PDA

View Full Version : air intake question

biker Wayne
12-10-2003, 06:45
Once again I find myself with a question about my Dmax. I find this board to be an invaluable source of information.
I have an '02 and am running an Amsoil 2 stage air filter (yes, I've checked and the backing is not coming apart; its not even blue). I've heard that the '01s had a snorkle that would not allow enough air into the intake. I've also heard about AFE air intake kits. My question is with with a juice chip and 4 inch exhaust, does the stock air intake allow enough air? At WOT I have seen 23 pounds of boost on the boost gauge.
Would an air intake system help and if so, how much? Is it worth the money?
I've done some searches and can't find a conclusive answer.
Thanks for the input.

Kennedy
12-10-2003, 12:25
I'm still running the foam (Uni) filter in the stock ox, and don't feel that I am missing anything. Never saw any difference on the dyno between this setup and the AFEII, but I didn't do a whole lot of scrutinizing...

chevmeister
12-11-2003, 17:19
As far as the info i have heard... from lotsa time on this and other diesel related sites.... the AFE setup does nothing for power... it gives you possibly a faster spoolup.... but not proven by me.... i can prove it makes more noise... and i like it... the uni or amsoil i believe provide better filtration.... all from what i read cept the noise part.... and bout me liking it..

sdaver
12-11-2003, 19:10
afe II for me......... :D dave