PDA

View Full Version : Ford & Dodge vs. Chevy: AC

FrankieRider2
07-14-2004, 07:59
I've been driving my Dad's '01 F350 PowerStroke Diesel on the farm this past week and was wondering.... what is the difference in this truck and my 6.5L TD that allows this Ford to idle constantly and never heat up with the AC on? We also once had a '93 Cummins Dodge that was the same way. Our trucks idle a lot on the farm, especially during the summer months.

My 6.5L TD will idle with the AC on for a long time but it eventually starts heating up after a bit of time. Anyone here have a 6.5L TD that will idle like this and not get hot? If anyone has any secrets, please share them with me. smile.gif

Or is there maybe something wrong with my truck's cooling system that needs to be checked? It has never been as "heat tolerant" as this SD Ford is....not even when I bought it new in 1993.

rjschoolcraft
07-14-2004, 08:18
With the mods I've done, my Suburban can idle all day with the A/C on and actually drop engine coolant temps. It used to heat up when idling with the A/C on.

FrankieRider2
07-14-2004, 11:55
So then... I basically need to look at doing the cooling mod upgrade? My truck is still running the stock cooling system for a 1993 model.

AndyL
07-14-2004, 12:09
My 99 would also idle all day without breaking over the T-stat temp. If your vehicle is cooling fine at highway speeds, start by checking the fan clutch for proper operation.

damork
07-14-2004, 12:14
My answer is the same as ronniejoe. 97 waterpump and thermostat update using stock fan clutch and Duramax fan, works great.

FrankieRider2
07-14-2004, 13:31
Oops... my mistake on my "stock" 1993 cooling system. I forgot; I do have the later model fan clutch and the later GM Duramax fan installed, but no other upgrades.

It seems to run cool enough on the road, but sometimes the temp gauge will fluctuate up and back between 180 or so and the 210 "straight up" position at various times.

I was thinking maybe it needs a new thermostat.... but that would not cause the "heatup during AC mode" I described, would it?

Barry Nave
07-14-2004, 15:17
Cooling Mod's and check that Rad. 93 and years are adding up though I do not know what service has been done over years to your Rad?
The heater in my wife van was not working good and a good back flush was all it needed.
Like a Rad. that won't flow good. ;)

FrankieRider2
07-14-2004, 18:28
Bnave95, the radiator has been removed and flushed twice in the past two years. I was just wondering that since the "heat up" is at engine idle speed.... perhaps it might be a "flow" problem, i.e. water pump, etc.?

Does anyone know someone who has an older mechanical injection 6.5TD that has made the cooling upgrades? I'd like to do it but seems like I remember something about some fabricating on a bracket being necessary or something... and that certainly puts me out of the picture. No Master Mechanic here..... tongue.gif

dieseldummy
07-14-2004, 19:36
I recently rebuilt my motor, so while it was out I added the HO water pump. I haven't had the time to fabricate a throtle bracket so I haven't tried to install the dual thermostats. I have a modified fan clutch with the stock fan. I also had the radiator gone through. A couple days ago I idled through a field picking up bales and it didn't heat up to above 195. I can't attribute it to any single mod. I listed above, but a good combination of all.
Justin

BuffaloGuy
07-16-2004, 06:15
I've got the same year as you. See my specs below. It never gets hot at an idle but with the pump turned up it will get hot pulling. Of course, it would do that new from the factory too if I wasn't careful.

The big thing I noticed about the HO h2o pump and dual thermo's is that when it is getting a little too hot and I take my foot out of it it cools down right away. The added volume moving through the block makes a big difference in my mind. It should also make a big difference in cooling the hot spots on the block. That should equate to longer life.

All in all the updates I did were not only worth it but i feel are neccessary to preserve my investment. The problem is that I'm still dissappointed in the cooling capacity. I have even had the radiator rodded. Oh well, I'll just have to watch the gauges when pulling hard.

It is my humble opinion that the '92 and '93 mechanical injection versions of these trucks are the best. Keep it and make a few mods.

Ken
ps. I just intsalled water injection since I can't bring myself to pay for an intercooler. That has made a big difference.