PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change Procedure

BrentN
11-01-2004, 17:04
Hey all,
Just set a PO 251. (Injector Pump System). The truck was hard starting this morning as well as twice more today for my wife. She also claimed it was surging. It hasnt done it for me, but definately dont doubt her.

I just put fuel in a fuel station that I dont normally use (I generally stick with Chevron). I dont have any reason to believe the fuel was bad, but I feel I probably should check the filter.

Since the advice on the site definately points to having a clean filter and bowl prior to taking this into GM for IP replacement under warranty.

I did a search and I didnt see anything on fuel filter replacement. My truck didnt come with owners manual.

Can anybody give me the down and dirty procedure.

It is possible that I got a slug of dirty fuel and that is setting the 251. There seems to be a partial consensus that this is possible. In any case, I want to be nice and clean b-4 going to Dr. Chevy for free health care smile.gif

Spindrift
11-01-2004, 17:15
Brent,

If you have a fax, I'd be happy to make copies of the pages out of the manual and send them to you that way.

BrentN
11-01-2004, 17:22
Thanks Spindrift,
Here is my number 503-856-8571. I have just switched on my fax off my computer. Thanks in advance.
BRent

Spindrift
11-02-2004, 06:53
I left a message on your vm. Fax didn't go thru.

BrentN
11-02-2004, 07:52
Spindrift,
Thanks for trying. I didnt turn my PC on this morning before leaving for work...so my answering machine picked up.

If you have the time and inclination, my work fax number is 503-722-3065.

Thanks,
Brent

Spindrift
11-02-2004, 08:56
7 pages sent...12:20 PM EST. You should receive pages 6.6 - 6.12

Let me know if you need anything else. From the manual, that is. I'm no Mother Theresa.

[ 11-02-2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Spindrift ]

CareyWeber
11-02-2004, 13:33
Originally posted by BrentN:
Hey all,
Just set a PO 251. (Injector Pump System). The truck was hard starting this morning as well as twice more today for my wife. She also claimed it was surging. It hasnt done it for me, but definately dont doubt her.

I just put fuel in a fuel station that I dont normally use (I generally stick with Chevron). I dont have any reason to believe the fuel was bad, but I feel I probably should check the filter.

Since the advice on the site definately points to having a clean filter and bowl prior to taking this into GM for IP replacement under warranty.

I did a search and I didnt see anything on fuel filter replacement. My truck didnt come with owners manual.

Can anybody give me the down and dirty procedure.

It is possible that I got a slug of dirty fuel and that is setting the 251. There seems to be a partial consensus that this is possible. In any case, I want to be nice and clean b-4 going to Dr. Chevy for free health care smile.gif Brent,

P0251 is for the Optical Sensor.

Click on this link " "FSD Didn't Fix It" (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006367) " to see what happened to me when I got a SES P0251. It might not be your issue, but it shows that you need to check the small stuff first.

Carey

BrentN
12-09-2004, 11:26
This is more of an update on a PO 251 a posted about in early November.

I pulled the fuel filter, and it was very dark colored. I wiped out the bowl. Really wasnt much in there, just a little sediment.

That was nearly a month ago and I have yet to have a repeat of the "no start & SES light coming on" problem.

I think its safe to say the problem was a dirty optical sensor as was indicated earlier in the post.

Thanks to everyone who helped out, thought I would close the loop as to what I had learned.