kennedy
10-27-2002, 17:27
The Juice on a lower setting is quite civil. Van Aaken also has a new module on the way, but it will be a while before I'm ready to get behind it.

armalite
10-27-2002, 20:05
Precisely what I am looking for. Something not to radical and not something that has to be permanently plugged in. Although the Juice produces great power, I have had to send it in for 3 updates with a 4th on the way. The Juice still causes my truck to stall and do a funky tach bounce when cruising at a low RPM. 50-60 HP increase, 100-150 TQ increase would be plenty. I have been looking at the programable unit from Pacific Perfromance Engineering (PPE).

matt-max
10-27-2002, 20:11
the van aaken power box or its bd equivalent will do what you ask. there are two settings but you can elect not to mount a switch and just have one if you prefer. the power levels are right where you want them as is the price (pre-owned, anyway). there is one listed in the classifieds on this site and i have one i would sell for about $500 too. they are a good unit that i have experienced no problems with. you may have ruled this out already for some reason, but it remains a good product.

armalite
10-27-2002, 20:16
Thanks Matt,

I am more interested in a programmer rather than something that has to be mounted. I am thinking of off-loading my juice box too.

TBC
10-27-2002, 20:45
Bluenote

Ironically I was thinking about this issue about chips as I was coming home tonight. Great minds think alike HA!!! I too would like to have just a little more power towing that does not affect but perhaps helps fuel economy without costing a bundle and without making a bunch of mods.

There is has some much discussion about changing to larger tires and the recalibration issue and the impact on performance, and especially the info below that comes from the Allison website, that I hestitate to change tire sizes. This says that speedo recal does not change the effect of tire size on trans operation.

If the recal in a chip changes the speedometer calibration is it affecting the TCM also and consequently changing shift points and trans operation. I am not in favor of making a changes that are going to start affecting other things. My trans shifts and performs great and I hate to start screwing with it.

So the question is can the tires be changed to larger tires and is there a performance chip available that can handle that change and provide a bit more power and not affect the overall trans performance or engine performance characterics other than a HP and torque increase that a poor old timer can afford.

Tom

. Speedometer / Tires - Can my speedo be re-calibrated after I install larger tires?
A. Speedometer calibrations are only available for tire sizes offered as original equipment. Please consult your GM dealer about correcting speedometer output when tire size is changed.
NOTE: Changing the calibration to correct speedometer readout does not change the TCM calibration, and thus it does not compensate for the adverse impact on transmission operation.

Q. Speedometer / Tires - What effects will big tires have on transmission operation?
A. The TCM calibration is based on factory tire size and rear axle ratio. Changing either of these parameters will have some adverse impact on transmission operation, including features like grade braking and shift stabilization. For instance, we have noted that when P285 tires are installed that the transmission generally does not shift to 5th range when towing heavy loads.

matt-max
10-27-2002, 23:09
i've been running 265s since about 100 miles. no problems with shifting that i am aware of...but of course i don't have much to go on w/245's either.

of course there are some significant differences in overall height between different brands of tires and even more so comparing a taller tire of the 'same' size that is brand new with full tread and a shorter tire of the 'same' size that is nearly bald.

i know that when i put new michelins on and take off the bald ones i catch my foot on the doorsill going in and feel like i'm free-falling on my way out.

point is, if you're changing to 285's or larger on a 2500 or 255's or larger on a 3500 it will probably make a difference. but i don't really think it is a practical issue with just one size larger tires.

matt

2L MAN
10-27-2002, 23:40
FYI I installed the Superlift Tru-speed recalibrator on my '02 dmax. I run 315/75-R16 tires, (equivalent to 35x12.50-15's). It noticeably affected shift points after recalibrating. You can also toggle between 2 tire sizes you program. It wasn't to bad to install, just a little nerve racking. You do have to cut splice and solder to the vss wires leading to the ecm. I just used a GPS to dial int the Tru-speed box. smile.gif

stretch
10-29-2002, 04:41
[quote]bluenote
Although I've been very pleased with the stock power of my '01, I'm interested in a 'little' boost. Are there any good chips/reprogrammers out that possibly only have a single setting, which boosts the Duramax in the ballpark of 50HP and 100 ft-lbs of torque? I'm kinda hoping to find something a little less costly, but that will give me a little more guts when towing and a little more balls when a ricer pulls up next to me at the lights.[quote]

I understand what you are saying BUT will you be satisfied in the long run. Power is very addictive, once you have a taste for it, you just crave more. I'm guessing that most Juice owners are like me, cruising everyday in level 4 and setting level 2 just for towing. To save a couple bucks and get a reduced amount of power and end up desiring more in the future may not be the best decision for your mental health and your wallet.
[quote]c5dura
And I really like the fact that you don't have to plug anything in under the hood that can potentially cause some realibility issues.[quote]

I think your fears here are unfounded. Sure any connector is a potenial problem, so are the hundreds already in your truck. I think its safe to say that connectors today have come a long way addressing reliability issues.

As for the debate between add-on modules vs. programmers, I feel its just preferance. I like to be able to remove the module whenever I feel like it and transfer it into another truck if I trade it in. Juice has been great with follow up changes and to my knowledge they haven't charged anything for the updates other than the "HOT" version. To me that speaks volumes about what kind of people are at Edge Performance. I'm still running a version 3.5/6 ? (no confirmation) and its been great, I'll send it in for an update eventually but whats my hurry. Programmers I think are little risky, too much room for error, it has to reprogram your computer and save the old information so you can reload it in the event that you have a warrenty claim. I think we all have seen our home PC's do some wierd things and lose information. Maybe I have a phobia but for now I will wait for my warrenty to run out before I make potentially irreversable changes to my ECM/TCM.
smile.gif tongue.gif :D :cool:

hdmax(mike)
10-29-2002, 11:30
As for getting upgrades free(If that is what you want to call it) You shouldn`t have to pay that kind of money to be a beta tester. So having to pay shipping is to much!

I got a juice from a dealer in Ohio, and I had it less then 2 weeks. It is over hyped on this site.

Kennedy
10-29-2002, 11:40
Haven't charged return shiping yet on a Juice being up-DATED. Up-GRADED is another story. Of course if one desires shipment other than 2-3 day service, there is a charge.

RWTD
12-23-2002, 19:29
The Predator for the Duramax will be ready on Jan. 1st. There may be a short time delay due to the holidays though. More information can be found on my site, located below in my signature. I will also have more information for the forums soon!

I'm also now a supporting sponsor/vendor if this fine site!