PDA

View Full Version : Losing "fuel" pedal, engine stops responding

Ira Chandler
12-09-2003, 21:04
My daughter (30 yr old) drove my 2001 truck (see below, 28,000+ miles) on the Interstate, and three times last Thursday (50F degree day), while running 65-80, the pedal became unresponsive, the engine dropped to idle, and she had to pull over. The engine never stopped. A couple of minutes at the side of road, everything was back to normal. SES light was on when she returned the truck.

I had started using the block heater again and generally plug in when I park at night to be ready for the morning. We often get down to 20F here in North Georgia.

I drove the truck to the dealer the next day without any problem, other than it seeming to stick in third at about 2800 RPM till I let off the pedal (wanna say "gas") - once.

They found two codes in history, one "fuel temp" and one "overpressure on turbo." This is basically a stock, well-maintained truck. Fuel filter had about 10K on it, oil was changed 5K ago. The "change oil" message had been coming up because I did the last oil change myself. Nothing else weird. I checked the fuel cooler in front of the tank and it is clean.

I had the fuel filter changed (without inspecting it, as I now read I should be doing), oil & filter changed, and they sent me on my way. Truck is running fine on the way home and around today.

The day was not cold enough for the fuel to have gelled, though it was on a 1/4 tank when this happened. My son was in the truck and saw it happen, so I know she is not TOO crazy...

Any ideas, or has this happened to anyone else???

(sorry for length of post)

SoMnDMAX
12-09-2003, 23:17
Have there been any software updates done to the engine's ECM by the dealer?

Early '01s had some tuning "issues" that resulted in both the fuel temp code and the overboost signal code. Your dealer should be able to fix you up with a quick reflash.

Are you by chance running a power enhancer of any kind?

Kennedy
12-10-2003, 06:37
Back to the air filter post in the Duramax Members forum, sounds like your dealer missed the KEY INGREDIENT of the bulletin- Programming updates...

Block heater false codes is an OLD update as is turbo overboost/MAF codes relating to the 2001 airbox, and airbox mods.

Here's a link:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000215

I also have some inf. under Tech tips on my site.

Ira Chandler
12-10-2003, 12:14
Software has been updated continuously and they say is at current versions already. For instance, I know I got the update that includes the 1500 RPM limit in reverse 4x4... I asked for a printout and did not get it yesterday.

No power enhancement at all.

I have now had a stick in second to third gear happen once each day Fri, Tues and today. My son is now saying that the engine WAS responding to pedal, but it sounded like the tranny slipping...

Thanks, guys...

Kennedy
12-10-2003, 12:18
If you have the fuel temp code after using the block heater, and overboost codes I seriously doubt that the ECM is anywhere near current. They MAY have done the TCM and skipped the ECM...

JRM
12-10-2003, 18:26
yep, overboost code will make the engine shut itself down, I found this out when playing with the wast gate of a old dodge omni:)
also- Do all new D-Max's have this "problem"?
-1500 RPM limit in reverse 4x4-
sounds like a off-roaders nightmear

Kennedy
12-16-2003, 13:00
Ira, I'd seriously sugget having them check the programming for updates...