PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze Odor

kw
12-09-2003, 11:41
Haven't kept up with this page, but a while back I remember someone posting about an antifreeze odor in their cab. I can't find it on the search.

I have 14500 miles and am getting a light antifreeze odor (sweet smell) in my cab when running the heater. No wet carpet and no moisture from the defrosters.

Anyone have any info on this?

AlanL
12-09-2003, 11:50
Sounds like the infamous leaking waterpump problem.

Is your coolant low?

Gbenzx01
12-11-2003, 17:31
KW,

In addition to what Allen has said it can go the other way too. The coolant tank may have been over filled or previous spill.
If you use search you may also find that(dare say it) this is one of the first symptoms of head gasket leakeage. If it is also internal you can detect this from exhaust odor. Hope not.
You may be able to isolate the odor to/from heater core by using the air recirculating function.

Thanx, Gben

[ 12-11-2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Gbenzx01 ]

George Gozelski
12-13-2003, 00:13
Kw, for what it's worth I've experienced the same thing. Come to find out I had a leaky injector cup seal that was "using some coolant". Since that has been dealt with, I haven't noticed any problems.

On a cold day when you first start it up, I sometimes notice that"sweet" coolant odor but I can't find any leaks! The coolant level stays the same too. I only notice this when the engine is cold though, weird!