PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

NEW2DMAX
07-20-2002, 22:25
Well heading for moutains next week pulling a 27'bumper pull camper, a friend of mine will be pulling his trailer with a 98 p*&#$%troke, He tells that Monark pass and very steep incline in Colorado will eat my truck alive. My hope is that I pass him on the hill with a S%*# eating grin on my face :D ! WISH ME LUCK!!!!!
2001 CC 4x4 2500HD

AKDmax
07-20-2002, 22:27
Luck!! You're not gonna need it, you'll pass him like he's standing still. Enjoy!

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-21-2002, 06:35
I seem to remember an article about a F**D PSD and a DMAX going head on. The PSD had some mods the Dmax was bone stock. I think the DMax still WON!!!If you are worried get some gauges and the "juice". Like Mackin said GAME OVER.

When you beat 'em, put a notch in your truck, just so you don't lose track.

GMC :D

TBC
07-21-2002, 19:13
NEW2DMAX
I have no doubt your friend will not be smiling when you get to the top of the pass. I haven't been over Monarch pass but I went up LaVeta pass which is about 8% grade for about 5 miles. I was towing a 32 foot tongue pull travel trailer. The F**d was pulling a slightly smaller trailer and I passed him about 1/4 of the way up and never saw him again. I went around him at about 45-50 and was accelerating all the way to the top and was doing 65 MPH and I never put the pedal on the floor. I used to be creeping at 15 mph with my 454 in my Suburban with the same trailer on this pass. Not once in 3450 miles did a PS or Cummings pass me or was able to get close enough on a long pull to pass. This machine is incredible in the mountains or on the interstates. Have a great trip. You will have to slow down so your friend can keep up. It will take discipline and the good part is it will save gas. If you go into Utah and AZ use the truck pumps and get the 3 and 8 cent per gal discounts.

Rebel_Horseman
07-21-2002, 20:27
NEW2DMAX:

I know Monarch Pass all too well. I ski at Monarch Ski Area every year (kinda odd considering I'm from South Louisiana). The pass is definately unique. It's a pretty straightforward route as passes goes but it takes concentration, especially in the winter. There is a nice visitors center at the top of the pass that used to have a Subway in it, where you can have a lunch and then film the Powerjoke as he finally makes it to the top. Just make sure the grade braking is on when you start to descend. Westbound decents are easier then eastbound IMO. Have fun passing the Powerjoke.

Reb

Dietz
07-21-2002, 22:59
NEW2DMAX

As others have said, you won't need any luck. Your truck will eat Monarch pass for lunch and a stock p----s----- for desert. Have fun.

Dietz

Raptorrider2001
07-22-2002, 09:28
NEW2DMAX and TBC - I noticed that both of you have bumper pull trailers. What kind of hitches do you have? Do you get a lot of bounce in your truck with the bumper pulls? I am looking for a trailer and don't know if I want a bumper pull or a 5th wheel. Thought maybe the weight with the 5th wheel might take some of the rough ride out of my short wheel base 4x4. I have a 20' bass boat that weighs around 3000# and doesn't have much hitch weight and is rough riding. Any thoughts? Thanks :confused:

TBC
07-22-2002, 20:54
Raptorrider2001
I am using the factory installed frame hitch with a 2" square Tee head that I have used for 18 years. I have 10,000 pound leveler bars and a friction sway control. I do not get any bounce except on very uneven roads which is common for all trailers. The truck is very stable, no fish tailing. The tongue wt of the trailer is about 800 pounds and it will push the truck down about 4 or 5 inches at most measured at the hitch. The load levelers take very little of the load back through the frame. I adjust the hitch height so that the bars will have tension on them and the trailer is level or slightly nose low (very slightly too). This has always worked well because it puts just enough load on the truck to smooth out the stiff suspension. I have used this same set up on 4 different trailers and 3/4 ton Chev pickups and a 3/4 ton Suburban. I have never had a problem with it at all. It handles very well. The 5th wheelers seem to like the lack of "push" from big trucks and the turning radius as the biggest plus. You need a good sway bar to reduce the big push. I don't notice it as much now as when the 18 wheelers were running a lot of flat nose trucks. It shows how much resistance that flat nose had. I like the tongue pull because it does not consume what truck bed space I have. I have the 6 ft box and have a tool box/fuel tank combo and also carry another 2 X 4 box with other stuff in it. Hope this helps.

Raptorrider2001
07-22-2002, 21:42
TBC - This has been a great help. We really want a bumper pull for the same reasons...don't want to give up my bed. I want to be able to carry my 4 wheeler and not have to pull it on a trailer. I have heard so many times about how much better the 5th wheels pull that I have just become leary of buying a bumper pull and then not like the way it pulls. Thanks again. Raptorrider2001