PDA

View Full Version : How Much Torque Can The Allison Take?

Redhawk
04-15-2002, 14:48
I've seen a lot of posts about chipping the Duramax and it sounds like fun, but what happens to the Allison transmission when all of a sudden it gets 100 lbs or more of torque it wasn't designed to handle? I know it probably can handle moderate overload for awhile, but I'm seeing posts that sound like transmission killers to me. Even the fact that the transission will slip if too much torque is applied, thereby saving the transmission, seems to me to create excessive heat which is the enemy of any auto. Am I missing something here? Is anything being done to these trannys before they are chipped. Just curious.

mackin
04-15-2002, 19:23
The only performance box that has posted and taken it into consideration is the "JUICE"which works within the pyrometers of the Allison......The number that is considered "SAFE" is 250 FT LBS....... I am no expert but, I got the "JUICE" and my truck is real quick, and tranny is acting fine as I can tell by the way it shifts...Haven't had a concern.... One difference you can tell is less downshifting .... It really doesn't matter mod or no mod if you take your truck out every day and beat the crap out of it something is going to break..... If you inhance your truck let's say with the JUICE and you use that extra power wisely. For towing, hill climbing, better acceleration in certain conditions, and only occasionally showing off and getting nuts
I'm positive it will be fine IMHO.....Why would anyone do it ?If not true..... I have not heard of one tranny failure or one broke because of a mod yet......Some limps and ses mostly the earlier boxes and some that run propane.
MAC :D :D

MNBowTie
04-15-2002, 20:01
Mackin,

I like your excitement you remind me of, when I was young and eyeing up all that candy in the store. Mom, said too much of that may seam like now harm now, but someday later you will pay. Ah, come on - mom, just a little more. Now, years later in the dentist chair I lay replaying those scenes in my head. Just thought I would share that you Mackin. However, I wish I had your guts; I'd be Juicen too. BTW Allison has our tranny rated for 540 ft.lbs. But, If temps stay low then life should be good. I also think it would well worth the money to change to synthetic and install the deeper pan.

Breck
04-16-2002, 06:34
Do these "boxes" increase line pressure within the trans? If not, I believe it will be a matter of time before the trans. start to slip, especially towing?

A modified valve body to increase line pressure seems to be in order. I am no (Alli) trans expert so I'm not sure if it will sense an increase and set a code or what ever it does?

On a side note: It seems that there are a lot of GM/Duramax/Allison employees that monitor this board. With that being said; if you have a problem/warranty issue because you have "BOMBED" your truck they might know about it when you take it to the dealer: It happened on the TDR a year or two ago!

MNBowTie
04-16-2002, 11:21
Breck,

There was a post on this site about a month, or so, ago about valve body available to address this issue. Try snooping around in the 600 hp project truck.

Redhawk
04-16-2002, 11:26
Breck has nailed some of my concerns. If I were to bomb my Duramax, I would breathe on the Allison a little, keeping in mind that if problems later arose down the road I would be in charge of my own warranty problems. Magnuson Act or no.

I think that GM, Ford and Dodge monitor these forums, as as Breck has pointed out these corporations can void your warranty if you can be identified. On the Ford forum it worked to the owners advantage, because it created a furor on the forum, many of whom wrote to Ford and the dealer. They finally compromised and said they would fix the problem this one last time, if the offending item was removed and removed forever. What that proves is that they do monitor, and sometimes they do listen. But I wouldn't count on much more than sympathy. I learned from that magilla to be very careful about mentioning what I actually have on my truck. The above problem was an exhaust brake said to contribute to tranny problems, which is probably nonsense, but that was the position they took.

Sorry to rant on so long, but the experience really got to me, and I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just think about what happened to one dude.

I think allusions are ok, and there many ways to let everyone know what you have done to your truck without being definitive.

Charles
04-16-2002, 15:07
Redhawk: I have been following forums for my firebird for over 4 years now and have never heard of someone having their waranty denined because they were "indentified" by GM on an internet site. :rolleyes: I would not worry about it. GM would have a heck of a time figuring out who you are by your screen name, the city you live in, and what you drive. It's not going to happen.

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: Charles ]</p>

mackin
04-16-2002, 15:31
I just thought I would share my philosophy.....On the replies....

My enthusiasm is mine..Some here are interested in performance mods.....Reference the thread subject is just that..... It as always, is your choose to do or not. Not trying to push anyone but.............
It has been written and tested independently (http://www.atsdieselperformance.com/)the Allison will take up to addition 250 Ft #'s of torque without modification. Now with that said............Not with standing.......

I ask what is life with no risks....Would we have gone to the moon........Would one start a business to be self employed......Would one abstract from buying candy because they just might get a tooth ache........ I am one who occasionally likes to push the envelope a little....... If you did inhance your vehicle moderation is the key......I personally not going to spend my every Sat. at the drags....MIND YOU THESE ENHANCEMENTS HAS BEEN DONE FOR HOW MANY YEARS BEFORE THE DURAMAX ?????????? I've ridden in reprogrammed VETTES to CAMAROS to you name it....... As far as Warranty I'll take my chances I guess .... I'm not the type to rollover and QUIT when challenged.....Doesn't take guts, takes brains on how to maintain and use your equipment wisely.......
MAC MY $1.50's worth

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AzKevin
04-16-2002, 18:52
Charles,

Within the last year I've seen it happen on the internet at least once. If I recall correctly, both the TDR and ford diesel sites are allowing users the option to be more anonymous than in the past.

mackin
04-16-2002, 19:40
AzKevin,

For arguments sake only.........I certainly wouldn't recommend this......LOL

I'm anonymous too...............I could be a fat, bald, 90 year old Women......... Or any combination anyone could pick......I could be 12 years old..... I could say I got every possible thing made and on my truck.......I could have PICS ....... It doesn't matter to GM everything is a VIN #. PERIOD, once they get it on a repair order,then it's over, You will not BS them over and over......There not dumb but......Other than that how could they prove I was driving a vehicle with a mod that made my truck break. I could take a pic of lets say a propane setup on my truck. Drove around tranny went, oops. They say HAY I seen you post and your PICS on the DP....I could say so.... Wasn't using it,I don't use it, or guess what I LIED I don't have propane that's my friends truck we switched plates.He moved too. It looks like mine I wanted to fool those guys on that page makes me look cool.....Right?......How then do they prove it? I think this is a he said she said baloney.......Just IMHO.....Look how the cops set up Internet scams to catch lousy pedophiles. They (cops) pose as kids. Right? Get them every time that's Terrific. Look at the guy here that posted that they wouldn't honor his warranty because he had guages, they assumed he had a performance box........ Come on, I'd chew this dealer up,and feed my family with them................
MAC

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

AzKevin
04-16-2002, 20:16
I'm still betting you are John McEnroe the tennis star. :D

Redhawk
04-17-2002, 10:19
Hi mackin, you get the prize. My original question, was "how much torque can the Allison take?". I'm sure, like most things, the Allison has about 10% safety factor built in, but what you are saying it's a lot more than that. 250 ft. lbs. is a very comforting number. Thanks.

Charles, you are right about GM finding out about who Redhawk is, for example, but a lot of people put a lot more than their user name in their messages. I guess what I'm saying is that the manufacturers are getting more and more likely to void warranties for foolish reasons than they used to when we all had spark plugs and distributers as the hi tech items on our trucks. For Ford to try and deny a transmission warranty because of an exhaust brake is just an example of that. The kicker is that the Ford dealer is the one who installed the exhaust brake. While they did cave, I think the warning is implicit, even though they fixed the problem. That being said, I only know what Ford was doing before I had a Duramax that cost a lot more than my Ford.

At least now I know what the real world limit is on an Allison transmission. Thanks all.