PDA

View Full Version : Removing Factory 3&1/2" Exhaust?

86gmc
07-19-2002, 10:36
When you remove your factory 3&1/2 inch exhaust to replace with a 4 inch system will the old 3&1/2 come off without cutting or sawing? Just wondering. And can it be done with truck on ground or is a lift a must? Any other tips? Thanks.

ThePend
07-19-2002, 11:15
As soon as my 4" system shows up and I can get it put on, Ill let you know.

DMAXDiva
07-19-2002, 13:54
Hey 86GMC:

Put a Banks Monster system on my truck last week, and no, you don't have to do any cutting, but it sure helps to lop off half of it (say from the muffler back) for ease of removal. A cutting torch works really well for that, but I sure wouldn't do that unless you have it on a lift! Besides, the lift makes life a whole lot easier when you're trying to remove the stocker from the hangers, and bolt up of the new system is a cinch when you are standing underneath (I cannot imagine trying to do it without a lift, but I suppose it can be done).

As I have stated elsewhere regarding the installation of this system,..."it's so easy even a GIRL can do it!" ;)

Hope this helps...

midwestdmax29
07-19-2002, 16:28
DON'T CUT ANYTHING!!!!! Park the truck with the rear wheels on ramps, jack up the rear frame a bit to give some axle to frame clearance, unbolt the rear half from the front, pop out the hanger posts and slide it out towards the front. Unbolt the front vee-clamp and pop it loose and it's off. It's that easy, and the stocker is ready for re-installation if you need it.

86gmc
07-19-2002, 18:41
Thank You midwestdmax29 sounds like I can do the entire exhaust swap in my garage with out a lifting rack. Might want to re install old one some day.

Maverick
07-19-2002, 22:01
Like the other guys said. Just unbolt everything and jack up the back and give yourself some axle-frame clearance. Comes right out. The JK 4" sounds awesome. I was getting better milage with the juice but now its down again because I am hammering it every chance to hear the exhaust. Its real deep and throaty. Sound awesome next to concrete bridge barriers and going under bridges. It will shake the windows in the vehicle next to you. Awesome!!

DMAXDiva
07-20-2002, 08:08
Well, it does make sense to avoid cutting if you are planning to keep the stock system, but I had absolutely no use for it (besides, I didn't have anywhere to store the thing!) ;)

woundedbear
07-20-2002, 09:55
This topic brings up a good point...

I am satisfied with the OEM stock exhaust (I know, I'm boring) and would be happy to cut the cost of an upgraded exhaust for anyone that lives in the Wisonsin area by purchasing their take off parts. Anyone willing to part with one for a reasonable price? I would be happy to pick it up if it were within reasonable distance.

Some day, especially in the midwest "rust belt", my OEM system will fail and need to be replaced. My wife's OEM "stainless" system is in desperate need of replacement on her VW after only 5 years. :eek:

[ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: woundedbear ]</p>

stretch
07-21-2002, 05:38
When I did the swap out for the 4" exhaust, I did get the OEM out without cutting but I did need to use a small bottle jack to put between the leaf spring and the frame to get a bit more room to slide out the exhaust. smile.gif