PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty

NealM68
12-12-2003, 18:30
I'm thinking about getting the extended warranty for my truck. I called 3 dealers and the lowest price I found was 1895.00 for additional 3 years /100K miles with a $100.00 deductible. I'm at 34k now and put on about 20k a year so it would be close on miles and time. I haven't had any real problems yet and with the factory engine warranty I'm wondering if it

MNBowTie
12-12-2003, 21:14
NealM68,

$1895, was that quote for the Major Guard, for an additional 3 years and/or 54,000 miles? If so, then, I would jump on it. I just paid $2035, a week ago at my stealer. BTW, I got a quote direct from GM and it was $2485. Also, be careful on the mileage coverage there are several packages, and they start from your actual odometer reading at the time of purchase. I average about 18,000 a year, so the package I chose, will have coverage up to 90,000.

rcarbs
12-13-2003, 06:24
Extended warranties are insurance policies. Only insure what you cant replace. I would take that $1895, put it in the bank and take out what you need to make any repairs when they occur. That's what the "insurance company" does with it and they know that the majority of the time the repairs will be much less than that $1895. When ever you purchase a new vehicle put the amount of the extended warranty in that same account and watch it grow. Before long that account may even make a huge down payment on your next dream vehicle. So far I have purchased 3 new vehicles in 12 years and have only had one major repair in which I needed $1200 to fix the A/C. I am up almost $3000 so far.

Another thing.....that $1895 seems extremely high being that the Duramax already has a 100,000 mile warranty with a $100 deductible. Your really paying $1895 for the remainder of the vehicle for only 3 additional years. Plus don't forget all those items that the warranty doesn't cover. To me it just doesn't make sense.

NealM68
12-13-2003, 06:53
They said they can't call it bumper to bumper because some things like brakes aren't covered but it

MNBowTie
12-15-2003, 10:51
Rcarbs:

Ask your self this: Two years from now, you

cowboywildbill
12-16-2003, 16:58
I just purchased an extended waranty from my dealer. I have 35,903 miles on the truck. I paid $1478.00 for an additional 75,000 miles from the present odometer reading and 60 more months of coverage. It has no deductable if I go to my dealer, or I can go to any certified shop to have work done and pay a $50.00 deductable. It is a bumper to bumper plan. The dealer says it is the same as thier higher priced plan that cost $3,000.00 at purchase time and only goes 100,000 and 5 years. This plan is through National Auto Care Corp. He said it is a subbsiderary of GM. I hope it is as good as they say it is. Any one heard of it? I guess I'll find out if I ever have a claim.

moisheh
12-16-2003, 19:48
cowboy wild bill : Do you also believe in the tooth fairy. Never make the mistake of thinking the dealer will tell you the truth. I doubt that comapny is part of the General. Have you actually read the policy? I think you will find it borders on being a scam.There is no free lunch.

20050916|18|000024|000037|66.82.9.55
12-16-2003, 21:53
hello all first post
Just picked up new 04 D/A last thursday
had a hard time decideing to cancel order
and wait for lly so i let the $ decide, I got
zero % and i couldnt wait
I also bought ext warranty direct from GM.
Supplier & fleet discount brought it down to
$1295. 7 yrs 76,000 miles lower miles then
what i am reading here maybe cause its direct
GM warranty, anyway best part finacing is $21.00
a month again no % and if i dont have i claim
all money if refunded CHEAP INSURANCE ON
EXPENSIVE TRUCK

20050528|8|000731|000000|205.188.117.71
12-23-2003, 17:12
I have seen that it is usually better to get the extended warranty from the manufacture of the vehicle. The aftermarket companies are not easy to deal with from the repair center point of view. The problem has to be specifically listed as covered or forget about having it paid for. The factory warranties get processed the same way as the original warranty and are easier to work with.

Mark

cowboywildbill
12-30-2003, 18:32
You had to go and ruin it for me! Next you will tell me that Santa isn't real either. "Ha Ha" Well I do know that when I was a kid, I put my tooth under the pillow and in the morning I woke up with some money! I guess it doesn't work with truck parts though. I was leery of these policies also, but someone else had the same policy on his 6.5 and he said it paid for a lot of different claims, with no problems. I asked my local Auto Mall service writers, They sell and service "Chevy/ Dodge and three or four other brands of auto's & trucks. this dealer worked on our Dodge cummins about 20 times "for real" including 6 transmission rebuilds and one total new replacement tranny and OD unit, in just 93,000 miles.(And I didn't buy any vehicles from them) much of this work was under the Chrysler extended warranty.Thank goodness I bought that warranty! They were always great about fixing it. Any way I asked them about this aftermarket warranty that I purchased from my selling dealer"who is out of state" but gave me a "Deal"on the warranty. The service writers at the Auto Mall said that they never had a problem with this company and that it was about as hassle free as a factory extended warranty. they said it paid immediatley with a credit card of some kind, and with no money out of the customers pocket. I asked them if they knew if my warranty was part of GM, and they said that they didn't think it was a GM company, but that they have heard that some manufacturers have an interest in, or arrangement with some of these companies due to the fact that the dealers broker the policies for them. He said that if the companies don't come through for thier customers, that it looks bad on the dealer that sold the warranty. And that thier dealership only carried (sold) the Factory extended warranty's and two aftermarket policies one of them being the one I purchased. They did say that there were some policies out there that they personally wouldn't buy at all because when they dealt with them for the claim on the customers auto's that were in for work, that the service dept.would get the run around from the companies, and sometimes the customer had to pay up front and then try to get reimbursed later by thier policy. Because that is the way the policy was written. Any way I feel better after talking to them. I guess if I ever have to use it, I'll find out how good it really is or isn't. It is a gamble I guess. I know that when I purchased the truck, GM wanted $3,000 for the extended warranty. That is why I waited. Oh, I think that even Suncoast might be able to do repairs under this policy, if I ever need any trans work done! "Hmm"" Happy New Year to Everyone"

[ 12-30-2003, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Cowboy Wild Bill ]

nampadmax
12-30-2003, 20:10
Hey, for what it's worth, I purchased a 03 D/A 2500HD 4x4 Ext. cab in June. Purchased an extended warranty for 2100.00. When I called my insurance company, GEICO, they said 'too bad' I'd bought an extended warranty from a dealed because they provide that service. I asked how much. It's approx. $75.00 every 6 months, bumper to bumper, and it's not required to own from the beginning of the policy period. You can purchase it at any time prior to the warranty expiration of the vehicle. I sold my warranty back on the vehicle as principle and purchased Geico's ext. policy.

NealM68
01-13-2004, 19:56
I checked with Geico and they said the truck had to have less than 11,000 miles on it to qualify for mechanical coverage. After all this I think I'll keep the money in a savings account and take my chances. I appreciate all the responces.