PDA

View Full Version : High Idle

wxmn6
10-26-2002, 20:18
I'm still a newbie with my first new truck. '02 2500HD 6.0L gas. I was surprised that 2500HD and 3500 could have high idle switch. I just never thought that they would have it. What I would like to know is if it is benefit to have high idle on our truck? Why is it a good idea to have one, and what do you use it for? It got me interesting and I would like to hear more about it.

Maverick
10-26-2002, 22:58
The only reason I have it is for faster warm-up on cold mornings, holding heat in the motor while loading and unloading in winter, and running the A/C on hot days while unloading or loading freight as it works better if the rpm's are faster. A/C doesn't work well if idleing. I do plan on installing a PTO at a later date also.

wxmn6
10-27-2002, 20:23
Where can I get the instruction for wiring a high idle switch on my '02 6.0L gas truck? Thanks.

Turbo Al
10-28-2002, 12:31
This topic has been moved to the "Duramax 6600" forum.

mdrag
10-28-2002, 13:01
wxmn6,

The only high idle instructions I've seen are for the Dmax or the 8.1L gasser - I don't know if this is possible or if it will work on the 6.0L gasser :confused:

SoMnDMAX
10-28-2002, 13:25
Just a guess, but since the 6.0L uses a cable operated throttle, I would bet the simple high idle the 8.1 and the 6.6 use will not work. The 8.1 uses a "drive by wire" setup, which uses a servo motor to drive the throttle body.....

wxmn6
10-28-2002, 19:36
:( So are you saying there is no way to install high idle on 6.0L gas at all?

AbqGeorge
10-28-2002, 19:58
wxmn6,

JC Whitney, I'll bet, still sells one of those manual throttle cables. Works like the old manual chokes did. We all put them on our cars for winter time use when I was stationed in Watertown, NY. Brrrr. Actually saw -50F there one time.

wxmn6
10-28-2002, 21:10
Ok - I did a search through JC Whitney and has no luck finding one. Exactly how are manual throttle cable hooked up and how do you control it (turning it on and off) and how do you select the RPM speed at a different setting? I hope that there is a simple setup that is not complicated and still keep the truck looking neat.

[ 10-28-2002: Message edited by: wxmn6 ]</p>

wxmn6
10-29-2002, 20:03
Wait a minute - my truck have cruise control so that mean it must be controlled by computer or something. If I am going uphill the truck increase the acceleration by itself to maintain the set speed and if truck is going faster than the set speed then it decrease the acceleration. So, something must be controlling the throttle cable, then why can't the high idle be hooked up with that system? :confused:

[ 10-29-2002: Message edited by: wxmn6 ]</p>

Kennedy
10-29-2002, 23:25
It is my understanding that drive by wire vehicles ONLY can have the fast idle as any computer controlled, cable throttled vehicle will set codes as the ECM tries to drop the RPM to desired set point but cannot get there...

Joe Pool
10-30-2002, 09:11
wxmn6,

Try going to this sight

www.awdirect.com

and search this item number: ET-100

this might be what you are looking for.

Joe smile.gif

wxmn6
10-31-2002, 20:22
Thanks Joe! This looks like the option for me to go with. A little pricy but I think that in the long run it should be worth it. I think I would be ordering one of this kit. It does not look too hard to install.

wxmn6
12-23-2002, 21:20
I found an even better unit and it is an Electronic Hand Throttle kit made from Off Road Engineering. It took me a quite alot of digging to find something like this through search engine but I found it. I ordered it a few weeks ago and I am yet to install it. It is supposed to be simple to install. Here is the link.

http://www.offroadengineering.com/HandThrottle.htm

I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help me but this is what I recently found and decided to go with.

bryantch
12-23-2002, 21:56
Just curious, but I thought the point of the high idle circuit was to keep a DIESEL engine at a high enough operating temp so that all of the fuel would be consumed during the combustion stroke and not wash down the cylinders causing premature wear and failure. Why would this benefit a gas motor? other than for warm up?

I am also under the impression (please correct me if I am wrong here) that the fuel washdown issue is more prevelant in turbo charged motors with an intercooler due to the drastically reduced intake combustion air temps.

your input please...