PDA

View Full Version : Mileage Drop

Tsckey
08-16-2003, 14:29
Okay, here's one I can't figure out. Since installing an Amsoil dual stage air filter, my mileage has DROPPED about 1 mpg. The truck runs beautifully, response to the go peddle seems improved, the power is wonderful as always, the MAF sensor looks clean, but the numbers have dropped. It is possible that my driving pattern has changed, subtley, but I don't think so, and on the last tank I was very judicious with the peddle. So what gives? The factory filter that I took out was fairly clean, but was about as dense as a block of wood. Is my truck just happier when it's sucking harder?

TC

56Nomad
08-16-2003, 14:34
Tsckey,

I did not notice any mileage improvement in adding
my Amsoil filter but it does not seem that you should
lose milege.

Solution..... add a secondary fuel filter and gain back
that 1 mpg :D

FirstDiesel
08-16-2003, 14:41
56Nomad

Now you did it! ;) Giving HB another soapbox!

Seriously, when I installed my Amsoil AF I noticed no change in mileage either up or down. When I installed my secondary fuel filter I didn't notice a change in mileage either. So I guess the 2 cancelled each other out?? tongue.gif

Or maybe I bought the WRONG filter?? :rolleyes:

56Nomad
08-16-2003, 16:18
Try drilling our your air box and see what happens
Easy to do...... :cool: http://members.cruzio.com/~quailman/SwissCheese.jpg

Minn-kota
08-16-2003, 17:41
Do you typically see an increase in turbo whistle after swiss cheesing the stock airbox?

56Nomad
08-16-2003, 17:49
Minn-kota,

I have not noticed any difference in noise
since the "swiss cheese" of the box.

ram/tx
08-16-2003, 18:01
56nomad---Did you put that aluminum plate in the finder hole? What was the reason behind blocking that hole, I thought fresh air came in that hole.

FirstDiesel
08-16-2003, 18:06
So does water!! :eek:

ram/tx
08-16-2003, 18:38
Not here in West Texas, haven't seen water in 5 years!!!!!! :D :D

Tsckey
08-16-2003, 21:50
Thanks, guys. Drilling out the airbox may have some merit, though I've already improved airflow by switching to the Amsoil filter. I also already have a secondary fuel filter. No cancellation so far. I didn't really expect any performance gains with the new air filter, but I didn't expect to lose mileage, either. It's too early to tell whether I'll get the mileage bump from my fuel filter. I'm also still open to the possibility that there has been a shift in my driving pattern, though darned if I know what it is. Oh, well.

TC

56Nomad
08-17-2003, 00:59
ram/tx,

You guys are really observant..........

I ripped off the glued on aluminum foil barrier
because it most likely will be sucked into the
injection system.

JK addressed this issue..... and I think the
consensus was opening up this air source
might be inviting problems. I decided to close
it off after removing the aluminum foil which
could fail.........any moment

And destroy your engine!

ram/tx
08-17-2003, 07:05
Thanks 56Nomad for the reply, the reason I ask is because I have that piece of aluminum foil on my truck and didn't know it might come off and get sucked into the air filter, still don't have to worry about the water, :rolleyes: so I recon I better pull mine off and replace it with the aluminum plate also. Just love this board for the good information, even if some don't agree on what fuel filter is best to run. Still sitting on the fence on what to install on mine. Oh well it takes all kinds to make this world go around.