PDA

View Full Version : Gauges

Pointer
07-18-2002, 13:36
I've never added extra gauges before (never had a need) and need advice. What is a must to have. I'm thinking exhaust temp (where is best to put sensor) and turbo temp. Is turbo boost real critical? Thanks in advance.

mackin
07-18-2002, 13:56
Terry,

It would best for you to use the search feature as there is many threads on this matter....... The drill and tap the exhaust manifold ,pre turbo seems to be the favorite round here..... EGT'S are most important but toss a boost guage in just for the I got to have it,unless you plan on some serious mods,then it's a must,but most ,as I have one ...... There is a terrific article in the members area just about the step by step HOW to do it your self ,good article ... Good Luck...

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Pointer
07-18-2002, 17:22
Mackin, Thanks for the reply and sorry for the post here. I havn't posted much for a long time and had not noticed the Accessories forum. Great addition and much info there regarding my question. redface.gif

NutNbutGMC
07-18-2002, 19:31
^...Pointer... where the heck did you learn to spell guages? It is NOT spelled that way in this forum... LMAO.. :D
Spelling Lesson for the month ==&gt; GAUGES x 100 on the chalkboard...

Mack Daddy, looks like tmg is building a machine that will smoke the CT "JOOCE"......

AKDmax
07-18-2002, 19:54
NutNbutGMC,
I believe pointer has it spelled correctly. Mackin should check his post and his sig. Oooops!! :D Does it really matter as long as he gets good info and enjoys the board? Hey! An upgrade for the BB, a spell checker tongue.gif .

NutNbutGMC
07-18-2002, 20:06
^....AKD...He does have it spelled correctly. That was my point (no pun intended). Kudos to the Pointer. Thus the spelling lesson. I just can't take it any more.

As for a spell check.. I (try to when I am not in a hurry) copy and paste my post text into MS Word and allow it to do a spell check for me. Not that I kant spel, I jes kant type woth a darn. :D

Like you say though, it really don't (do not?) matter. In this radiological world that I work in, communication is a sticking point, so I'm a little over-zealous with the words. Not trying to bust (burst) any chops.. just a tidbit of light humor....

IndigoDually
07-18-2002, 20:57
I just did mine last weekend. Followed the instructions in the article. Piece of cake! I spent more time cutting and adjusting them in the overhead console than anything else. I used VDO's because that's what I have in my other truck and I already had an extra boost gauge so all I had to buy was a Pyro($150).

John

CSDMAX
07-18-2002, 21:34
NutNbutGMC,

Can you say....IT'S GRAMMAR LESSON TIME.....
"Like you say though, it really don't (do not?) matter." That would be "it really doesn't (does not) matter."
If we need a spell checker here, then we would need a grammar checker too! :D Hehehehe....

AKDmax
07-18-2002, 23:04
Purty dang tuf crowd here :D

NutNbutGMC
07-19-2002, 04:41
^...LMAO... :D :D .. Everyone, have a great weekend. Time for the road today. 575 down today and 575 back on Sunday. :cool: :cool: Been fun but I'm outta' this thread. :rolleyes:

Gauges was the thread topic... None of mine work, other than the factory installs, in the dash. This one, in partcular, seems to be stuck on 97 MPH. Can't seem to make it get beyond that particular point. What's up with this? :eek: :eek:

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

FightinTXag
07-19-2002, 06:40
Not sure what's up with that, but you need to get out of the hammer lane. That minivan is bearing down on you.

Are there any issues with installing guages and the factory warranties?

hoot
07-19-2002, 07:42
GAUGES ;) is the correct spelling......I think

mackin
07-19-2002, 08:18
All write, when your write, your write........ tongue.gif So I'll spell it correctly........

But that's not the best part . My spell checker tries and correct every time, I press cancel no Friggen way....... I referred to a receipt that I got and it's spelled GUAGE..... Well, just goes to show,"The Diesel Page" ,members know best...... It's GAUGE from here on out .......What a learning center this is .........

MAC :rolleyes:

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Amianthus
07-19-2002, 08:36
Tough crowd is right! :D

As for what GAUGES to get, at a minimum, get a Pyrometer (EGT gauge) and a boost gauge. From there you can do what you want. If you want fuel pressure (can that be done on the Dmax?), or transmission temp, differential temp, and on and on. I run EGT, boost, and fuel pressure (known issue with the ISB LP pumps). For your situation, I would recommend EGT, boost, and tranny temp.