PDA

View Full Version : To those who've posted about the ticking

afp
07-17-2002, 21:23
Thanks! Especially to the guy who posted the sound file. I was wondering what this random, intermittent noise was that roughly followed engine rpm to 1200-1500 rpm then went away. The sound file is exactly what I'm hearing--I just wish they would have revved the truck as well as letting it idle.

Anyway, this means I don't have to unload the ton of dirt and sod (bound for the dump) and take the truck to the dealership. This is good.

Blaine

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 21:28
Hey afp:

Where did you find that sound file posted? I did a quick search but could'nt find it. I'd sure like to listen to that...yep, mine has the dreaded tick too...

Thanks!

mackin
07-17-2002, 21:53
Here you go ...
=>http://www.csimo.com/junk/duramax_tickticktick_noise3.wav

Mine only does it about 100 or so miles on an oil change then pretty much disappears.

If you search "TICK" you will get more then you will want to know...... This is the only longer most recurring thread then AIR CLEANERS and EXHAUST combined .......

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
07-17-2002, 21:55
Mine also ticks right after an oil change, but stops wthin a few hundred miles. It's definitely oil related.

Regards, Steve

DMAXDiva
07-17-2002, 22:00
Thanks Mackin...

Yup, that's it!

mackin
07-17-2002, 22:01
SoCalDMAX,

Your working .. I'm not, get to bed ....... Your on EST...... I'm waiting for a pack of westerners to arrive,now .........I wish you were closer, I come down and see ya....... Get in your torpedo shoot ,,SIR........

MAC :D

afp
07-17-2002, 22:20
Diva,

I am in the San Antonio area. Is there any DMax clubs or anything like that in south or central Texas?

Blaine

oneton
07-18-2002, 04:50
WOW! I just listened to the audio. I have a tick on my new 02 built in May but it's intermitent, nothing like that.

mackin
07-18-2002, 04:55
I'm waiting for the 03's to hit the streets.......See if something has been addressed......First guy or gal who post I'm jinxing ,with........

"GOT A TICK"........ tongue.gif

MAC :D

pullinpower
07-18-2002, 05:57
Mackin,the 03 I was in uesterday had they tick and only had 16 miles on it. guess they didnt do anything.

DMAXDiva
07-18-2002, 06:41
Hi Blaine:

I don't know of any DMAX clubs around there, or anywhere in Texas for that matter. There are plenty of 4x4 clubs, but that's all I've run across (and frankly, I'm not all that interested in one of those).

I do know that Silver Bullet has organized a DMAX get-together up in the Dallas area in the past, and he's keeping a list of interested parties for any future meetings. Yeah, Dallas is pretty far away from Houston and San Antone both (Texas is a BIG state!), but we do have the option to attend.

mackin
07-18-2002, 09:01
pullinpower ,

Wow no kiding ....... Well then ,I wouldn't sweat the "TIC" cause it is aparent that the GENERAL is fully aware and there explanation of tight bearing tolerances must stand as the cause...... Sounds good to me,as like I said mine "TICS" like a BIG DOG first 100 miles on a oil change after that it's gone ......

MAC smile.gif

mdrag
07-18-2002, 09:11
I know this horse has been beaten past death...and the ticking is supposedly harmless...

FWIW, my truck ticked on the factory oil fill, continued ticking when I changed to Delvac 1300, and STOPPED ticking immediately with Delvac 1.

The ticking returned immediately with a switch back to Delvac 1300, and the most recent oil change two weeks ago to Delvac 1 -&gt; NOT A SINGLE TICK...

I did the Delvac 1300/Delvac 1 back and forth switching on purpose when the ticking stopped with Delvac 1 the first go around...

First change with Delvac 1300/AC PF2232, and all subsequent changes with Baldwin B1441 erl filters...

OEM fill/OEM black Champion fluted-&gt; TICK TICK TICK
Delvac 1300 /AC PF2232 fluted-&gt; TICK TICK TICK
Delvac 1/Baldwin fluted-&gt; NO TICK
Delvac 1300/Baldwin fluted-&gt; TICK TICK TICK
Delvac 1/Baldwin unfluted (new design)-&gt; NO TICK

It would seem, at least for my DMAX, that the ticking is oil related. To be complete, I should try Delvac 1300 with the new design unfluted Baldwin - but I'm not planning to.

I'll entertain other conclusions...Your mileage may vary. :D

hoot
07-18-2002, 11:37
Thanks MIC.

"engine block, main bearing crank pin, bearing insert, and oil film"

I other words, the noise originates from the main bearings.

It follows the original explanation about air bubbles in the oil at the mains.

As long as there is no cavitation induced pitting, this is a non-issue.

If Isuzu says it OK, I'll accept it.

csimo
07-18-2002, 16:46
This information comes from GM who also claims that their gasoline engines deep knocking is "normal". Several have proven significant engine damage. My friend (VIN number available on request) had a 2001 that knocked bad, and finally let go at 35,000 miles. He now has a complete new engine.

GM puts out these statement to protect themselves, not their customers.

Someday someone will find the actual cause of the metallic ping and let us know. I'll bet there's some kind of damage, but I don't know how severe.

Anybody, especially someone knowledgeable in hydraulics, ever think about how much pressure must be placed on oil, or some lubricated component, to get a metallic ping out of it?

george morrison
07-18-2002, 18:12
Mic, a super reply, thank you for taking time to share in such detail. My Duramax has the 'ping' and I inquired via another route, back door, through the Mobil builder engineer who was assigned to the plant. He shared exactly the same information; Mobil was quite concerned in that anytime plain bearings are mentioned and the possibility of cavitation, bubble creation, etc. is discussed, corresponding bearing failure is soon to follow. The compression and following explosion, implosion just sucks bearing surface away and is a very typical cause of bearing failure. A failure mode we see too often. However, teardown after teardown including high mileage, high time engines has not revealed any negative affects of the ping and apparent lubricant involved noise. (note, I did NOT say lubricant *created* or caused or related)
So, from a completely different vantage point, the same explanation..
George Morrison, STLE CLS

hoot
07-18-2002, 21:33
cismo,

I believe that determination originates from Isuzu engineers, not GM engineers so I wouldn't put the two together.