PDA

View Full Version : oil drain plug

ndamico
04-16-2002, 21:11
I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question, but i have a manual on back order, have never owned a duramax before and was wondering if someone could tell me where the oil drain plug is. a simple point of reference is fine, i don't need a picture. i found the torque settings on a previous thread.

thanks much!

Rocky B
04-16-2002, 22:08
Oil drain plug, Look under truck and locate engine. Now look for oil pan and at the rear of pan at bottom is the drain plug. Before you change oil buy a fumoto valve. After you make your first oil mess, you will be glad you bought one.

CONCORDMAX
04-16-2002, 22:32
ROCKY B

I know about the oil mess. I filled up the skid plate with oil the first time I changed my oil. I am going to buy the fumoto valve.

Chevy 02 LS 4x4 cc long bed DMax/Allie
Charcoal grey/grafite intieor plus every option you can get on the LS model except leather.
Trenz Custom Billet Grill

Up next, fumoto valve, Husky floor liners and mud flaps.

AKDmax
04-16-2002, 22:43
The Fumoto valve is a nice item, but in order to install it you need to experience the mess (maybe). Makes you really appreciate the valve, and practice cuss words. Read on an earlier post about using cardboard to make a deflector for the oil to keep it away from the skid plate. It works! This board is awesome for advice, tips, and tricks.

ndamico
04-16-2002, 23:55
thanks for the advice..i found it, but had to get a 16mm socket. got the socket, now my damn oil filter wrench broke..i thought the factory installed one would be tight.. oh well. tomorrow!

thanks again

JustWondering
04-17-2002, 04:21
Hey guys,
Has anyone noticed the "drip" hole on the bottom side of the oil pan plug thread. Last oil change I noticed that a couple of pints of oil came out of it. Is my oil pan defective or is this "drip" hole there by design? If it's by design, you'll be blocking the "drip" hole with the Fumoto valve and leaving acouple of pints of junk oil :confused:

bora
07-24-2002, 10:52
How tight does one put the oil filter on?

On my other vehicles I hand tighten it just snug enough.

Is there a torque spec on this?

Bora

johns
07-24-2002, 11:37
I believe what I've read in the Duramax book is 1 turn after the filter seal touches the mount. I go about 1/2 turn.

I destroyed the filter getting off with the first oil change. I got to the point that I was hoping I could get the filter off because it was so far gone that it would have been unusable. I think the factory gets gorilla's from the local zoo to install the oil filters.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: johns ]</p>

Reno DMAX
07-24-2002, 13:37
Bora,

Some Torque Specificatons (courtesy of 77TransAm)

• Differential Plugs.......24 Lb. Ft.
• Engine Oil Drain Plug....62 Lb. Ft. (wow!)
• Engine Oil Filter........18 Lb. Ft.
• Transmission Filter......Tighted one full turn after contact

Thanks 77TransAm for the specs.

bora
07-24-2002, 14:41
62 ft*lbs, that is real high, I will be replacing with a fumoto valve and the instructions specifically state not to overtighten. Hmm.

oneton
07-24-2002, 18:04
I just finished my first oil change on my truck. The original oil filter stated 1/2 turn after contact. I was lucky on the filter. It was on there good but nothing like Johns. Also, there was about 9.5 quarts of oil from the factory. Now for the first pull. ;)