PDA

View Full Version : first gear only

KrisHull
12-09-2003, 22:22
I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this. My brother-in-law plugged their 01 D-Max in this morning to help with cold starting. He started it, and then put it into reverse, but it wouldn't move. Then he put it back into park, then back to reverse. This time the SES light came on, and it went into gear. But when he put it into drive, it would stay in first gear only. Has anybody seen this, and what did you find?

dmaxalliTech
12-10-2003, 06:42
how long has it been sitting?

Kennedy
12-10-2003, 12:21
I believe that I have seen a programming update that is supposed to help in how the computer deals with this situation. Anybody else recall this?

A programming change will not help a mechanical issue, BUT if it makes the computer more forgiving, it could be all you need.

KrisHull
12-10-2003, 16:29
Thanks for the info. I don't think that it has been sitting for more then a couple of days. He lives on a farm and the truck gets used often. The computer has been reflashed at a dealership with the trans. updates on it. In fact, I was the one to reflash it because I work at a dealership. I just don't have any experience with the Alison, and I only work there part-time, so I thought that I would ask to see what suggestions all of you had before I looked at the truck. It is about an hour away from me, and they are out of town until Sunday, so it gives me some time to do a little research before I look at it. Thanks again for the info so far.
Kris

77TransAm
12-11-2003, 06:03
Wanna get more familiar with the Allison? smile.gif

If your troubleshooting leads you to look for a priming problem, check out bulletin #03-07-30-011. It covers updating two springs in the front support to aid in priming on initial start-up.

KrisHull
12-17-2003, 19:25
I scanned the truck with a tech II tonight and found a P0847 code for the trans. It says that this code is for solenoid D sticking. This solenoid is on for reverse and first gear. Has anybody else seen this problem? What did you do to fix it?
Thanks,
Kris

dmaxster
12-24-2003, 19:48
we have seen this before on the dmax....usually just slips and doesn't want to shift....if you shut it off and restart...ususally resets itself....the cooler lines drain back. and when you turn the key on...all is set....and when it reads a low line pressure....goes into a low shift mode....shut it off an reset...should be fine. dmaxster :cool: