PDA

View Full Version : OBD-II recommendations

toophless
10-29-2002, 15:13
AutoTap, AutoXray, Vetronix...

Can anyone recommend any of these or tell me of others to consider.

Updates from the Web and PC hookup desireable.

Thanks

c5dura
10-29-2002, 19:41
I'm using Autotap and it works pretty good although it often craps out when doing real long logs.

Supposedly EASE is the shizz as the makers of that product are/were also involved with the design spec of the data bus.

All the other guys had to reverse engineer their scanners, which is why they have some reliability issues.

You can check out the EASE stuff at http://www.obd2.com/

AbqGeorge
10-29-2002, 20:34
I purchased the "TRICOM" unit from here:

http://www.obd-2.com/

It does a pretty fair job of EPA related stuff on gas engines. Haven't even plugged it into the Duramax yet (only 450 miles on it, first things first). I suspect it won't display much information. Certainly doesn't communicate with the Transmission Control Module (TCM) for example.

It has the capability to send/receive "custom" messages, but I've not come across the info I need to do this yet. I'm a pretty good "propeller head" on this stuff, but simply don't have the time to dig into it. One of these days I may borrow a Tech II and do a little "snooping" at the data packets going back and forth.

Can't believe someone hasn't done this yet.

chuntag95
10-29-2002, 22:13
I have the AutoXray EZLINK. I just downloaded the newest software and I still only get load, speed, air temp, coolant temp, air flow rate, MAP sensor, RPM, OBDII Require and Power take off. Which it says mine is not active and I have been trying to install the high idle switch. Not worth much to be honest if you don't throw a code. Then again, I am just a shade tree guy, so take it for what it's worth. Maybe some of the more savy folks will chime in.

BKoopman
10-31-2002, 16:41
I just picked up AutoTap 2.03 from B&B Electronics (they make it). I drove down there to see what parameters it picks up for the DuraMax. It picked up about 85-95...haven't had time to count them. I ran all the way back to my shop (about 1:20 trip) monitoring Injector Pulse Width #1-4, RPM, Boost Pressure, and MAP. It was pretty informative.
I also was able to finally see what DTC(s) set off my SES light. It turns out I was getting two: P0380 and P0540. Their library of DTCs is only up year 2000 so there was no description for the P0540 but the P0380 said it was a Glow Plug Circuit __________. I can't remember waht that last word was. Anybody know what P0540 is?

Overall, I am happy with the product. When I get home I am going to plug into my wife's Yukon XL to see what it pulls up.

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 17:08
BKoopman,

Which setup did you get? I take it not the generic package. Do you have a laptop or are you using a Palm?

mdrag
10-31-2002, 20:07
Check out www.obdii.com for an explanation of DTC codes.

General Motors P0380 Glow Plug Circuit Performance

Nothing for DTC P0540
:(

chuntag95
10-31-2002, 20:27
According to my manual, P0540 is Intake Air (IA) Heater Feedback Circuit. Description is "The engine control module (ECM) uses an intake air heater (IAH) to warm the incoming air for proper cylinder combustion. The ECM grounds the control coil of the IAH relay to energize the heater during cold operation. If the ECM detects voltage on the IAH circuit when the relay is commanded OFF, or incorrect voltage when the relay is commanded ON, A DTC will set." It goes to say it will rest itself if you go through 3 ignition cycles without a fail and that it takes two consecutive fails to set the DTC. Basically, you should 1) have 8.1 volts or more with the relay off, 2) between 3.8 and 8.1 with the ignition OFF and the heater line voltage is less than 0.5 Volts with the ignition on. or 3) The heater line voltage is less than 3.8 volts with the relay off and the reference line voltage is low with the relay off.

For the P0380, it is set when the ECM has commanded the glow plugs on and the glow plug signal is less than 4 volts OR the ECM has commanded glow plugs off and the glow plug signal voltage is more than 4 volts.

Hope this helps.

[ 10-31-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

C J Fairall
10-31-2002, 22:53
BKoopman
Chuntag95 is correct. The code p0540 is the code for the intake air heater feed back signal. I have seen this code twice in the last two weeks and both times the intake air heater relay was the problem. If the truck is still under the emissions warranry the repair is covered, I expect that your truck is still under warranty. Good luck.
Jim.

BKoopman
11-01-2002, 09:39
Thanks to everyone about the P0540 DTC code. Still don't know what it means but I will check into it. The DTC log showed that P0380 had set twice and P0549 had set twice with one pending. I cleared them out and my SES light went out. It has been approx 60 miles since the reset and no new codes (I have it scanning for them every 20 seconds). It told my that these were last set off 7614 miles ago and I now have 10776 miles.

I have the AT123 running on my laptop. They say it can be used on just about any OBDII vehicle except the Germans (VW, BMW, MB, etc.). They have tested it on GM, Dodge, Ford, Land Rover, and even Subaru to name a few. The Palm version can only read Generic Parameters where as the PC version can read brand specific parameters. They are working on a new version of the Palm which would be able to get those. No release date yet.

I plugged in my wife's GMC Yukon XL this morning. It was able to pull up 125+ parameters! It even gives engine torque, trans input speed, wheel speed (in addition to vehicle speed), plus MANY more. smile.gif

[ 11-01-2002: Message edited by: BKoopman ]</p>

toophless
11-01-2002, 13:48
Thanks All, much appreciated. I think Auto Tap will do what I need.